Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #31
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long before breastfeeding becomes "weird" to you?

I nursed my first for 22 months then I weaned because the pregnancy hormones were freaking me out.
I plan to nurse this guy for at least two years, or until he wants to stop. I don't think it would be weird to me until after 3 years.
But, my daughter looks really big for her age, and she's not 3 yet, so I don't know if it would be weird if this one grows as fast as she has. She's as big as some 4 and almost 5 year olds that I know. I definitely wouldn't be nursing in public if I had a child that looked that old; it's just not comfortable for me.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #32
cbreeding
Registered Users

My minimum is a year. After that it's day by day. My older two I nursed until around 2yo. When I think about it, 2yo seems weird to still be nursing. However, when I'm nursing them it doesn't seem strange. If that makes sense. Honestly I love how beneficial nursing an older "baby' can be. It can sooth tantrums in an instant, relax an overtired or over stimulated child, and provide nourishment to the sick child that won't consume anything else.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #33
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I think it would be weird to see an 8 year old nursing, but then again I've never seen it so I can't really say for sure. My nursling is 3yo and I feel confident he'll nurse until he's 4, but I think he'll wean before 5.

If you would have asked me the same question before I had an older nursling my answer may have been different. I may have said 5, but since we'll go about that long it doesn't seem weird now, kwim?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
Janet4
Registered Users
seller

Didn't read all of the responses, but....I nursed my 1st 3 kiddos as long as they liked. That ended up at about 12 mos for #2 & #3. #1 nursed until about 16 mos. Now I'm a little older w/a 4th child. She's had problems w/food allergies, particularly dairy. I exclusively bf'd her b/c finding a formula would have been much more expensive. Now, at 3 yrs old (in Oct), we are finally down to 1x per day. Sometimes if she's super grumpy, I'll consent to an extra nursing. If asked ahead of time, I'd have thought that I'd be uncomfortable with it. But it turns out that you "grow" into it. It is still special. And, up until about 1 month ago, I would consent to nurse in public. I sometimes got an odd look, but never any rude comments.

Long story short I'd continue as long as it is comfortable for you! It really isn't so unusual to nurse beyond 1 yr.
Janet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #35
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS self-weaned at 13.5 months. I would have gone longer. I'm hoping DD goes longer than DS did. We have a long way to go yet, she's only 8 weeks old.

I start getting uncomfortable with the thought of nursing a kid beyond age 3. If that's what works for you and your family, then great - no judgement! It's just not for me.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #36
Meredith+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started out with CLW as my goal for my kids, and my oldest certainly tested my resolve! He nursed a long, long time, long enough that I'm careful with who I tell how long, and weaned on his own.

DS2 decided he was done at 4, and DS3 is still a total boob man at 15 months. For me, it probably gets "weird" at puberty.

ETA: DS1 is 9, and he's been weaned for a long time. I already said DS2 weaned at 4, so it's safe to say it's somewhere in between those two.

Last edited by Meredith+2; 11-29-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: add info
Meredith+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #37
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Before I had DD I had never seen anyone or really knew anyone who nursed a toddler, so it was foreign to me but not really weird. After I started going to LLL meetings, BFing a toddler just seemed normal. DD is 19 months and still going strong. It's not weird at all to me, although it's probably weird to others who see her because she is so big, and especially if you can't see her baby face while she's nursing, she looks much older than she is. I don't think many people even realize we're nursing when they see us...the only time I've ever registered any kind of reaction is the poor teenage waitress who did a triple take and was so embarrassed when she realized we were nursing
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #38
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith+2 View Post
I started out with CLW as my goal for my kids, and my oldest certainly tested my resolve! He nursed a long, long time, long enough that I'm careful with who I tell how long, and weaned on his own.

DS2 decided he was done at 4, and DS3 is still a total boob man at 15 months. For me, it probably gets "weird" at puberty.
Now I am dying to know how long you nursed your oldest.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #39
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Like, what age?

I ask because friends of mine (well, more like acquaintances) think that me wanting to nurse for a year is weird. Some of them even said, "Why not just give the baby breastmilk in a bottle after 6 months? It's the same thing." To me, it's just not the same thing. The MOST important thing is the baby getting the breastmilk, yes. But another important thing that I am looking forward to is the bonding time.

So, how old do you think is "too old" to actually breastfeed?
For me personally, I had DD2 weaned around 15 months, but I was soooo done. It starts getting weird for me between 2-3 years. My opinion on this has changed drastically since having children of my own, BTW. And I even FFed DD1.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #40
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

For me it didn't "feel" weird until they had stopped! All of mine were 2+ and it always was just nursing my baby...until they were dont and then they magically morphed into little people...who I no longer had the desire to nurse!! Don't let other peoples opinions get to you! Other people are far to often rude and judgemental and you are doing an amazing thing for you LO!!!
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote