Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #31
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flu shot?

This study talks about the inflammatory response that is common in pregnant women getting the flu vaccine. Inflammatory responses are particularly worrying in pregnancy since they are implicated in preeclampsia and preterm labor.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21945263

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #32
txmommytobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
I actually got mine last week my doctor highly recommended it and helped me weigh out the risks.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #33
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
This study talks about the inflammatory response that is common in pregnant women getting the flu vaccine. Inflammatory responses are particularly worrying in pregnancy since they are implicated in preeclampsia and preterm labor.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21945263
I read the abstract and think if anything, this article supports pregnant women getting the flu shot. As they say, it was a very mild inflammatory response and much less than you would get from a normal virus. Sounds to me like the vaccine working to get your system to produce the proper antibodies.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #34
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't EVER get the flu shot and my doctor didn't even *recommend* that I should get it. My pharmacy manager however bugged me to death about it, so I read the insert on the flu vax which says that it is counter indicated to give to pregnant women. So, I told him since the manufacturer doesn't recommend I get it and my doctor doesn't either, he should leave me alone about it. Haven't been harassed since!

I did have the flu a couple of years ago. I was sooooo sick... couldn't get out of bed much less lift my head off of my pillow sick. I was down for a good 3 or 4 days and weak for another couple of weeks. Personally, I would rather take my chance on getting the flu than injecting my body with a toxic, foreign substance and still get the flu.

And FWIW, one of my pregnant friends just posted that despite getting the flu shot, she now has the flu.

And I agree with others... I think ultimately it comes down to a personal decision. Not one that is *forced* on you, but one in which you research and come to terms with what you want.

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #35
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7

I read the abstract and think if anything, this article supports pregnant women getting the flu shot. As they say, it was a very mild inflammatory response and much less than you would get from a normal virus. Sounds to me like the vaccine working to get your system to produce the proper antibodies.
I, too, am not convinced by this study. Or am at least more confused. Especially since preeclampsia.org states that having pre-e makes you more likely to get the flu. They recommend that you get vaccinated. So there is a correlation in the study, but no causation? Which causes which? I suck at reading and understanding all this medical stuff which is why I generally follow my care provider's advice.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

As someone currently laid up in bed, I so wish I had gotten the flu shot! I'm not sure that's what we have since the flu doesn't usually include vomiting, maybe we have a dual infection? Babe was puking like crazy and we had to get zofran from the ER to stop it (he's 10 months). That was Thursday night, then he seemed better Friday, but today we were both sick as dogs again. He was sleeping/moaning/crying all day, I was sleeping/moaning/puking. He wanted nothing to do with anyone but me, so our bedroom must have sounded very pathetic all day. Anyway, if his body aches were anything like mine then it makes me want to cry for him. It feels like I was hit by a truck, and that doesn't seem common with a gastro-virus alone.

So I'm currently lying in bed *wishing* I had requested the flu shot, if only for peace of mind that it isn't what we have and that we won't be getting it after this illness passes.

Oh, I should add that in my previous career I was a biologist working in R&D for viral diagnostics. So I guess I'm pretty biased toward lab/medical science. Yes, please inject me with a foreign substance!

Last edited by Palooka; 12-01-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote