Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
chach4
Registered Users
seller

stay at home moms, does your baby take a bottle?

If you are with your baby almost al the time, do u do bottles???

stay at home moms, does your baby take a bottle?

I'm asking because....
My baby, now 6 mo old, did well with bottles early on, and then, (because I didn't keep up on it too much), she didn't want them anymore... I've been trying diff things/bottles, but she's not interested. Which isn't really a big deal since I'm a stay at home mom and am with her almost all the time. I do teach a couple gymnastics classes but am never away for more than 3 hrs and she is ok during that stretch. And sometimes I can even bring her with to the gyms daycare so the ammt of time I'm away is even less... I've only NEEDED her to take a bottle once from someone else when I was gone for 7 hrs.

Anyway, I don't have any other things planned soon that would require me to be away from her more than the time in between feedings, so I'm wondering if its worth pushing it? Before I know it she will be eating solids and nurse less...

I know some of u out there have never given your babe a bottle, right?

What do you do?

Advertisement

chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: stay at home moms, does your baby take a bottle?

Nope. I don't introduce a bottle until my kids start using sippy cups. So around 1 year of age. And then they use them the same as you or I would use a sports bottle. My youngest is now 20 months old. He picked out his last sippy based on color. When I opened the package I realized it was really a fancy bottle. He wound up throwing it on the floor because he couldn't figure it out. Be generally uses straw sippys or drinks well out of a cup. He just likes to throw the cup when he no longer wants it. So I prefer he uses a sippy.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

When baby is small where I go baby goes. It isn't optional. When you have that mind set not taking baby with seems as unreasonable as not taking your foot with. It makes keeping up a supply easier. It also is cheaper as I don't have to pay out for a pump, bottles, freezer bags or whatever else you need to have a milk stash.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Camsmom13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup. We do one small bottle every evening. It gives me a bit of a break until bed time. I used to feel guilty but now I don't because I chose sanity over guilt
Camsmom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

My 8 month old has never had a bottle. I don't own one, never bothered to try. I schedule time away to be between feeds, or, if it's longer she comes with me or I don't go. I haven't really felt like I've missed out on anything. We're starting solids, so before too long I'll be more free to go places for longer if needed.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
chach4
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess
My 8 month old has never had a bottle. I don't own one, never bothered to try. I schedule time away to be between feeds, or, if it's longer she comes with me or I don't go. I haven't really felt like I've missed out on anything. We're starting solids, so before too long I'll be more free to go places for longer if needed.
I kinda feel the same way that what I need to do I can do between feedings...and at this point, I'm kinda ready to give up trying the bottle since I don't foresee needing to be away from her for too long in the upcoming months.

I REALLY do NOT miss the pump!. I pumped for 9 months while working full time with my son. So glad I'm not doing that this time around!

I think I need to stop stressing about her not taking a bottle well....because if she isn't with someone else for that long, then WHY???
Well I know why. Because when I'm gone for 2.5-3 hrs on gymnastics nights, if she started to fuss(even an hr after I just fed her, my husband would try and feed her, thinking that was the problem. When, that wasn't the issue...so he got frustrated, id get frustrated....but now he understands that she should be ok for a 2.5 hr stretch and to try other things.. (usually she's tired)... And also that I don't need to listen to my MIL, who has also watched her here and there for an hr while I go to an appt... But she is DEFINEATELY not starving from being away from me for an hour. But of course its all my fault cause she doesn't take the bottle and the poor girl is starving(even tho I feed her at my mil's house before I walk out the door).

Ok, end rant.... Listening to my gut going forward.
chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
nw2bargaining
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My baby is now breastfed 99% if the time. She will take a bottle and has never experienced nipple confusion. I have been lucky with that. There are times when I cant breastfeed, but it is my first choice always. I do pump but my stash is not where I want it be. Im having trouble with that part.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Camsmom13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chach4 View Post
I kinda feel the same way that what I need to do I can do between feedings...and at this point, I'm kinda ready to give up trying the bottle since I don't foresee needing to be away from her for too long in the upcoming months.

I REALLY do NOT miss the pump!. I pumped for 9 months while working full time with my son. So glad I'm not doing that this time around!

I think I need to stop stressing about her not taking a bottle well....because if she isn't with someone else for that long, then WHY???
Well I know why. Because when I'm gone for 2.5-3 hrs on gymnastics nights, if she started to fuss(even an hr after I just fed her, my husband would try and feed her, thinking that was the problem. When, that wasn't the issue...so he got frustrated, id get frustrated....but now he understands that she should be ok for a 2.5 hr stretch and to try other things.. (usually she's tired)... And also that I don't need to listen to my MIL, who has also watched her here and there for an hr while I go to an appt... But she is DEFINEATELY not starving from being away from me for an hour. But of course its all my fault cause she doesn't take the bottle and the poor girl is starving(even tho I feed her at my mil's house before I walk out the door).

Ok, end rant.... Listening to my gut going forward.
I so understand how you feel! Was just "there" last week with hubby. We thought he was hungry and not getting enough from me because of a surgery I had and we tried to shove a bottle down his throat in the middle of the day at a time he wasn't used to. What a disaster!! Everyone got frustrated and upset. Turns out he was just wayyyyy over tired. as a side note, the only reason my son takes a bottle is because he was hospitalized at birth and we were seperated physically for several days. The hospital introduced the bottle before the boob was able to go to him. Incredibly, he prefers boob over bottle now but I give him that one little bottle each night which helps to keep it familiar. And even though I could leave him for a few hours at this point, I haven't yet. So don't feel bad, know that your baby is getting what she needs and teach your husband how to bounce around a room and tell your MIL that your nipple is tastier than plastic.
Camsmom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

no, she has never liked bottles, I tried different brands with bm too and she wouldn't have it. Now she does accept the nuby sippycup with handles though.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a SAHM and DD#2 is 6 mos. and not good with bottles at all. And I respect the whole "baby goes with me EVERYWHERE PERIOD" mamas but there are two places I would love to go but can't with baby: book club (monthly) and movies with hubby (not even monthly). So it would be really awesome if baby would take a bottle. As it is I'm hoping she learns to like solids faster than her sister did. I think desiring a specific, limited amount of child-free time is ok and not something I'm going to bother feeling guilty about. Because I am otherwise "on" as mama 24/7.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote