Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Flu shot?

Canadianbakers- do you mind providing where you've seen the contraindications? I've done a lot of research and Mayo clinic, the CDC etc. All recommend it. I am not trying to stsrt a debate on this thread but I am curious about where you've found that at?

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

OP to answer your question. I've seen a lot of people hospitalized for the flu. During H1N1 season I saw several healthy young people end up intubated. I've never worked in L&D so I don't have pregnant women stories. But if it can happen to a healthy 20-30 year old it could definitely happen to a pregnant woman IMO.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:

I hope you don't mind me posting. I have not personally been hospitalized from a flu shot. I did, however, meet a very sweet lady last year that works at a nearby college campus in her early 50's that said she got a flu shot about 8 years ago, and the flu shot paralyzed her. She is still paralyzed to this day and must walk with a walker. She was much worse for the first 5 years after it happened. She said up until that point, she and her dh jogged, golfed, went scuba-diving, tennis, etc.--very active. She was also a very talented painter--that was ruined also.
I was scared of them before, but I just don't think I'll ever forget her. We read stories and such, but meeting someone in person and watching them have to use a walker---there are just no words.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think a big concern with getting the flu for anyone is not only the flu itself, but it could develop into pneumonia.

Here is an article I found. Of course, it is recommending the vaccine, but I am really passing it along because there are a ton of commenters giving their own experiences.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-...egnant_2488.bc

Last edited by Steph Ed; 11-30-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Jenn135
Registered Users
seller

I didn't have the flu but I did have a mild case of pneumonia, which I think is the main issue if you get the flu. I was not hospitalized. I was in the first trimester. Had X-rays and antibiotics and baby (now 7 months) is fine. I'm sure everyone's story is different. I think ultimately you just have to make a decision and be okay with what happens (no regret, no blame). I just got both kids the preservative free flu shot this year. They had no reaction, no soreness. I will debate again deciding next year. It's a tough decision but best to not stress over.
Jenn135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Canadianbakers- do you mind providing where you've seen the contraindications? I've done a lot of research and Mayo clinic, the CDC etc. All recommend it. I am not trying to stsrt a debate on this thread but I am curious about where you've found that at?
It's in the package insert. BUT, it is the same contraindication that is on almost every drug with regards to pregnant or breastfeeding women (even OTC meds that doctors tell you are ok to take during pregnancy have the warning). Those contraindications are practically meaningless, except as a CYA for the companies who make them.

For example my friend declined the flu vax while pregnant, so her doc gave her a supply of tamiflu, just in case. Tamiflu has the same contraindication on its insert as the flu vax.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2j View Post
Good ? Ive been meaning to ask my midwife if the shot is recommended/contraindicated while preg. Ive never had the flu once in my entire life (knock on wood) and only had the flu shot maybe twice, so Im not sure if its even worth it :-)
According to the article I mentioned in a PP, the American College of Nurse-Midwives do reccomend getting vaccinated while pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
If you contracted the flu while pregnant, baby would be born with those antibodies and continue to get more antibodies if you breastfed. And this would cover baby for whatever strain of flu you contracted, not just the 3 strains the shot covers.

If you contracted the flu, wouldn't that only be just 1 strain of antibodies vs. 3 that are in the vaccine?

If you read all the papers/info sheets in the package, it's actually contraindicated during pregnancy.
If you ask (most, very near all) care providers, they will tell you the benefits outweigh the risks, because that is what they have decided themselves
I think they have decided this because of supporting evidence, not because they've decided this themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post

Unless you are referring to the normal risk disclosures, IDK?
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think a lot of people think they've gotten the flu when they haven't REALLY gotten the flu. The flu is bad. What people generally call the flu? that's like a really bad cold or infection.

not saying anyone in this thread hasn't actually gotten the flu. but in general, when I read about the real flu - I'm not sure I've ever had it. I have been sick with things we thought were the flu and called the flu, but nothing was quite like the real flu descriptions.

as for me, I have not been hospitalized with the flu. When pregnant with DD, the H1N1 was going on and I got the flu shot. Wasn't planning on getting the flu shot this year, but the doctors talked me into it. I had no negative repurcussions from the flu shot unless you call a sore arm an issue.

I don't normally get the flu shot and I don't get the flu.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am a big advocate for vaccines in general. I am married to a research scientist so trust me, we get ALL vaccines and on time (if not on the early side) for our children.

However I REFUSE to get anything while I am pregnant. The year that the H1N1 was going around, I was able to get DS the vaccine in November through our health department. I asked them at that point if I could also have it as I was planning on getting pregnant in January. She said initially that that is when they would be giving it to the general population, but I pressed her and she agreed that the first trimester was no time to get a flu shot. So she gave it to me at the same time as my son. Turns out it was VITAL to me as I got diagnosed with lymphoma a month later and wouldn't have been able to get it while going through Chemo.

My point with this is I don't get vaccines while pregnant.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I think a lot of people think they've gotten the flu when they haven't REALLY gotten the flu. The flu is bad. What people generally call the flu? that's like a really bad cold or infection.

not saying anyone in this thread hasn't actually gotten the flu. but in general, when I read about the real flu - I'm not sure I've ever had it. I have been sick with things we thought were the flu and called the flu, but nothing was quite like the real flu descriptions.

as for me, I have not been hospitalized with the flu. When pregnant with DD, the H1N1 was going on and I got the flu shot. Wasn't planning on getting the flu shot this year, but the doctors talked me into it. I had no negative repurcussions from the flu shot unless you call a sore arm an issue.

I don't normally get the flu shot and I don't get the flu.
I agree. I've had it once and I actually felt like I was dying, I've never experienced anything like it. If you have the sniffles and feel under the weather but arent curled up in the fetal position for several days you do not have the flu. It took me 4-5 days to get over the worst of it and then I had several more weeks of feeling weak and awful. I can very easily see someone hospitalized from complications, I was a healthy 21 year old with good lung capacity and it knocked me flat on my butt.

I get a flu shot every year, I am not willing to go through that ever again.