Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #111
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Er, I've been up since 3:30 yesterday. I'm one grouchy Santa's helper. The weather is way off, it's 18 out. I must have pu one nasty bug at children's yesterday. I'm already sick. I feel like crap. The lack of sleep prob dropped my immune. The eggs were a garentee delivery yesterday and never made it. They arn't able to keep up with tracking so I'm on a long wait to talk with the main po. It appears i have the same issue with the eggs I sent out. Why bother paying for priority or tracking? it's just disgarded. Thank goodness I used the freshest of our eggs to send. I don't think the lady was able to do that for me cause she had to save enough for me to set. She has already told me to try them and right after Christmas she will replace them. Poor girl. Not her fault. I got a pkg from Gramma Rogers in Ca and it was destroyed, they told me I was supposted to take it to the po for a quick show. They won't even look. Our usps is spread to thin. I wonder if ups would be about the same price. Then I have to drive all the way to Crsvl to ship don't I? We're in the country here.

Vent over....... Hey, I feel better, lol. Kinda.

How's everyone dealing with this weather?

I think I'm gonna do a gravity fed pvc feeder for the grow out pen. I need to reinsulate the coop too. The wind ripped out the stapels in the cardboard I had blocking some cracks and extra vents. I also have to clean again. We are expecting another whole week of rain.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #112
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

The weather this past week has been rotten hasn't it. Good for our spring gardens though! The freezes should help kill some of the disease spores we all dealt with this year and maybe some of the pests I'm sure overwintered in my area last year.

We're making do. My girls are doing good with two hanging type feeders up on blocks. I don't want to fill anything bigger for fear that it will get wet and ruin the whole feeder's worth. I just can't afford that kind of loss. Been going out early to pour hot water into the water tray and give the jar a good whack or two to break up the ice in it. It gets cold enough to freeze about 1" thick but the water in the jar doesn't freeze completely. This am however I found that they had actually pecked little swiss cheese holes in the ice in the bottom (they must have been up REALLY early!) and were sipping it out as it melted. LOL Tough girls!

The babies are growing like weeds. I've been trying to take them out but it's been sooooo cold and they're not fully feathered yet. Need to set up a grow out area in the main coop's run asap.

Sarah if you can swing Emergen-C packets in your grocery budget this week, it will help you a ton! They're expensive but I went from a 2 sinus infections a year person to none with that and saline when I'm sick. No OTC medicines at all. Sorry about your eggs. I hope they show up soon.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #113
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
The weather this past week has been rotten hasn't it. Good for our spring gardens though! The freezes should help kill some of the disease spores we all dealt with this year and maybe some of the pests I'm sure overwintered in my area last year.
Great minds think alike. I was really hopeing this as well. A nice hard winter. Dreading it really, but we need some ballance back, kwim.
We're making do. My girls are doing good with two hanging type feeders up on blocks. I don't want to fill anything bigger for fear that it will get wet and ruin the whole feeder's worth. I just can't afford that kind of loss. Been going out early to pour hot water into the water tray and give the jar a good whack or two to break up the ice in it. It gets cold enough to freeze about 1" thick but the water in the jar doesn't freeze completely. This am however I found that they had actually pecked little swiss cheese holes in the ice in the bottom (they must have been up REALLY early!) and were sipping it out as it melted. LOL Tough girls!
Haha! Silly girls!
The babies are growing like weeds. I've been trying to take them out but it's been sooooo cold and they're not fully feathered yet. Need to set up a grow out area in the main coop's run asap.

Sarah if you can swing Emergen-C packets in your grocery budget this week, it will help you a ton! They're expensive but I went from a 2 sinus infections a year person to none with that and saline when I'm sick. No OTC medicines at all. Sorry about your eggs. I hope they show up soon.
I wish I could get some. I hear awsome things about that stuff. I've been lucky enough to find one pack of advil cold and sinus in the cabinet. I feel so much better. That's why I had severe night sweats trying to sleep last night. I must have not realised I was fighting a fever. I have just never had anything hit so fast!

The eggs are here! They are georgious. I hope some hatch. They were soooo cold! I think I'm done trusting usps with eggs.

We managed to get the stuff to make the pvc gravity feeder for the grow-out pen. I guess I'll put it together and up tomorrow? I did get the girls pen cleaned out. Pretty good considering the weather and as misserable as i am.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 12-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #114
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hello, ladies! Sorry I haven't been able to keep up! It's holiday craziness over here!

We finally got the heat panel out in the coop last night. Works nicely, and keeps the coop warm. The babies are getting BIG!!! I can hardly believe it! Most of them are starting to show some copper coloring, too!

One thing is for sure - their run is WAY too small. It was never meant to be a long term thing, but I don't think we will be able to build a bigger one until spring!

They knocked their food bowl over a couple times, and of course, on days when it rained off and on. So about 1/4 of their run space was covered in mushy food. I ended up just spreading some straw over top of it so they're not walking around in it. I didn't want to dig a big old mud hole in the soggy ground trying to shovel it out.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #115
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey Bekki! Glad to hear they are growing so well. I have trouble keeping up with breeds. What are yours again? Marans? I hear ya about the mud. I'm up to my ears in it! Well, atm it's frozen, lol. Is there grass there? You could spray it out. That's how I keep our clean. Our mud dries to like compcted concrete. I just wait till the sun comes out for a pretty day and spray it out. Then it dries and it's cleaner, much.

I'll share some pics of the newbys and new eggs soon! Gotta upload them. The house is quiet atm.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #116
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hatch 12/21 Ash or Ashly.

Yesterdays eggs sold

hatch 12/22 Winter-whte one and Chilli blue.

Ash with the 4 day olds.

the 1 weeks. I'm pretty sure these are Hope's white whicks. The older ones are mottles white with black specks. Georgious. Little brahmaXcochins, lol.

The bcm's and wheaton& wheaton/blk and Lav Amer's.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #117
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG, Sarah! You are hatching Lav. Ams???? I can't wait! Oh you need to send me eggs when you get them laying, I've been looking but they are sooo freaking expensive! Okay, total DROOL over all those little babies, I miss that stage.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #118
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fodie, all yours girl! I seriously hope they hatch! She plans to send more because of the delay, I didn't get many lavs this shipment, the cold shipping conditions. She had a huge order at the same time as me. He only wanted the lavs. She also has a limited number of particular layers atm and has to save up to send, so she planned on doing 2 shipments for each trade. I guess our money will be going towards coops, lol. Ray keeps saying we can't afford it if I can't sell the eggs. I need to show him some listings don't I? Haha!! He doesn't see why you could possibly make money. I wish I had someone who could show him they can earn their feed money. It's hard now, we feed so much and not everyone is laying. I also don't wanna sell the youngins till they lay. I have a cpl that turned out just beautifull!

Oh, the point, lol. What's mine is yours sweetie!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #119
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here are some of the pics she has shared with me:

Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #120
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Bekki my babies always make a huge mess in the run no matter how much space they have. lol!

Sarah I'm excited for you!

Something's coming, the girls only laid 5 eggs today. Last time they did that we had a downpour and the forecast is for a big storm coming in..eek! The babies are rambunctious and going insane in their box, flying to the rim of the box and staring at us the sneaky little smarties. LOL I think I can say for sure on the one boy, his comb really bloomed into a little raspberry the last day or two. The other 3 I still think girls.

AFM... darn it all dh gave me his man-cold! (which means for me as a woman it's just a cold) LOL! Stuffy, and I should have known by how tired I've been the past 2 days and a little sinusy- but I ignored the signs, darn it all! Hoping to give it a good kick by christmas day, I'm pounding the Vit-C and doing sinus rinse.

Got all my holiday baking done, wrapped... badabing! Today! Was on my feet from 6am to 10 pm but by god, it's done! Have a few presents to wrap tomorrow, small things. We took a trip down to palm desert last night to go to the wildlights display. The kids had a ball! Beautiful lights everywhere.. a massive model train set, SANTA!!! and a really neat carousel made in a wild animal theme. I admit I got a little choked up seeing all my "babies" on it and hearing the starting chime and their beaming faces. Wonderful time.

We will be super busy the next couple days so....

Have a very merry, peaceful, joyful christmas all my chicken mama friends!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote