Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
yoga mamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Where do I start?!

I wouldn't describe hubby or I as hoarders, but we have more than enough 'stuff' between the two of us!

We have three Little Ones and live in a 1800 square foot house; it doesn't look like we'll be moving to a bigger place anytime soon, so we would both like to make the space that we have more functional and livable for us all.

But where do we start?!

I feel like we've pared down quite a bit, but we still just seem to have so much stuff.

Do we start by organizing, and going through stuff? Do we just plow through rooms, and get stuff out?

I think the task is just so huge, I'm having a hard time getting started.

Oh - and we have A LOT of books ... some can go, but some I know we'll be wanting to keep. Any good ideas on long term storage? We have 12 bookcases in our little house, all which are double deep, and lots and lots more boxes of books as well. (Books is probably our biggest issue )

TIA! Can't wait to hear your recommendations!

Advertisement

RADIANT BIRTH for Birth Stories, Birth Circles and Newborn News!
yoga mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I've found clothes, storage and kitchen to be good places to start. As far as the rest of the house I feel totally overwhelmed though.
Personally we keep any books that I know we won't miss. We love books too

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

Re: Where do I start?!

I like to start with visibly messy areas. That way you get a lot of instant gratification visually and it makes you want to stick with it. From there I like to move on to cupboards, closets and other storage areas. Doing the 10 thing a day challenge has really helped me, because you can just find things from anywhere around your house and you've met your goal every day as long as you find 10 things and after a couple of weeks that 10 things a day really adds up.
crnchy_mama_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

clothes are a great place to start. not only does it cut down on clutter, but also cuts down on laundry!

I also find it helps to do a "no spend" length of time while you are de-cluttering, so you don't add to the chaos.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Booghierbaby
Registered Users
Do Not Buy from this seller~ pm an Admin if your in a transaction~ file wih paypal**

I have recently been motivated to declutter my house..we tried to move and I packed everything non-essential and we put stuff in storage for a few months. It was nice.
Then I needed a frying pan and winter boots..so we went back to storage. Then I decided I would take all 8 boxes of children's toys and go thru them. One keep.. one give away... thats how i started. One box at a time. It was easier to let things go because we had not had them in so long...I find that I am more attached to the stuff than the kids and are... then it's easy clear it all away.
Love FFS here too...it's nice to make people's day with a free thing or two they might have been wanting,
Booghierbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

My mantra is: "You can't organize clutter"

Take baby steps. Starting with flylady.net is the perfect way to do it. She has excellent decluttering tips. I do not practice flylady to the letter, I take the lessons I like and leave the rest. You do not have to sign up or receive the email, just go to the website and learn.

Good luck from a minimalist wannabe!