Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paying for college

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
I'm another that won't pay for my kids' college. We will help out with insurance, a place to live (as long as they are going full time to the community college and paying a tiny amount of rent that I'd probably give back to them as a lump some at the end of school or in lieu of rent, helping on the farm), free meals, and books if we are able, etc. My parents did that for me and I was able to get most of my college paid for via financial scholarships and aid (it pays to have a lot of siblings and a teacher for a Dad!). I worked around 36 hours a week as a nanny throughout college and got very good grades, so I would hope they can do the same.

ETA: I think only one of my friends had college paid for and the rest paid for it themselves.
I'm thinking the bolded is a regional thing. Here it is the opposite. Almost every one of my classmates was headed to college on their parent's money and most people I know had their undergrad paid for by their parents.

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #22
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

The way student loans here work, it's not likely our kids will qualify. We only have 2 kids and they won't be doing undergraduate degrees at the same time. The federal govt policy on funding is that families are expected to make plans for their children's education and we will have to declare assets and income.

I expect university so if I want them to go I need to find a way to pay. Fortunately we don't have those crazy expensive private colleges.

But at the end of the day, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Prepare your kids in advance and it will all work out. I would think one advantage of homeschooling is that it will make them much for flexible for part time jobs when they are teenagers.

I love the idea from a previous poster whose parents made her take a Dave Ramsey course!! FABULOUS. I am so doing that!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #23
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
My husband works for an awesome private university so our kids can attend there for free. If they choose to go elsewhere, they're paying for it!
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #24
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
The way student loans here work, it's not likely our kids will qualify. We only have 2 kids and they won't be doing undergraduate degrees at the same time. The federal govt policy on funding is that families are expected to make plans for their children's education and we will have to declare assets and income.
Fellow Canadian here - I wouldn't have qualified for federal student loans either. I got a student line of credit (from TD bank, but I'm pretty sure they all have them) that gave me $8000/year if I needed it. It was way more flexible than student loans (I could work during the school year if I wanted to - and I did) and could be drawn out as needed, instead of all in one sum. I made it until the end of my third year on the original $8000, and then got it upped to $16,000 for my last year. The interest rate is fantastic.

Anyways, there are options that don't involve federal student loans.

Last edited by Ally's Fuzzies; 12-01-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Ally's Fuzzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
mommaof3luv
Registered Users
seller

We live in Florida and they have something called dual enrollment in the state and community colleges that is free to homeschool students. If you student is ready to start in 11th grade they can take college courses full time and the state pays. It works out great because many homeschool students around here have their associates degree by the time they are graduated from high school for free. I know there are a few other states that do this too.
mommaof3luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #26
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3luv View Post
We live in Florida and they have something called dual enrollment in the state and community colleges that is free to homeschool students. If you student is ready to start in 11th grade they can take college courses full time and the state pays. It works out great because many homeschool students around here have their associates degree by the time they are graduated from high school for free. I know there are a few other states that do this too.
That is awesome! Here, I know you can take classes at the community college in high school, but as far as I know you do have to pay for them. Still, they can come out with an associates which is really nice too. Of course, it would be more awesome if they paid for it.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
We have something similar. The class just has to be one that the local high school doesn't offer. It's available to all students, in school or homeschooled.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I paid for all of my college. I worked full time and had some scholarships. My employer gave me Money for graduate school. I had a lot of friends that took out the max for loans and didn't even consider community college for their first year or two. The money wasn't real to them. And now they have tons and tons of debt.

I'm hoping to have maybe 10k for each of them but I'm more likely to use that as a down payment on a house. We'll see. Right now my oldest wants to be a plumber, dsd wants to be a dentist, and my youngest is disabled so I might only have 1 kiddo to worry about.

I am more worried about having enough saved up for retirement so I don't have to move in with my kids when I retire
Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
They have something similiar here too! It's called something else though... can't think of it though!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #30
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

We will help them with college or any adult experiences by teaching them good financial management, frugal skills, how to save, etc. They'll be able to save money by living at home, I'm sure, depending on the situation then. We will not push for college but we will support our kids no matter what they decide as long as it is a productive choice.

If we were millionaires, we'd probably still make the same choice, except we would loan them the money so they didn't have to borrow from the sharks at Sallie Mae, etc.

So no, don't feel bad. Not everyone pays for their kids' college.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote