Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anybody else not actually know what a 'normal' cycle is for them?

Before I got pregnant the first time I was on the pill for about 8 years. Before that I don't think I paid much attention to my cycle, wasn't sexually active and it came every 4ish weeks but no idea when I was ovulating etc, was too young to worry about it too much.

Now, I have been breastfeeding for almost 5 years, had 3 children, and I know that BF affects my cycle. After all 3 of my kids I have had at least 6 cycles before things even begin to straighten out, I have gotten pregnant both times before my cycles went back to normal or were regular. I have been breastfeeding the entire time, tandem breastfeeding twice now.

So I really have no idea what is normal for me! I feel embarrassed when I go to the doctor or midwife and they ask about my normal cycle length and I have to say that I really have no idea! I am 34 years old!

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anybody else not actually know what a 'normal' cycle is for them?

I used to know. It was predictably 44 days, which is long. I went on birth control pills for over 10 years, got off, and had a baby. My cycle has been back for a year and it still hasn't settled. It started out at 45 days, but the days have been slowing shrinking down to 34. That's still kinda long, I guess.

I wouldn't be ashamed about not knowing. For some people, cycles change over time. For others, cycles are unpredictable. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't know what might be a normal cycle for them.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I stopped nursing back in May and I haven't had a normal cycle since then. I'm all over the place. Any where from 22 days to 35. It really stinks since dh and I are ntnp. And of course I keep forgetting to write down when I start so I know my 2nd to last period started Oct 11, and I had one already in November and I just started spotting about an hour ago. I was kind of hoping it was implantation bleeding but I haven't had that with any of my 3 pregnancies so I'm just guessing AF is coming. I'm going to start keeping better track now though.

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have normal, predictable cycles. They've come as early as 18 days apart, or as late as 55 days apart.

I never know when I ovulate, either. That's the most frustrating part. I got used to being a week or two late but not knowing when I ovulate just drives me up the frigging wall!! Rarely I get clear ovulation signals, most times I'm not sure one way or another, occasionally I don't get any signs at all.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mine have been anywhere between 30 to 60 days! I am currently on day 50, with a negative test this week so I am assuming that I'm not knocked up, lol. I hate never knowing when to expect it. I hate the look I get when I tell any medical professional about it. They always want to put me on BC pills, and are mad when I won't take them.
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
WildWestMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The only time I've ever been regular was on birth control. When I'm off, my period is all over the place. We had a hard time TTC #2 because of it. When I breastfeed I have no period at all.
WildWestMomma is offline   Reply With Quote