Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Oh my dear lord, I bought a new fan for the incubator and it came today. Suffice to say I don't think I'd ever have a problem with airflow. The dang thing is 5" across! Poor newborn chicks are gonna look like they're in a wind tunnel.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, Michelle! Adorable chicks!!! At least one of those black frizzles definitely looks like a roo. I only say this because of what I JUST went through!

I LOVE Frizzles, though!!! I can't wait to get mine!!!

Liz - Oh nooo! Broken eggs stink!

Sarah, those two slits are the only ventilation. I could find a way to keep the door propped open at night? Maybe DH could cut some extra holes into the other side?

I will take pics tomorrow of the inside.

Wind shouldn't be too much of a problem where we have the coop set up right now. Our property is mostly wooded, and we have this little patch of grass right outside the walkout door from the basement. It slopes downhill to a little level area. So it's surrounded by hills and trees - mostly protected from the wind. The only thing I don't love is having them soooo close to the woods. But then again, our house is basically IN the woods. LOL We're hoping to do some serious land-clearing next year, though!

Took the babies to play out in the run today and they were in HEAVEN! Oh, they are SO mad at me for bringing them back in.

They should be OK to sleep in the coop in a couple weeks or so. We will have the heat figured out by then. I'm reeeeally nervous about putting any kind of bulb in there. WHat do you think about one of those heating mats, or heat panels? I've seen them online and they look like a good idea.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So woukd a pullet laying small light eggs, all of a sudden start laying brown eggs? Or would she really not have laid for 3 weeks?
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #24
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
So woukd a pullet laying small light eggs, all of a sudden start laying brown eggs? Or would she really not have laid for 3 weeks?
Oh Becky... I think I'd give up trying to figure your girls out until spring. You're gonna make yourself crazy. Only two explanation for a 3 wk quit with a proven hen, broodiness and a hidden nest.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #25
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Oh my dear lord, I bought a new fan for the incubator and it came today. Suffice to say I don't think I'd ever have a problem with airflow. The dang thing is 5" across! Poor newborn chicks are gonna look like they're in a wind tunnel.
Hah! Can you picture a cartoon chicks blown out hairdo?!!! So funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
Oh, Michelle! Adorable chicks!!! At least one of those black frizzles definitely looks like a roo. I only say this because of what I JUST went through!

I LOVE Frizzles, though!!! I can't wait to get mine!!!

Liz - Oh nooo! Broken eggs stink!

Sarah, those two slits are the only ventilation. I could find a way to keep the door propped open at night? Maybe DH could cut some extra holes into the other side?

I will take pics tomorrow of the inside.

Wind shouldn't be too much of a problem where we have the coop set up right now. Our property is mostly wooded, and we have this little patch of grass right outside the walkout door from the basement. It slopes downhill to a little level area. So it's surrounded by hills and trees - mostly protected from the wind. The only thing I don't love is having them soooo close to the woods. But then again, our house is basically IN the woods. LOL We're hoping to do some serious land-clearing next year, though!

Took the babies to play out in the run today and they were in HEAVEN! Oh, they are SO mad at me for bringing them back in.

They should be OK to sleep in the coop in a couple weeks or so. We will have the heat figured out by then. I'm reeeeally nervous about putting any kind of bulb in there. WHat do you think about one of those heating mats, or heat panels? I've seen them online and they look like a good idea.
Sounds like you have a good non-drafty place. Go for it, esp if they had a good time last time!

If you just have the 2 slits and the rest is sealed, I'd think of some more vent. You really don't want condensation. You'd prob be ok with a 150? They also make the heat wafer, ceramic things that screw into the light socket. Saw some on e-bay where i got the peepers. I had a discount thing, think it was December.
If you want to give it a try I can get their store name? You amazon may be cheaper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
I don't think so? I'd look up the breed and compare color. I still can't figure out what's layin what in my coop. Now I think I have 2 laying identical in color and shape eggs to the cochins. I'm doin the food coloring method, with a pipette. Easy and I'm finding out the info I needed!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #26
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs

Oh Becky... I think I'd give up trying to figure your girls out until spring. You're gonna make yourself crazy. Only two explanation for a 3 wk quit with a proven hen, broodiness and a hidden nest.
See that's what I thought. They are contained thou, so not sure where a nest would be. I'm just gonna figure that she is being kept away from the food too much due to bullying.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #27
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Becky when my hens first started laying there was some bickering over nest boxes. I had to add another one. The girls that needed to lay but were pushed out would either wind up dropping an egg while running or they'd hold it! Did anyone moult?

Could you add 1 or 2 nests in another location? I use tubs with a hole cut in the side like a cat box but just about anything would work. My girls really liked the bucket nests when we had those too. I have also heard numerous stories of hens squeezing under the coop to lay. A friend of ours said their hen would sit in a small space between the coop and the fence and she had 100+ eggs in there when they discovered it! They never looked there because it was only like a 3" gap!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi ladies! I'm joining in I have a 2 small flocks of 6 hens each, so a total of 12 chickens. 1 coop is my silkies and naked necks and one tiny partridge wyandotte bantam. and the other are my ''big'' ladies, 2 buff Orps, 1 marans, 1 welsummer and 2 seabrights (who aren't so big but they prefer the company of my big ladies, for some reason)
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #29
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

welcome! Pictures of the ladies please!!! Curious why you did two pens.. most people I know just throw them all in together.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #30
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
welcome! Pictures of the ladies please!!! Curious why you did two pens.. most people I know just throw them all in together.
Well, first I started with only 4 chicks...then slowly kept collecting more chickens so I bought another small coop and then put my silkies in there since they don't seem to like the big chickens. DH is wanting to build a larger coop in the Spring so I might do that. I have ''tractors'' so I can move them to fresh grass every 2-3 days since I live in the city.

These are my ''big ladies''
From left to right:
Coco (Marans), Dolce (buff Orp), Penny (Welsummer), Gabanna (buff Orp)

One of my Seabrights (this is Thelma, and my other is Louise)

This is Pepper, silkie

This is Cricket, my really sassy Silkie. She has attitude! Then in the background of the pic is Sylvia, a Wynadotte that I gave to my midwife.

This is Francine, a silkie naked neck

and I don't have a pic of Goldie, my partridge bantam, or Blueberry my silkie splash yet.

Last edited by Edensmomma; 12-04-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote