Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: need a chill pill need a chill pill need a chill pill need a chill pill need a ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
Okay, I have been in that situation except it was a Williams Sonoma food processor. Tears and everything. This is what I did.

I went online and figured out approximately what they spent on the items, then picked out stuff I could actually use (my first set of nice frying pans, but I was very picky about the pieces--only a few and only what I would truly use, not a whole set). Then I called Williams Sonoma, explained that I would like an exchange, and arranged for a pickup with an order for my new stuff in the box. Then after it arrived, I called her and thanked her up and down for the pans. She was confused, she had sent me a food processor. Oh well, they must have made a mistake! And I LOVE my new frying pans, so don't worry about calling the store to fix it, Mom.

A bit deceitful, yes. But I couldn't bear to hurt her feelings, and they would have been badly hurt. And I couldn't stand the thought of all that money and space wasted.
Wow. That is brilliant!

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: need a chill pill need a chill pill need a chill pill need a chill pill need a ch

I would return it and get items I can use.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
SurprisinglyCrunchy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
Okay, I have been in that situation except it was a Williams Sonoma food processor. Tears and everything. This is what I did.

I went online and figured out approximately what they spent on the items, then picked out stuff I could actually use (my first set of nice frying pans, but I was very picky about the pieces--only a few and only what I would truly use, not a whole set). Then I called Williams Sonoma, explained that I would like an exchange, and arranged for a pickup with an order for my new stuff in the box. Then after it arrived, I called her and thanked her up and down for the pans. She was confused, she had sent me a food processor. Oh well, they must have made a mistake! And I LOVE my new frying pans, so don't worry about calling the store to fix it, Mom.

A bit deceitful, yes. But I couldn't bear to hurt her feelings, and they would have been badly hurt. And I couldn't stand the thought of all that money and space wasted.
I wish I could think of stuff like this. I probably wouldn't get away with it, though.
SurprisinglyCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh goodness I am so sorry. I'd have to be honest too and tell her you appreciate it but can't store it. Clutter stresses me too, so I know how you feel.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom has this insane rule that she to get everyone 13 gifts each. She got us so much crap (seriously crap) that I finally told her that we couldn't keep it all. It started when she was asking what DH wanted/needed because she still had X number of gifts to get him. I told her that he would appreciate ONE nice thing much more than having to keep up with a bunch of small things and that we've been declutterng and getting rid of everything we don't currently need/use. Luckily, she got it.this year she is getting us a Keurig and the kids got a play kitchen. I would have the declutterng talk with your mom again. Thank her profusely for the bowls and then say that you really need X and it would take up less space.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you tell your mum you *absolutely love* the stuff, but your kitchen is so small, and you're so disappointed you can't use it. Can you maybe go shopping with her next time you're there and have a lovely girly day?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd call Crate and Barrel, and see if they would do an exchange and pick up the items

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

Most big companies allow free returns. Call them and ask for a return label.
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
mayasmomma
Registered Users
seller

I would go for total honesty with an apologetic tone while talking to your mom. My mom ALWAYS does this kind of thing. She gives me these super sentimental gifts like pretty wooden boxes that play music, she gave me my own baby shoes dipped in copper with a big framed picture of me wearing them. Isn't that usually something a mom keeps for themselves??? Anyway - I don't even have the shelf space for them and I have no idea what to do with them.

The point is I'm trying to be more honest with her and straight to the point - Mom, I'm sorry - I know you're sentimental but I have no space for these but here is what I NEED.

Tell her what you NEED and say all though you appreciate the gifts you just can't keep them. Ask C&B if they'd do any kind of exchange. I would do this NOW before Christmas gets closer because if they are holiday themed those prices will drop! Good luck and don't worry so much about offending.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaPepper View Post
Most big companies allow free returns. Call them and ask for a return label.
going to try this on monday!!!
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote