Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you get sick, does your supply drop?

I'm sick. It's just a bad cold, but I have a fever and everything. (I guess it could be the flu, but I tend to assume it's always a cold and ignore unless I HAVE to treat. ) Baby is mildly sick with a stuffy nose. Baby is 10wks old. I can't remember in the past, but this time, I seem to have no milk for baby. Is it common to have a big drop in supply when mom gets sick? I'm assuming it will come back once I'm better. But, I admit, I'm concerned because of past supply issues. So, I'm wondering what other women experience when they get sick.

Currently, I'm nursing like crazy and taking fengugreek and trying to make sure I stay hydrated. I hoping my husband is going to come home early today so I can go to sleep and get some rest.

I'm not taking meds. I rarely take meds unless I really have to, like an antibiotic for the strep our family commonly gets.

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 12-21-2012 at 01:49 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
MegValentin
Registered Users

Re: If you get sick, does your supply drop?

My supply would always drop when I got sick. Just nurse, sleep, and stay hydrated Hope you both feel better soon.
MegValentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Yes, especially when I'm sick enough that I'm eating and drinking less. I've just nursed as much as possible and pumped a bit while baby was sleeping just to signal to my body to keep working!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
Yes, especially when I'm sick enough that I'm eating and drinking less. I've just nursed as much as possible and pumped a bit while baby was sleeping just to signal to my body to keep working!
Thanks. I'm trying to eat even though I'm not hungry and trying to remember to drink a little more. I definitely have the flu. When I posted this, I had a mild fever, but yesterday afternoon, it spiked up to 101.5 and has stayed there. For an adult (or for me) that's pretty high and miserable. I was surprised it went up that high. Anyway, I'm still pretty sick today, but my supply does seem better than it was yesterday, probably because of the fenugreek. Baby isn't complaining, but I think it might be because he is mildly sick too. He may not be as hungry. At any rate, we are doing fine, but hope to get better quickly.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 12-22-2012 at 02:53 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I hope so too!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My supply always drops when I'm sick
Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

My supply drops when I am sick, I usually drink a ton of water and pump to get it back up. It seems to bother me more than DD.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote