Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #41
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long before breastfeeding becomes "weird" to you?

We used loosing the first baby teeth as our no more nursing age with DS1. He still wants to nurse though at 6.5yo. I would not have a problem with it, but he no longer latches properly and it hurts when he tries. He has not latched properly since 4yo.

When our doc asked, once a long time ago, I told him that as long as they weaned before leaving for college, it was all good.

I think for me personally, once puberty hits, the idea of nursing is 'weird'. Up to that point it would just be outside the range of typical.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
huntressxx
Registered Users

My Mood:
5 years!
Gonna be Cloth Diapering A Newborn August 24th, 2012
huntressxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #43
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My minimum would be a year. If i had to stop for any medical reason I would aim to get to a year at least. However I stopped nursing my oldest just after her third birthday, and my almost 3 year old is still nursing. My baby is 12 months and still nursing as well. I think for my personally after 3 starts to feel weird. But that's me, other people can do what they wish!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #44
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me View Post
We used loosing the first baby teeth as our no more nursing age with DS1. He still wants to nurse though at 6.5yo. I would not have a problem with it, but he no longer latches properly and it hurts when he tries. He has not latched properly since 4yo.

When our doc asked, once a long time ago, I told him that as long as they weaned before leaving for college, it was all good.

I think for me personally, once puberty hits, the idea of nursing is 'weird'. Up to that point it would just be outside the range of typical.
I don't know what it is about forgetting how to latch. My oldest askedt to nurse after a week of no nursing. I let her try but for some reason she just couldn't figure it out.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #45
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I nursed ds until 13 months, and dd until I think 27 months. I know some inlaws thought it was weird for me to nurse dd so long, but it didn't feel weird to me. Both my kids self weaned. IDK if it would feel "weird" to nurse a 3yo (since I never have), but I don't think I'd want to nurse a 3yo. If I ever had another who wanted to nurse that long, Id know for sure though!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #46
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

DS weaned at almost 16 months because my pregnancy made my supply disappear. I was very sad. he didn't miss it at all.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #47
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I nursed my youngest DS until he was 23 months and self weaned. It wasn't weird at all, nor was it sad when he weaned as it happened so naturally.

Dd is nearly 16 months and its not weird at all yet. She still seems like a baby when she's curled up in my lap.

ETA oops forgot the other two ds1 weaned at 13 months and I was done. I was working ft and in school and it was so hard to keep my supply up because I was young and not eating well. Ds2 was ff.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***

Last edited by mommabritt; 11-29-2012 at 06:43 PM.
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #48
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Wrote quote. :/

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***

Last edited by mommabritt; 11-30-2012 at 10:23 PM.
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #49
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Interesting thread. Ds is almost 22 months and shows no signs of weaning. He absolutely loves nursing. Me, I'm almost over it because he still nurses through the night and lately has been playing with my other nipple with his fingers. Hurts a lil and drives me nuts. But i will continue to nurse, at least til 2 i think
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #50
LRL
Registered Users
seller

I nursed DS1 to 18 months and DS2 to 2.5 years, pumping at work for both until about 15 months. They both weaned on their own, but my personal limit would be when they started to ask for it (think "whining" for it, rather than crying for it as a necessity). We'll see how long DD wants to nurse... I definitely think it's weird to have a three and four year old nursing, but that's probably just because I've never been there!
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote