Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #41
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Re: LOW milk supply.

We ran out of formula this morning, so obviously I was limited to nursing. I've been pumping after every session, took some Fenugreek today, and she just won't latch on. I'm also not feeling/seeing a letdown. I'm not leaking when she pulls off. She sucks a few times, and nothing comes out, no letdown, even when I feel a tingling, I see ONE drop come out, IF THAT. Last night, even though night feedings have generally been awesome, I had to give her formula. After she realizes nothing is coming out, I can't get her to latch back on. She'll start screaming so much that I have to blow in her face to get her to stop so I can try to get her to realize my nipple is right there waiting for her. And even then it's not working. We only have 15 bucks left to our name right now, but SO is out getting formula. It's not working! Every time I ran out of whatever I didn't really have, she'd start getting fussy, and I'd have to swaddle her and rock her to trick her to go to sleep because I can't feed her I hate this so much but I really think I can't do this anymore. Not that I don't want to, but I don't think I physically can.

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #42
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

I have PCOS and successfully nurse. I need to pump though. I pumped every hour for 15 minutes in the beginning to up my milk, now I only need to pump if she is on a feeding frenzy. If you qualify for wic see about getting a pump from them, they will give you one usually.

Also, talk to her Pediatrician and call LLL they might be able to help.

This may sound odd but my best friend gave me some of her milk as a back up too...

Last edited by abeccarelli; 12-22-2012 at 08:24 PM.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #43
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeccarelli View Post
I have PCOS and successfully nurse. I need to pump though. I pumped every hour for 15 minutes in the beginning to up my milk, now I only need to pump if she is on a feeding frenzy. If you qualify for wic see about getting a pump from them, they will give you one usually.

Also, talk to her Pediatrician and call LLL they might be able to help.

This may sound odd but my best friend gave me some of her milk as a back up too...
They only give out pumps if you're returning to work or school. I've talked to her pediatrician, my own doctor and a LLL consultant, among others.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #44
breebee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitFarmer

We don't have a scale here at the house. I was going to ask WIC if I could just come by and weigh her to see how much she's gained in the past two weeks. She hasn't been evaluated for those. She has a pretty damn good latch. It's not painful, I can hear her swallowing, etc. I don't think it's a latch issue, but I will bring that up to her pediatrician. Thank you for the link! I have had signs of PCOS, no periods while I'm not pregnant, larger ovarian cysts than normal, etc. I also have thyroid disease, if that's related. I haven't tried a SNS, but I've really been looking in to it. But I'm just worried that, by using it every feeding, it'll be more inconvenient and not worth the trouble.
My DD had a good latch but couldn't stay latched an acted a lot like your DD when she was first born. she lost too much weight and was jaundiced. I noticed a slight tongue tie it was corrected and she is gaining like crazy now. So it is good your checking with your ped for that! Good luck finding your solution!
breebee is offline   Reply With Quote