Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #131
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Could be the breed? Non-winter layers? or is this their first winter? I read most breeds will lay through their first. All I know is I sure wish my spoiled butt girls would all lay. I can't keep up with all the families buying eggs. We don't even get any. Man girl, 1 a day. That really bites. Sorry hun.

AFM-Ray lost his job last night. So he has decided to let me try a cpl breeding coops. Now we have to figure out materials. Where is everyone getting pallets? I can't do another $600 per coop! He's gonna have to forget the pressure treated crud for now. They can be nice and roomy, but I can paint to protect pallet wood.
ahh crud Sarah that's horrible! Hope he finds another one soon and hope that breeding works out well for you!

Advertisement

Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #132
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you. In the meantime, he's catching up on things here. It's been so nice having him hime. I'm gonna miss him when he finds work again.

I dought they will bring in much money, but it sure will be wonderfull having some special breeds around. I can't wait to see what designs he draws up. I have my own, which he likes, he is just better at practical. We also have to have runs. That's prob gonna be the most money, all that framing and wire.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #133
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

well look at it this way. Your garden will bring in food. Chickens will bring in some meat and eggs will bring in the spending cash. Theoretically then if he found a job he would really only need it to pay the mortgage. I know there are other variables but that's a good way to look at it! LOL
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #134
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's the way I'm trying to see it!

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #135
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So one of my husband's co-workers showed me his chickens and said I could take some eggs to incubate when I'm ready. (I can't find a dang styrofoam box anywhere!) The dad would be a game of roulette as they have 3 roosters but the hen I liked best was so pretty. She wasn't very big, lays green eggs, and is black laced. Does this sound like any particular breed or is she just a pretty mix? The guy didn't know the breed of any of them.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #136
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Alrighty,

I have gotten 3 eggs in 3 days, and I have 3 hens that were laying everyday. I was getting 3 a day last week. I don't get it, I have a 250 watt heat lamp in the coop, mostly because Dh has not finished it yet and it's just a bit drafty, not bad but I got worried and just put it in for them. Anyway, it's on all the time, so I would expect that they would be laying??? They all look fine too, nice and plump no mites, fleas, bugs etc of any kind. WTHeck is going on? Oh and all my roos are trying to mate the heck out of these three hens, wondering if they are pissed with me... if thats the problem though, I will list them on CL with no quams.
Fodie I could be wrong but I don't think the red light has the same effect. Sorry you're not getting much. Have you changed the nest boxes? Yeah sounds like too many boys for your gals. Wish I were closer, I'd take one off your hands! Not so impressed with mine right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Could be the breed? Non-winter layers? or is this their first winter? I read most breeds will lay through their first. All I know is I sure wish my spoiled butt girls would all lay. I can't keep up with all the families buying eggs. We don't even get any. Man girl, 1 a day. That really bites. Sorry hun.

AFM-Ray lost his job last night. So he has decided to let me try a cpl breeding coops. Now we have to figure out materials. Where is everyone getting pallets? I can't do another $600 per coop! He's gonna have to forget the pressure treated crud for now. They can be nice and roomy, but I can paint to protect pallet wood.
Oh sarah I'm so sorry! Hope another comes along soon and I know you guys will get so much of your to do list done! I have the same problem (a nice one to have, but still.. ) there's another mama buying eggs from me, she buys 4 doz at a time and my girls have been slackin' in the cold... 7 a day from 14 young hens! Got their light plugged back in again, gave them nice fresh shavings in the boxes and got 10 today. Water has been a problem, either they drink thru before I can get out there in the am or it freezes over. ARgh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post
We have 4 EE that were new this past spring, they are turning out to be very poor winter layers so far. We get one green egg a day lately since it's been cold ( under 32) Our RSL laid like mad hens through their first winter, nothing seemed to slow them down. Our Dom to, she laid great her first winter.They are moulting now ( dom and RSL's) so out of 9 total hens we have been getting 0-3 eggs a day. I will be very happy for spring. If the EE don't pick up by then I will be checking for other reasons for not laying. They are big and healthy, no signs of mites or illness. I think it's their way of protesting the cold. I would too if I had to live outdoors in a MN winter!
What a shame, my ee girls are my most reliable! I'm 90% sure one of my sexlinks and 1 rir haven't laid in a month at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
The biggest problem is that DH is not thrilled about the eggs and will not eat them for some reason.... If he wants eggs he goes to the store and buys them! I told him if he buys another carton of eggs I'll throw them at him But now the girls are not laying, so that means he wins and I have to buy crappy store eggs....dangit!
What? why? My family will flat out refuse store eggs now. I made dh a plate of our eggs back when the girls started laying, then when he asked for more I made store eggs because I was out of ours, and he took one bite made a face and said he couldn't eat them. I didn't tell them they weren't ours but he knew! Anyone who tries them eventually asks me if they can buy some. I'll be honest, I was never a big fan of eggs until I tasted fresh eggs. What a shame that commercial farming has skewed our expectations of food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
So one of my husband's co-workers showed me his chickens and said I could take some eggs to incubate when I'm ready. (I can't find a dang styrofoam box anywhere!) The dad would be a game of roulette as they have 3 roosters but the hen I liked best was so pretty. She wasn't very big, lays green eggs, and is black laced. Does this sound like any particular breed or is she just a pretty mix? The guy didn't know the breed of any of them.
Did she have a fluffy face? There's only a few breeds that lay green and the most common is easter eggers. If they have lots of roos, you'll get lots of mixed birds. This isn't bad however, mixed breeds are often the strongest and best layers. Do you have a old ice chest laying around? I have read a lot of positive feedback about incubators made from coolers on backyardchickens.com.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #137
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

AFM, Christmas week was crazy and this week we've just been relaxing and having a lot of family time. I forgot to get the chick's 4wk pic, and they're coming up on 5 weeks, holy cow that went fast! Still have the 1 for sure roo, the other 3 are still unknown. Only one appears to have a beard as of yet which is very disappointing to me. I really want to keep my EE's bearded. I was hoping for a bearded male to mate with Greta but as of yet it looks like he's unbearded like his dad. I'm toying with getting a purebred AM rooster. The chicks are outside in the grow out pen for the first time tonight with the heat lamp. I'm nervous but they seem ok. There's only one that still hasn't feathered in around the eyes and they all have some baby fluff under the wing still but belly and back are covered.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #138
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They sound precious Liz. I don't think I'll be doing a featured breed this month. I'll just drop a photobomb, lol. I have so many pics backed up!

My newyears day chicks all arrived but 2 yesterday on Rays B-day. One at 2:15 this am, that's why I'm now up. Have to post pics. I has a cpl not make it so from 10 I have 7? One still hatching. The low humidity gives me early hatches.

Gotta get the Jan thread started.

What r u doin up Liz?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #139
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No in fact my fisrt guess was a Wyandotte. Do they get very big? I just saw a picture of a Wyandotte rooster and hen and 2 of the Roos there look like them and were fairly small like the hen as well. The other rooster was huge but a giant sweetheart.

The hen looks like these too but her head was more black I think and like I said she lays green eggs.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #140
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
No in fact my fisrt guess was a Wyandotte. Do they get very big? I just saw a picture of a Wyandotte rooster and hen and 2 of the Roos there look like them and were fairly small like the hen as well. The other rooster was huge but a giant sweetheart.

The hen looks like these too but her head was more black I think and like I said she lays green eggs.
lacing of the feathers is not unique to the wyandotte, think of it as a trait like red hair. Any breed could have it if bred into it. A wyandotte will lay brown eggs. The most commonly available green laying chicken is the easter egger but there are other rarer birds that do as well. She could also be a cross breed of a wyandotte and ee but just looks wyandotte. All that to say that she may have a wyandotte that lays green but that isn' t the norm.