Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Never really, most older kids dont nurse, but it wouldnt bother me to see a 4-5 year old nursing. I personally wouldnt nurse my 5 year old, but not because I think it is "weird"

The oldest nursling I have had is 2 and it wasnt weird at all.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #22
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long before breastfeeding becomes "weird" to you?

To the friends who think you should just give a 6+ month old a bottle - do they not realize how difficult it can be to pump enough? So many moms who work full time and pump have a hard time keeping up with the baby's demand while away. And I agree that feeding at the breast is much more than just nourishment.

As far as how old? I don't know. Anthropologically speaking, children self wean between 2.5 and 7 years. Personally, I plan on nursing until at least 2, per the WHO recs. After that? We'll see how it goes.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfairy1980 View Post
4 and older. I have mixed feelings about not being able to bf my son.

I pimped for 15 mo.

I'm sure he'd still be night nursing and attached to my boob every chance he got. I'm really thankful he's not. Sleeping on my tummy is the only comfortable way for me to sleep. I do not want my 40+ lb toddler climbing on me to nurse all night. My hips would hurt so bad, I'd be at the Chiro every day, and could barely walk, prolly.
This typo made me lol
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #24
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd is almost 3 and nurses, doesnt feel weird. we havent nip in a really long time tho
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #25
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins are still nursing some at 3 1/2 and it's not weird to me at all. The soonest any of my kids quit BF was 2 years of age.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

DS2 nursed to 28 months it didnt get weird i was just preggo and it hurt
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #27
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursed my first for about 35 months until she self weaned. People finally got tired of asking if she still nursed. I'm more educated this time and plan on nursing until she's ready to stop. The first time was because she would only go to sleep nursing!

You do what feels right for you and your baby and don't let anybody make you feel like you are doing anything wrong, whether its nursing for four weeks or four years . Good luck and enjoy it while it lasts!
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #28
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm nursing my 4 year old and it's not weird--but day by day the changes and growth are so imperceptible that she's still my baby. She nurses twice a day and most people don't know it because it's before bedtime and rest time. In fact, I don't think anyone really knows except DH. It just doesn't come up in conversation.

It works for our family. I didn't plan to do this, really, but it's how it's worked out.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
I have nursed for 3 years with 2 of the kids and 2+ with another. DD1 was tandem nursing w/ DS1 when I got pregnant again and I felt like that would be a bit much for my body to handle. She is very bright and was understanding. I nursed DS1 until I had DD2 and our personal life was AWFUL and I lost 80lbs in 3mo. There was no way I could nurse the infant and DS. DD3 will be 2 next weekend and shows no signs of weaning even though I am pregnant and my milk dried up. I had no "weird" issues with them nursing at 3yo it was more that the logistics caused an issue. For us 2 years is a minimum. It is a very personal choice. You will follow your mama heart and do the right thing for your family.
So your dd is dry nursing?
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know! I nursed DS till he was 24 months, he fully weaned the week after he turned 2. I was sad at the time, though also relieved because I was 7 months pregnant. At the time, he could barely string two words together and was still very much my "baby" in my eyes.

I am currently nursing DD who is 18 months. Sometimes when we NIP it feels odd because she acts like such a grown toddler. She's full of sass, talks in almost complete sentences, and with the exception of nursing frequently is extremely independent. At home it feels natural. Out in public I'm finding myself trying to overcome hang ups I never knew I had about people judging me. She can clearly talk and asks for milk often, accompanied by the usual toddler chest-grabbing. Since DS could neither say nor sign milk till after he weaned, I think that was my crutch. He was also extremely small for his age, off the charts even. Now I have no "excuse," and for some reason that makes me a little uncomfortable. But it doesn't change the fact that I still do it anyway, and don't have plans to wean anytime soon.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote