Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Christian family planning

I feel sad and guilty for admitting this but I am not a "quiver full" type of person. I had gestational diabetes and pelvic symphysis dystocia with my last child and don't feel healthy enough for anymore children. We've talked about it and dh agrees that a V Is best idea and he is ok with that as long as we adopt more.

Today he said he doesn't know if he wants to do a V anymore the permanence scares him :-( so I wouldn't feel right about it either unless we are BOTH 100% sure it's the right choice. So I need some bc advice...

I had mirena for years and it was easy and convent but it caused me so much grief (painful ovarian cysts) and guilt of learning after the fact that it could have possibly prevented implantation of a pregnancy or terminated an early pregnancy without me knowing so that is out.

The pill was great for a while but not while BF as even the mini pill dried up my milk supply (I'm due in July so will be BF for a year minimum, God willing!). Plus I learned that it could possibly inhibit implantation of a possible pregnancy and I don't want that..

NFP + condoms = this pregnancy so that is out.

Anyone have long term success with a bc method that prevents fertilization but won't inhibit implantation should a pregnancy occur? Any tips on how to make those methods work the most effectively?

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I believe but am not sure most if not all hormonal methods and non hormonal IUDs prevent pregnancy in part by preventing implantation, so that's no help. Probably a tubal or V is the best bet that way, but not if everyone's not on board. Good luck finding something!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What about a diaphragm? It prevents fertilization but not implantation.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydove
What about a diaphragm? It prevents fertilization but not implantation.
Thanks this is a great idea. I was actually scheduled to have one and I got fit for one and... Lost in the mail a month before I got prego again haha
Old 01-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
mommato4kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Christian family planning

I was recently looking into VCF as an option. Diaphragm sounds good to.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommato4kids
I was recently looking into VCF as an option. Diaphragm sounds good to.
What's VCF?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Diaphragms and caps have high failure rates. About 20/100 with typical use.

Vcf is spermicidal film. Its meant to be used woth sponges or condoms and has a very high failure rate when used alone. I got pregnant using vcf 8 weeks after my first was born. If you do not want another child then your best bet is a tubal, vasectomy or condoms. There is the essure procedure now as well but I know lots of women are coming out with issues now (lawsuits and stuff)

Can you use nfp? Avoid sex during your fertile time. Taking charge of your fertility is a great book to start with.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
mommato4kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Diaphragms and caps have high failure rates. About 20/100 with typical use.

Vcf is spermicidal film. Its meant to be used woth sponges or condoms and has a very high failure rate when used alone. I got pregnant using vcf 8 weeks after my first was born. If you do not want another child then your best bet is a tubal, vasectomy or condoms. There is the essure procedure now as well but I know lots of women are coming out with issues now (lawsuits and stuff)

Can you use nfp? Avoid sex during your fertile time. Taking charge of your fertility is a great book to start with.
hmm...so vcf isn't that effective when used alone? Did you find that it irritated you at all? Did you use vcf alone or with a sponge/condom?

Do you know which is more effective..diaphragms or vcf?!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommato4kids View Post
hmm...so vcf isn't that effective when used alone? Did you find that it irritated you at all? Did you use vcf alone or with a sponge/condom?

Do you know which is more effective..diaphragms or vcf?!
A diaphragm with spermicide is more effective than VCF alone.

Spermicide irritates me, give me funky issues.

For me a diaphragm was a HUGE pain in the butt. You have to put it in 15 min before sex with spermicide and it needs to stay in for at least 6 hours after sex. Its messy, and gave me UTIs which I had never had issues with before. it just wasn't worth it for me with the higher failure rate.

Condoms are easy, put one on have sex, take it off and way more effective than anything else when used properly (than say a sponge, cap or diaphragm) Sponges have high failure rates too.

If you are OK with an oops baby then these may be right for you. But if you aren't then I would stay clear of them and go the more permanent route.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Some methods of NFP are more effective than others. Since this is a Christian thread, dh and I both feel that Biblically speaking, barrier methods are still onanism. And we really feel that permanent sterilization is like saying, "Thanks for Your awesome natural plan, God, but You made a mistake by leaving this fertility stuff turned on for way too many years...."

We are NOT quiver full by any means, but cooperating with the God-given cycle of fertile and infertile times without external interference is the only family planning method we can reconcile with our consciences and morals.

We've taught couples who felt the same as us but were VERY worried about the effectiveness of NFP. Modern NFP methods that rely on observable signs and not on calendar rhythm are 99% effective. Some women have health issues that can make 'reading the signs' more tricky. But if you use the mucus AND cervix AND temperature signs all together, even most of those issues can be resolved.

The feedback I get from students has been mostly that learning it on one's own is more confusing and difficult than attending a class and getting personal, real-time support. If a couple takes our class, they have 24/7 access to us through email and phone counseling, for life.

Ok, that's my 2 cents. I hope I haven't offended anyone! I love to talk about NFP. If you want to read the book we teach from, you can see it at www.nfpandmore.org.

Last edited by momomom; 01-13-2014 at 02:26 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote