Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I am so sorry they did the sweep without even informing you, much less asking permission. Pregnancy is not an excuse to violate another person's body.

I refused all checks with my daughter (the only baby I saw an OB with). I just firmly said no and then joked with him that I would think about allowing him to check come 41 weeks. She was born at exactly 38, so I got lucky there that I didn't have to fight it long.

I would just straight up refuse to take my pants off at all for future visits. You are well within your rights to do so.

Advertisement

L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #22
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So sorry that happened to u!!! I'd refuse ALL further checks! Reminds me of when my midwife "stretched" my cervix at 39 weeks without consent/warning/any notice at all. I went from calm to begging her to stop with tears in my eyes in a split second! It terrified DH about impending labor! Good reminder that I need to revise my birth plan!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #23
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Refusing cervical checks

I would refuse all other cervical exams. It won't tell you when you'll go into labor anyways and is a pretty outdated practice.

I would also remind them, if you feel comfortable, that it's not ok to do a sweep or anything else on someone without getting permission either. That's actually a violation of someone's body and consent.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #24
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would refuse all other cervical exams. It won't tell you when you'll go into labor anyways and is a pretty outdated practice.

I would also remind them, if you feel comfortable, that it's not ok to do a sweep or anything else on someone without getting permission either. That's actually a violation of someone's body and consent.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #25
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is so strange to hear about civilian OB care. You would have to request (rather beg) to be checked before active labor here. I've never had it done until I was checked in the hospital and then I was asked if I wanted it done.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #26
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post

I'm keeping my pants on. I didn't realize that they considered it routine at this office and I read all the paperwork they gave me. It was more about their policy and privacy practice than anything. I actually was ok with a check at 38 weeks (this was my first check), but was hesitant for anything after because of what happened with my son 5 years ago. My plan was to allow one check and then refuse all the ones offered after. Never did I imagine she'd do a sweep without my consent!

I would have told her off yesterday had I not been so upset about it. I am also going to review my birth plan with the OB if I get her again. It's in my file but apparently they don't look at it.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #27
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

I like knowing because well I don't know really. It was exciting I guess. I did walk around at a 4 for a little over a week though. I went to preregister at the hospital after my appt one day and they asked how dialated I was and I told them a 4. They said if I wanted to have a baby then they could start me...I declined. A 4 is what they want you at to stay at that hospital I guess. This time I'm having the baby at a birthing center so I'm not sure if they will do checks or not. I'm guessing probably not. We will see.
newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #28
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

wow that sucks. I wish I could say I am surprised.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would refuse and plan to...

but not really because of what happened to you. My waters broke to start my labor and I still had a really good experience. The nurses and doctors allowed me to walk, shower - do whatever I wanted.

I can't imagine that your waters weren't about to break anyways - cervical check or not. Women get multiple membrane sweeps and don't get their waters to break - so I would believe your waters were going to break anyways.

I do refuse cervical checks, but I don't think that's what caused your bad experience.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #30
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper_girl_76 View Post
I would refuse...it isn't really all that indicative of much anyhow. I have heard of mamas being dilated for weeks or not being dilated at all and birthing that night.

I didn't dilate at all until I was well into labor.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote