Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Really would love one for my bday in January but have no clue about anything related to a serger. Don't have a ton to spend, but don't want to end up with a hunk of junk. I nearly died when my parents neighbor said I can have hers - turns out it's a broken 90's sewing machine with a zigzag stitch.

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm
Really would love one for my bday in January but have no clue about anything related to a serger. Don't have a ton to spend, but don't want to end up with a hunk of junk. I nearly died when my parents neighbor said I can have hers - turns out it's a broken 90's sewing machine with a zigzag stitch.
Oh, I would have been disappointed. At the very least it could've been a serger, but no, just a sewing machine. Boo.

I have and love my Babylock but it's pricier. I do see rave reviews for the Brother 1034D, and it runs between $180-$120.

You could check local shops to see if they have any nicer ones used. Be cautious if you check out CL since you will likely have to get it serviced which can be pricey.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was soooo disappointed. She built it up hardcore for like a week - thankfully she dropped it off at my parents so she didn't see my crushed hopes and dreams. Lol

Thanks for the tip! Is there different features on different sergers or just better qualities?

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 11-28-2012 at 10:22 PM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Affordable serger?

If you don't have a ton to spend, you may want to look into used. There are some older workhorses out there. I have a Toyota from the 80s that I got for a good price a few years back. It's metal and easy to thread. I don't use it any more.. I discovered my vintage sewing machine has this really cool overlock stitch feature and it serves my needs without having to switch machines. I have thought of selling off the serger but haven't been able to actually do it (I think I'm a hoarder in hiding sometimes), if you are interested we can talk
Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the Brother 1034D and it is fabulous! Went through 24 fitted diapers like butter. After about 3 years of (ab)use, I think I may finally have dulled the knife. And it needs a good cleaning. But even without being cared for properly, it still works perfectly!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just replaced my $950 Pfaff (it died after 4 years) with a $200 Brother 1034D and I really like the Brother so far.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you do a search for 1034d you will find lots of threads of people who love that machine. I love mine,and I know most others do too. I really think its the best machine until you get to the $450+ machines. Do avoid the $200 singer sergers. Lots of unhappy owners of those. There are different features in sergers, but the 1034d does everything most people need it to. It has differential feed, 3 or 4 thread serging, and adjustable stitch width. The knife disengages easily (best feature!) and it's pretty easy to thread.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks sooo much ladies! I'm definitely going to look into it, maybe if we aren't flat broke after our wedding I can get one for my birthday. Lol

Is there a big learning curve with sergers? They look so easy but so do a lot of other things. Lol
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
MelandMack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use my Brother 1034d every day. I liked my now dead Babylock better, but for the price the 1034d can not be beat.
Fleece Diapering Items- www.wildchildforbabies.etsy.com - **Goodbye Sale**- All reminaing fleece is stocked. Use Coupon Code GOODBYE25 for 25% off orders of $15 or GOODBYE to save an extra 10% on any order.
MelandMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm View Post
Thanks sooo much ladies! I'm definitely going to look into it, maybe if we aren't flat broke after our wedding I can get one for my birthday. Lol

Is there a big learning curve with sergers? They look so easy but so do a lot of other things. Lol
Threading is a lot more complicated than a sewing machine, and serging curves can be a challenge (at least for me on my machine...I have a Juki MO 654 DE). However, now that I can easily thread w/o the manual and sort of serge curves, it's been pretty straightforward. My next goal is to try wooly nylon, I have the thread just haven't taken the time to try it out I love my Juki, it's VERY quiet, doesn't ever walk or vibrate, even at top speeds.

I highly recommend getting a general book on sergers. This looks like it might be a good one, I think it's one I read from the library:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/0806998075

I have these, and they were great in the beginning since I didn't know anyone in real life with a serger:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/0865733309

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/0801986451

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote