Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #121
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Liz, if you have another bin and lamp, you can make a makeshift brooder and put 2 in it. They get so antsy when the space get's cramped. Or a big box? Many stores like $ stores just put the boxes in the paper dumpster, not compacted. Or a garage to make a cardboard corral?

Aw, sweetie I hope you feel better soon. Thank goodness I had the coloidal silver and advil cold and sinus. The only thing that works for me. I'm better now. Still sneezing. The sinus rinses are the bomb though! Oh man, they feel so nice when done.

Sounds like you had a blast. We have a tradition every year, even befor ethe boys, where we drive and look at lights. Nobody does lights here though. I think we will still try. At least we'll have the Christmas music and time together.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #122
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Bekki my babies always make a huge mess in the run no matter how much space they have. lol!

Sarah I'm excited for you!

Something's coming, the girls only laid 5 eggs today. Last time they did that we had a downpour and the forecast is for a big storm coming in..eek! The babies are rambunctious and going insane in their box, flying to the rim of the box and staring at us the sneaky little smarties. LOL I think I can say for sure on the one boy, his comb really bloomed into a little raspberry the last day or two. The other 3 I still think girls.

AFM... darn it all dh gave me his man-cold! (which means for me as a woman it's just a cold) LOL! Stuffy, and I should have known by how tired I've been the past 2 days and a little sinusy- but I ignored the signs, darn it all! Hoping to give it a good kick by christmas day, I'm pounding the Vit-C and doing sinus rinse.

Got all my holiday baking done, wrapped... badabing! Today! Was on my feet from 6am to 10 pm but by god, it's done! Have a few presents to wrap tomorrow, small things. We took a trip down to palm desert last night to go to the wildlights display. The kids had a ball! Beautiful lights everywhere.. a massive model train set, SANTA!!! and a really neat carousel made in a wild animal theme. I admit I got a little choked up seeing all my "babies" on it and hearing the starting chime and their beaming faces. Wonderful time.

We will be super busy the next couple days so....

Have a very merry, peaceful, joyful christmas all my chicken mama friends!
Yeah we are forecasted to get hit again. Last week we were in the middle of a blizzard and no electricity for 10 hours.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #123
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Alrighty,

I have gotten 3 eggs in 3 days, and I have 3 hens that were laying everyday. I was getting 3 a day last week. I don't get it, I have a 250 watt heat lamp in the coop, mostly because Dh has not finished it yet and it's just a bit drafty, not bad but I got worried and just put it in for them. Anyway, it's on all the time, so I would expect that they would be laying??? They all look fine too, nice and plump no mites, fleas, bugs etc of any kind. WTHeck is going on? Oh and all my roos are trying to mate the heck out of these three hens, wondering if they are pissed with me... if thats the problem though, I will list them on CL with no quams.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #124
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Arg, DP
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!

Last edited by Nielsen6; 12-28-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #125
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could be the breed? Non-winter layers? or is this their first winter? I read most breeds will lay through their first. All I know is I sure wish my spoiled butt girls would all lay. I can't keep up with all the families buying eggs. We don't even get any. Man girl, 1 a day. That really bites. Sorry hun.

AFM-Ray lost his job last night. So he has decided to let me try a cpl breeding coops. Now we have to figure out materials. Where is everyone getting pallets? I can't do another $600 per coop! He's gonna have to forget the pressure treated crud for now. They can be nice and roomy, but I can paint to protect pallet wood.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #126
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wyandottes, they were doing fine until it snowed though. I think I need to get the roo's out though, they are just horny lil' turds.

ETS: SO sorry about Ray losing his job, I hope he finds a new one soon. Crap this economy sucks.

Last edited by Nielsen6; 12-28-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #127
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 4 EE that were new this past spring, they are turning out to be very poor winter layers so far. We get one green egg a day lately since it's been cold ( under 32) Our RSL laid like mad hens through their first winter, nothing seemed to slow them down. Our Dom to, she laid great her first winter.They are moulting now ( dom and RSL's) so out of 9 total hens we have been getting 0-3 eggs a day. I will be very happy for spring. If the EE don't pick up by then I will be checking for other reasons for not laying. They are big and healthy, no signs of mites or illness. I think it's their way of protesting the cold. I would too if I had to live outdoors in a MN winter!
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #128
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The biggest problem is that DH is not thrilled about the eggs and will not eat them for some reason.... If he wants eggs he goes to the store and buys them! I told him if he buys another carton of eggs I'll throw them at him But now the girls are not laying, so that means he wins and I have to buy crappy store eggs....dangit!

Last edited by Nielsen6; 12-28-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #129
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fodie, it may very well be from overmating. Poor gals!

0-3 stinks. So much feed. I guess it all works out if they lay well come spring.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #130
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dang Fodie, I'd be sooooo mad, lol!!!