Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #31
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Refusing cervical checks

I'm sorry that invaded you like that. That's not right. I had one done when I was overdue and the OB asked first if I wanted it. I did go into labour that night but it was very long and I didn't make progress and wound up needing pitocin. I'm thinking I'll not do cervical checks this time around, I have a midwife so it should be easier to do things differently.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry they did that to you without consent. Terrible
I would decline any further exams/checks until you are in labor.

I did everything "by the books", for the most part, with my first baby - including cervical checks. It didn't bother me, but then again I had a great OB.
I refused all cervical checks with my second until we were considering induction at 39 weeks - then I wanted one done to factor my Bishops' Score.
I refused them with my 3rd - never had one at all with him.
With my 4th I agreed to one at 41 weeks, including membrane sweep, because, well I was 41 weeks and going for a VBAC.
My 5th was under very different circumstances.
This time I will, again, refuse them probably until labor, unless something unforeseen comes up and warrants one.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #33
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
I refused them with my first at an OB group and was told candidly by one of the docs that if I wanted to guarantee not getting my membranes swept, that I needed to keep my pants on. That's just what they do.
Eta. I've never had a check in labor. I would not consent to a check unless there was a problem. I have pushed out two babies just fine without anyone telling me if I was ready out how to do it, and with no damage to myself.
Wow!! That is awful! I requested that my OB sweep mine when I was 2 days shy of 40 weeks and she said no. She said that it isn't a reliable method for making a woman go into labor (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't) and that it is really painful. I agreed and went on my own a few days later.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #34
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I refused all checks with both babies. I did get checked with DD2 near the end, but it was because I had bloody show that was like the start of my period and I was a bit freaked out... But no sweeps.
Sorry they did anything and I would just keep your pants on and refuse any further checks. There is no reason for them, they don't help in any way, and only increase risk of infection

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #35
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
So why exactly do they do cervical checks so early in pregnancy??
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #36
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM&W
I am curious about yhis
Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I am curious about this, too. With DS I was checked at 34 weeks because I was having contractions and they wanted to make sure they weren't dilating. Then, at 40 weeks I asked about getting checked and my OB talked me out of it. I wasnt checked again until I had to be induced. But then my best friend has been checked every week starting at 36 weeks by her OB's recommendation.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #38
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
It depends on which early ones you're referring to. Some care providers will want to do a pelvic exam during your first few visits to assess the size and shape of your pelvis. My first doc did this and didn't even explain what she was doing. I only found out she was taking notes about that when I saw my medical records years later.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a CNM with my first, she offered cervical checks starting at 36(?) weeks if patients wanted them, but they were optional. I had a family practice doc with my second, and no cervical checks until labor. This time around I have a midwife, and I don't intend to get cervical checks until labor this time, either. Maybe not even then.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #40
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm so sorry they did a sweep without asking. With my last pregnancy an OB did that to me as well! It hurt more than a normal cervix check and I only realized later (after posting on DS actually) what had happened. What a jerk that Dr. was!
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote