Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Daffodil Dolls
Registered Users
Formerly: GiftsfromGod
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pack rat husband

One thing that worked for us (especially with the clothes that DH thought he *needed*) was he allowed me to box up what I thought was extra. Then we set a time period (for us it was 6 months I think) If in that time he thought of something that was missing and wanted to wear it then I would go to the box and get it out. He was never allowed to see what all I put in the box. After the time allowed was up I donated everything that was left in the box that he hadn't needed. He realized that most of the stuff he thought he needed he didn't miss and couldn't even think of what it was that I had taken away. He was also able to see how having less clutter around made life so much nicer.

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil Dolls View Post
One thing that worked for us (especially with the clothes that DH thought he *needed*) was he allowed me to box up what I thought was extra. Then we set a time period (for us it was 6 months I think) If in that time he thought of something that was missing and wanted to wear it then I would go to the box and get it out. He was never allowed to see what all I put in the box. After the time allowed was up I donated everything that was left in the box that he hadn't needed. He realized that most of the stuff he thought he needed he didn't miss and couldn't even think of what it was that I had taken away. He was also able to see how having less clutter around made life so much nicer.
This is quite possibly the smartest idea I've ever heard. But I don't think my DH would go for it. He would be just sure his treasures were in there, even if he didn't notice what was missing he would be sad.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil Dolls
Might try this if I can talk dh into it. Thanks!
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Riverleaf1772
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
Haha, sounds like my DH. Very frustrating because I get rid of things that I would like to keep too. It feels like he isn't willing to part with his silly little things. I give him some space in his room that he can keep his things, but everything else in the house is more or less fair game. A lot of it I just chuck when he's not paying attention (he suddenly becomes attached to anything about to leave), it's all just clutter stuff, nothing he values. But if there's something I'm on the fence about that he may miss or may have other value I'll consult him.
They are so like kids that way aren't they? My DH is the same way. If stuff's just in a box, he'll forget we even have it. But let me go through it while cleaning out and put it in the donation pile and suddenly that's his precious! I over purge my stuff just to keep the house decent.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
luvmybabes85
Registered Users
seller

mine is the same! I did laugh when I got to the part about your hubby buying a cardboard version of himself;-) lol....sounds like he just likes to spend money! Sit down with him and figure a roundabout amount you could possibly save if he would think before he buys something. Make a rule (for both of you) that you will stop impulse buying and think at least 2 days before you buy something so you know if its really needed.:-) good luck!

my iso/iha:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1235645
luvmybabes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
k_21
Registered Users

My DH has a stash of high school and college homework that will never get used. He also buys used books like crazy and won't part with any, even the bad ones. And he has a hard time throwing away magazines. We finally came to an agreement that he could have one bucket full of whatever useless crap he wanted to keep, and as long as it stayed within that bucket, I wouldn't touch it.

One way I finally curbed some of my husband's used book spending was by setting vacation money goals. We both like vacations, so whenever we want to spend money on non-essentials, we have to think about how much it would grow our vacation fund if we put the money in there instead. Works most of the time.
k_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
Made of Fleece
Registered Users
Formerly: cidcatrichards
seller

I had to read this thread when I read the title. DH is absolutely the same.
I started with simple reasoning. No result.
I threw things away, he would retrieve them from the trash and we would argue (well, *I* would reason).
I moved things to the far corners of the house and to the 5 (yes, FIVE) sheds so that at least I wouldn't have to look at the stuff (until now when we are packing to move, ugh!).
I have *in shame* resorted to donating things in secret, but little by little so the gaping hole in the closet wouldn't be so obvious so fast.
DH also has boxes full of old car magazines, but he highlights the articles that are good, so my next project is to scan those articles so he can at least have them to refer to and I can recycle them without guiltl.
It's an uphill battle all the time. But sometimes I appreciate the pack-rat-ing because he comes up with stuff to fix the house with all the time, stuff saved from eons back, and then I remember why I love him.