Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

I had not been permitted to eat while laboring, despite claims otherwise prior to the birth. So by the time pushing came, I had not eaten in over eighteen hours, and only allowed ice chips, I was not permitted to DRINK water for over twelve hours. So when the nurse threatened me, I just sobbed and waddled to the bad after the next contraction. I was very defeated during that birth.
Omg! So glad I was at a birth center. I can eat a freakin burger if I wish. Which we all knows is not likely. With contrax every two minutes I was dying! But I could eat small bites of protein bars or fruit. I have some OJ for after and lemonade if needed, during. Gosh hospitals are absurd. How can a mother birth naturally without calories. We are burning them physically trying to manage the pain and by moving! When I ran 13.1 miles I filed myself along the way. And that was easier than labor. Lol

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Info on water births, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Omg! So glad I was at a birth center. I can eat a freakin burger if I wish. Which we all knows is not likely. With contrax every two minutes I was dying! But I could eat small bites of protein bars or fruit. I have some OJ for after and lemonade if needed, during. Gosh hospitals are absurd. How can a mother birth naturally without calories. We are burning them physically trying to manage the pain and by moving! When I ran 13.1 miles I filed myself along the way. And that was easier than labor. Lol
I think I had an unusually bad hospital experience, honestly. I don't think most hospitals are that bad. But I am simply not willing to find out, barring any horrible emergency. Anyway, sorry to hijack, op! Research, research, research! Knowledge is power!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

I think I had an unusually bad hospital experience, honestly. I don't think most hospitals are that bad. But I am simply not willing to find out, barring any horrible emergency. Anyway, sorry to hijack, op! Research, research, research! Knowledge is power!
Mine was horrid too. I think
It's also the type of person you are. I want a warm fuzzy feeling when I went a child into
The world. NO hospital could ever give me that.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Anyway, sorry to hijack, op! Research, research, research! Knowledge is power!
No problem! And I agree on the research! Knowledge truly is power!

It sounds like you did have a horrible hospital experience! I was not allowed to eat or drink anything other than ice chips at the hospital with DD. Sadly, I think that's common for most hospitals. After a few hours I got mad enough and was so hungry DH smuggled me in a small sandwich and water. I think it's cruel to expect a woman to labor for hours with nothing to eat or drink. It is absolutely absurd! I hope this "no food or drink" policy is no longer in affect and I'll be asking the midwife about it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm debating between a hospital that has birthing pools in every room and one that has one pool, that's generally available, but a bathtub if it's not.

do you think a bathtub would be even comparable?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I'm debating between a hospital that has birthing pools in every room and one that has one pool, that's generally available, but a bathtub if it's not.

do you think a bathtub would be even comparable?
I will only ever want a bathtub. I'm not in there to just soak? I need sturdy sides to flip flop and brace myself. I think people use support people for that in the other tubs? Idk. I also like a curved bottom. Not a flat one (like a floor)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I had the option to do a water birth at the hospital.
The only problem I came across was actually being allowed into the tub. I kept asking and asking and they kept putting me off because my midwife hadn't arrived yet.
Once she arrived I could have gotten in the tub at any time, but I didn't actually want to birth in the tub and I was so far along I didn't end up getting in.
I was also allowed/encourages to eat, drink, move freely, squat, and push as I pleased. I didn't have an IV or anything either. Just ask other moms their experiences in your particular hospitals. If its the kind of place that puts you on its plan steer clear.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
This is a silly question. But if I'm at a hospital (and I will be) I don't want to be naked in a tub.

But a gown in water sounds irritating. Does everyone just go naked? Maybe a sports bra and some shorts?

What would be acceptable and comfortable.

I won't be comfortable naked and I think a wet gown would twist and irritate me.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have never heard of anyone laboring with bottoms on. In the water there really is no need.. You can't see. I labor with a bikini top. No bottoms. Heck my baby came so fast, the bottoms woulda really really messed me up. Lol
Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thanks for the good answers.

I'm really weird about my butt
I wear shorts in a pool
And I used to have to get regular spine X-rays and they always let me wear shorts under my gown.

But they told me if I didn't get the birthing tub and was using the bathtub in my room, I'd have to get out at crowning.

But good to know that it'd be normal to atleast wear a top. Will remember to pack that stuff