Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Overhauling again....pic of my schoolroom

This is my first year homeschooling my 2 oldest boys (8 & 6) roughly 1st and 2and grade. I ordered a TON of materials this summer. I set up a "schoolroom" in our upstairs living room. I do feel very blessed to have a large seperate room to have school. It has an amazing atmosphere. I pictured reading books by the fireplace as we watch the snow fall from all the windows. (see pic) We started the year doing "school" up there and we were usually done by 11am. The first weeks were spent getting to know how much my kiddos knew. Even though I volunteered in the classroom a ton!!! Seriously the kids thought I was a teacher. I didn't know how they would fit into the curriculum. The kids were welled behaved and we got the work done. So why did I change things?

I guess it all started when I really thought about schooling vs. educating. What were my goals for my children? I wanted to educate them. Webster's 1828 Dictionary defines education as this:

EDUCA'TION, n. [L. educatio.] The bringing up, as of a child, instruction; formation of manners. Education comprehends all that series of instruction and discipline which is intended to enlighten the understanding, correct the temper, and form the manners and habits of youth, and fit them for usefulness in their future stations. To give children a good education in manners, arts and science, is important; to give them a religious education is indispensable; and an immense responsibility rests on parents and guardians who neglect these duties.

As a result I threw out most curriculum except math. We started lugging 60lbs. of books home 2 times a week from the library. We were reading 2-3 hours a day. Books on George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Native Americans, weapons used in war (I have boys), the telegraph, snow, clouds, pyramids, mummies, how chickens hatch, elements of the periodic table, the Declaration of Independence, fractions, cooking, drawing. Just to name a few. We were loving it. We also read through multiple books of the Bible and heaps of story books. The entire Bill Peet books for pure pleasure.

The boys were also doing things with me. Helping an elderly neighbor rake their yard, laundry, cleaning, taking long walks through our woods, learning how to use a recipe and make something. They played for hours and hours. They even dug a foxhole in our yard!

So what was the problem? We abadonded the upstars and created an unstructured mess of a house! We were doing "school" all day and the house was a mess. We had no sense of schedule or a regular cleaning routine. The boys were hard to motivate to do math, writing, etc. I was beginning to think it was too hard. I was envisioning sending them back to school so I could have a clean, orderly house again.

This week I hit a tipping point. I didn't want to give up on our new form of educating because it is working but I couldn't stand the lack of order in our lives. So we moved back to the schoolroom today. The boys were naturally more focused again without the distraction of the kitchen! Seriously they were wanting to eat ALL day. We still did math, writing, and read for 2 hours but we were done by noon. The boys then played and ate lunch. We cleaned and worked on dinner. My house is clean enough and dinner is in the crock. We are all more peaceful. It is the best of the beginning of the year and now. Now I wish I could solve more problems that easily like will the baby please take his naps.

I just wanted to share with you mamas. The picture of my schoolroom. (it is not that clean when we are in it. You should see what I shoved to the corner) and a picture of what the baby looked like during math.

Advertisement

Last edited by luvof3boyz; 04-04-2013 at 02:30 PM.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Overhauling again....pic of my schoolroom

Wow, it doesn't look like a school room at all! I want to vacation there lol!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Overhauling again....pic of my schoolroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
You are very sweet. Yes I am lucky to have this room.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese
Yeah, this! Looks like a really comfy place to do school!

And schooling with a baby - wow, that is awesome. I started that when my DS was 5 months. Talk about pure misery. Although - the kid I was schooling wasn't mine, so I'm sure that contributed. Still! You are awesome!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote