Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If one were going to circumcise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
With pee, the bandage does not get moved, changed, or re-vaselined. With poop, clean the poop around it, carefully remove the bandage, clean with cloth wipe saturated in warm water, and then pat dry. Squeeze vaseline onto middle of gauze square, place over tip of penis, and then the pad will sort of "seal" shut using the vaseline as it squeezes around the tip.

I am not familiar with plastibell.
this just reminds me why I am really hoping this baby is not a boy like the chinese calendar thing predicts.

sounds so complicated. I'm sure it becomes second nature after a few times, but man.... girls are so much easier.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
this just reminds me why I am really hoping this baby is not a boy like the chinese calendar thing predicts.

sounds so complicated. I'm sure it becomes second nature after a few times, but man.... girls are so much easier.
I think boys are so much easier lol. I have four much younger sisters than I. I have 3 sons. I think they are easier to care for and please than any of my sisters were.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

It was a few days of squirting stuff on a piece of gauze...no big deal at all.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

both of my sons had the plastibell and we were very happy with the decision If this one is a boy we will be requesting the same. Good luck with your research and decision making!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
I personally feel it is not a pediatrican's place to do so, though they will if asked. Most OB's are surgeons, and if you are doing so religiously, ask your OB if they know a Mohel who is ALSO a surgeon. This way you are covered both religiously as well as physically safe. JMO.
Pediatricians do the vast majority of them in our area, both in the hospital and in office. Just curious why you think a doctor who specializes in the care of newborns and children wouldn't be the doctor to do it? I can understand using a urologist but that's really not the norm.

OP- We also waited until 8 days or later with our last baby (and our first 3 as well) and brought him to our Ped's office. He has done a lot of them and was very skilled in doing it. He did several local shots and a nerve block and did wait a bit for it to work before starting. Baby didn't show much discomfort during the procedure either and dh was with him the whole time and used sugar drops as well. It healed very well and have had zero issues at all. My daycare baby had his done by our same Ped actually and his is very similar! Go figure! Our last 2 were done at the hospital by a Ped before we left on the 2nd day. No issues with theirs either but DS5 did have some minor adhesions they attributed to having excess fat in his pelvis. His little penis would completely disappear like a belly button! LOL We saw a urologist for that and a mild hernia in his testicles and he said his circ was fine and not a problem.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Pediatricians do the vast majority of them in our area, both in the hospital and in office. Just curious why you think a doctor who specializes in the care of newborns and children wouldn't be the doctor to do it? I can understand using a urologist but that's really not the norm.

OP- We also waited until 8 days or later with our last baby (and our first 3 as well) and brought him to our Ped's office. He has done a lot of them and was very skilled in doing it. He did several local shots and a nerve block and did wait a bit for it to work before starting. Baby didn't show much discomfort during the procedure either and dh was with him the whole time and used sugar drops as well. It healed very well and have had zero issues at all. My daycare baby had his done by our same Ped actually and his is very similar! Go figure! Our last 2 were done at the hospital by a Ped before we left on the 2nd day. No issues with theirs either but DS5 did have some minor adhesions they attributed to having excess fat in his pelvis. His little penis would completely disappear like a belly button! LOL We saw a urologist for that and a mild hernia in his testicles and he said his circ was fine and not a problem.
It's a delicate procedure, and the penis is important, and I think a surgeon is the best candidate for anything involving cutting.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
No plastibell, yes anesthetic and use a pediatric urologist.
agreed. i would request a very loose circ. x has a tight circ and maintaining an erection is extremely uncomfortable for him.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post

I am not familiar with plastibell.
they slice the foreskin and pull it back then they put a plastibell on the exposed glans and pull back up the foreskin. A ligature is tied in the ridge of the bell, as tightly as possible around the foreskin. the foreskin is sliced off at the distal edge of the ligature using a knife or scissors. The surgeon trims as much tissue as possible to reduce the amount of necrotic tissue and the possibility of infection. The handle of the bell is snapped off at this time. The rim of tissue will become necrotic (dead) and separate with the bell in 5 to 10 days.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
they slice the foreskin and pull it back then they put a plastibell on the exposed glans and pull back up the foreskin. A ligature is tied in the ridge of the bell, as tightly as possible around the foreskin. the foreskin is sliced off at the distal edge of the ligature using a knife or scissors. The surgeon trims as much tissue as possible to reduce the amount of necrotic tissue and the possibility of infection. The handle of the bell is snapped off at this time. The rim of tissue will become necrotic (dead) and separate with the bell in 5 to 10 days.
Ahh, I meant, I am not personally familiar with plastibell, and how to care for it
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Plastibell with my first say 2 in the hospital

Traditional circ some sort of clamp method with my second at 8-9 days in our Ped office.

We are on boy three and will attempt to have it done in the hospital by our urologist before we go home.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote