Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

hen molting??

I have 10 - 9 month old hens. Two weeks ago I went out of town and left the chickens under the care of my landlord. When I left all 10 hens were still laying (no artificial light) And it rarely got below freezing at night.

I just got home and found that two of my hens have lost a ton of feathers. A third looks like she isnt far behind them. Only one hen is still laying. And we have had a cold snap with lots of rain.

Do you think everything is ok? I thought it was kind of weird to molt now when its gotten so cold! I leave in two days for four months and my landlord is taking care of them again. He seems proactive and told me he will ask some of his chicken friends but I am worried and would like to set them up for success while I am gone.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: hen molting??

Totally normal. Mine haven' t been laying well in this cold even with light and I think 1 is starting to moult despite being under a yr as well. Just double check for creepy crawlies (mites often come in winter) and don't worry.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

my friend has hens the same age as yours and all hers are molting as well. they aren't laying right now either. she said it's short lived though. they'll be back to normal soon.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Phew! Thanks ladies. I feel better. Will be on the lookout for bugs and let my landlord know, too. Mother nature sure is strange... I wouldn't have thought they'd decide to molt when its this cold out!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ha you may have answered the reason my 9 month olds may not be laying very well and are losing some feathers. My older girls are moulting as well, their first full adult moult. I forgot that they go through several small er moults as well. Thanks!
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote