Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
question for next time I'm shipping something small

So I traded with a great mama on here - my gift card for her hemp inserts. No problems at all with the transaction.

However, I knew it was rules here to do delivery confirmation and figured I could just send it in a regular envelope and just pay the 75 cents or whatever it is at the post office to get DC.

Then at the post office they said I can't do that, the only way to get delivery confirmation was to ship Priority and it was over $5. They said that is the only option. So they put my envelope in a bigger envelope, stuck a delivery confirmation thing on it and I paid $5 to mail something that should've only cost a stamp.

Is this really the only way? Help me out, I felt so stupid! How do you ship light things with delivery confirmation?

Advertisement

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I ship first class with delivery confirmation all the time. So, that's strange. Anyway, I'm subbing to this thread so I can know too.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: question for next time I'm shipping something small

You can ship first class package with dc. So I guess add a little fluff to the envelope so it's too thick for first class envelope? I dunno. The po is getting ridiculous in its misapplication of its own policies lately.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes, it needs to be at least 1/4 inch(I think) to ship first class with DC.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Weird, I just toss GCs in a polymailer and haven't had any problems. I was under the impression that as long as it was in a mailer, not an envelope, it was ok.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
expaik
Registered Users
seller

It all depends on the size of the stick up the butt of each post office.

I've sent gift cards in completely flat greeting card envelopes, with a first-class shipping label attached, and my PO never gave me grief about it.

Some post offices will charge the recipient the 17 cents extra in first-class shipping because the package weighed 0.1 oz over the number of ounces paid for by the sender. Whereas I've received a package that weighed WELL over a pound but was sent first-class (i.e. supposedly under 13 ounces) without any extra charges added on.

Some post offices will refuse/return your padded flat rate envelope if you ship it using a regular flat rate shipping label (or charge the recipient the extra 15 cents for the difference in cost) whereas 99.5% of the time it will go through just fine.

It all depends on the PO.

Last edited by expaik; 11-27-2012 at 01:49 PM.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
anniekins1488
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik View Post

I've sent gift cards in completely flat greeting card envelopes, with a first-class shipping label attached, and my PO never gave me grief about it.

Some post offices will charge the recipient the 17 cents extra in first-class shipping because the package weighed 0.1 oz over the number of ounces paid for by the sender. Whereas I've received a package that weighed WELL over a pound but was sent first-class (i.e. supposedly under 13 ounces) without any extra charges added on.

Some post offices will refuse/return your padded flat rate envelope if you ship it using a regular flat rate shipping label (or charge the recipient the extra 15 cents for the difference in cost) whereas 99.5% of the time it will go through just fine.

Bwahahahaha!! This is SO true!

Swag with me! I earn $25 in Amazon gift cards every month with very little effort! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Anniekins1488
anniekins1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

now not so giggle...
ok, so I've sent a few first class packages that I think are right at the oz, according to my handy scale. Should I be rounding up in fear that the delivering PO will charge the buyer?? I would feel terrible-- and leaves the buyer feeling annoyed. I drop mine off and hand them to the person at the counter and get a receipt. They are great all around pleasant people and just gently toss my packages right in the pick- up pile. Is it my PO, somewhere along the line, or the delivering PO who would flag something??
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by c&w's mama View Post

now not so giggle...
ok, so I've sent a few first class packages that I think are right at the oz, according to my handy scale. Should I be rounding up in fear that the delivering PO will charge the buyer?? I would feel terrible-- and leaves the buyer feeling annoyed. I drop mine off and hand them to the person at the counter and get a receipt. They are great all around pleasant people and just gently toss my packages right in the pick- up pile. Is it my PO, somewhere along the line, or the delivering PO who would flag something??
To reassure yourself that your scale is accurate (and my cheapo mechanical kitchen scale has stayed accurate for years, there's a little dial in the back to re-calibrate it to 0 if it gets knocked off kilter), just keep a "weight" on hand. Like a heavy magnet or something that you have weighed on a supermarket checkstand and know the exact weight to the fractional ounce, that you can occasionally pop on your scale to tell you it's still accurate.

If you want extra reassurance that you didn't underestimate the weight, there are often automated kiosks in the lobbies of POs that you can weigh your package on, or you can always ask the clerk to weigh it for you.

And to answer your last question, both the source and destination POs may verify the weight of the package. If the source does and you owe postage, it will be returned to you. If the destination does, they may either return to sender with postage due, or deliver it with postage due. I've had both happen.

Last edited by expaik; 11-28-2012 at 08:35 PM.
expaik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
anniekins1488
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
To reassure yourself that your scale is accurate (and my cheapo mechanical kitchen scale has stayed accurate for years, there's a little dial in the back to re-calibrate it to 0 if it gets knocked off kilter), just keep a "weight" on hand. Like a heavy magnet or something that you have weighed on a supermarket checkstand and know the exact weight to the fractional ounce, that you can occasionally pop on your scale to tell you it's still accurate.

If you want extra reassurance that you didn't underestimate the weight, there are often automated kiosks in the lobbies of POs that you can weigh your package on, or you can always ask the clerk to weigh it for you.

And to answer your last question, both the source and destination POs may verify the weight of the package. If the source does and you owe postage, it will be returned to you. If the destination does, they may either return to sender with postage due, or deliver it with postage due. I've had both happen.
Ellen, that's a really good idea! I can't believe I've never thought of that! Thank you!

Swag with me! I earn $25 in Amazon gift cards every month with very little effort! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Anniekins1488
anniekins1488 is offline   Reply With Quote