Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Refusing cervical checks

Membrane sweeps only work if your body is ready to go into labor anyway. At least, that's what we were taught in midwifery school.

As far as refusing cervical checks, I would definitely get a check on admission and then any time you're about to have a major intervention done (like getting an epidural or starting pitocin, etc.) Then I would absolutely have one prior to pushing to make sure that you're not pushing against an cervix that is not yet complete.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
Membranes were today. Hoping it doesnt affect me but I wish they had at least asked first. It's meant to kickstart labor within 48 hours if successful so I guess all I can do is wait and see.
I can't believe they didn't ask. I would never dream of sweeping a woman's membranes without talking to her about it first. It's such a violation otherwise- at least IMO. Membrane sweeps can really hurt. What were they thinking?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
Membranes were today. Hoping it doesnt affect me but I wish they had at least asked first. It's meant to kickstart labor within 48 hours if successful so I guess all I can do is wait and see.
Do these OBs not hear the March of Dimes commercials at the grocery store? 39 weeks. There is no reason to be stripping **anybodies membranes before 40 weeks. How did your body react? When my membranes were stripped it was very uncomfortable and there was no mistaking it for a normal cervical check.

ETA: **anybody with no big medical need to get the baby out faster

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 11-29-2012 at 08:49 PM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I refused them with my first at an OB group and was told candidly by one of the docs that if I wanted to guarantee not getting my membranes swept, that I needed to keep my pants on. That's just what they do.
Eta. I've never had a check in labor. I would not consent to a check unless there was a problem. I have pushed out two babies just fine without anyone telling me if I was ready out how to do it, and with no damage to myself.

Last edited by songbird516; 11-29-2012 at 09:10 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
I refused them with my first at an OB group and was told candidly by one of the docs that if I wanted to guarantee not getting my membranes swept, that I needed to keep my pants on. That's just what they do.
OH MY GAWD!!!!!

That is so horrible!!

I can't believe they would just do that to a woman without informed consent! You can accidentally rupture the waters, introduce infection, and it hurts!!!
Grrr!!

On a very related note - I chose my cpm for my homebirth (baby born April 2012) based on the fact that I told her I didn't want vaginal exams and she said she was fine with that. I went through my entire pregnancy, labor and delivery without ONE SINGLE vaginal exam.

I can't imagine that'd fly with a cnm or OB.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

hugs, mama.

your thread is reminding me I need to leave my ob practice.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #17
ingrid5699
Registered Users

Just refuse. It doesn't tell you anything anyway. I was 3cm dilated at 37weeks with DD and my OB was so sure I'd go early again like with DS (who came at 38+0). Nope-went 5 days over with her.
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12'06 and Aurelia 12'08, Mommy to 6 angel babies-triplets 11'04, baby B 5'06 and our last little angel 2'12, chemical pregnancy 6'12, hoping our rainbow baby will join us in May 2013
ingrid5699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #18
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm feeling normal today. Actually had less BH than usual but I was an emotional wreck yesterday over my appointment.

When I calmed down, I called the office to ask if indeed a membrane sweep was done (they confirmed it) and I asked why. Apparently it's "routine" from 38 weeks onward! They insist it ensures a "less invasive" delivery because it lowers the need for pitocin, etc. I told them I was planning a natural birth without drugs and they said "membrane sweeping is considered natural". Why? Because it's not a drug? I couldn't believe it. I've reviewed my birth plan with my midwife and it specifically states on there that I do not want any sweeps done until AFTER 40 weeks, but only after natural methods like walking, having sex, etc. are done first.

I was too upset to argue with the staff, who wasn't the OB anyways. I was measuring fine, my weight is fine, my tests have all been fine, and I'm not high risk for anything at all. I never once said I was eager to have this pregnancy over with, even though I mentioned back aches and hip pain.

gingerpeachee, the sweep was incredibly uncomfortable for me. It wasn't agonizing like some women state, but I've had gynecological visits in the past where they have a hard time finding my left ovary so they've had to kind of dig around in there for a bit. This was similar to that, but lasted a bit longer. I got home and there was more plug with brown blood, but I didn't cramp or experience anything else.

My sister is actually expecting as well, up in Boston. She called her OB practice last night to inquire about membrane sweeping and they told her that it's considered "routine" there as well!
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #19
ds1997
Registered Users
Formerly: lilac0422
seller
seller

That is such utter bulls*it. NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO DO THAT WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT. I hate to scream but I am seriously pissed off for you. I honestly do not know what some doctors are thinking. You should not have to protect yourself from invasive, unwarranted crap.

Honestly, cervical checks are such utter useless nonsense in most cases. I NEVER have one until I am in active labor. I absolutely refuse to allow anyone to sweep my membranes or accidentally break my water. My baby will come when she is d*mn good and ready. I feel so bad for people that are treated so horribly by someone they should be able to trust. Some doctors SUCK!
ds1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #20
ds1997
Registered Users
Formerly: lilac0422
seller
seller

Have no idea how it submitted twice.

Last edited by ds1997; 11-30-2012 at 11:27 AM.
ds1997 is offline   Reply With Quote