Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #41
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Oh man, they get cabin feaver quickly don't they. Mine are just starting!

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #42
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

OK, I just put the chickies outside. It's 26 degrees out and the ground is frozen, but there's no snow or anything. They have their box out there with some straw for them to cuddle up if they get cold.

They seem to be doing fine so far. They look like they have all their feathers, and the breeder said they should probably be ready for outdoor living about now.

FIL is coming over today to run electric out to the coop, and my heating panel should be arriving today, as well.

Part of me wants to see how they do in the coop tonight. And part of me is absolutely terrified.

They have all their feathers, AND they have heat in the coop. They should be OK, right?

I'm going to watch them very closely today to see how they handle the chilly weather.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #43
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think they will be fine Bekki. I never sleep with little outside. I put this batch out there at around 5 weeks I thnk it was. I can't remember these things, lol. They had most feathers though. But, thye have the 250 lamp and plenaty of space to get warm. They are so happy. I still don't sleep though. That old mothering instinct.

Well, I added 2 littles to the grow out pen and they are still adjusting. It's been a cpl days. I think I have another cockeral that's an issue. Stinks. This little fella has the bigestblack wide soulfull eyes. Such a sweet perfect little cochin. Just picks at others though. Not feather pecking, just pecks and chases. I think he needs to go. he was sweet till I mixed them all together and he hung with the mean boys. Ugh. I thought he would calm back down. He had half of the day before I decide. Of course it takes the whole day to catch the buggers. I'd prob have to do it tomorrow.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #44
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ha, I saw Hope mate today!!!!! I just knew it, lol. She's modest!!! They hid behind the john boat, haha!!! I inserted some yellow food coloring in her so I can see if she is laying. I'll figure it out!

Where is everyone?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #45
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi Sarah,

How many babies you have now? Weeding out the bullies?

Well I had the flu, that sucked. Chickens might have been slightly neglected because they didn't get any treats for 3 days

Unforunatly the worst is the news that I got today, a good friend of mine was beaten by her husband and is in a coma. She was on DS but is not active now. She was a mentor of sorts, helped me with my knitting more often than I would like to admit. A sweet wonderful woman with two wonderful babies at home. If ya'll could send up some prayers for her that would be great. Liz, I am not sure if you know her but assume you might. Message me on FB if you would like.

Anyway, all is better here. Trying to clean up a bit here and there, going to get the tree tomorrow and try to be cheerful.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #46
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Unforunatly the worst is the news that I got today, a good friend of mine was beaten by her husband and is in a coma. She was on DS but is not active now. She was a mentor of sorts, helped me with my knitting more often than I would like to admit. A sweet wonderful woman with two wonderful babies at home. If ya'll could send up some prayers for her that would be great. Liz, I am not sure if you know her but assume you might. Message me on FB if you would like.
Terrible news, sending lots of prayers for your friend. I am so sorry.

Glad you are feeling better!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #47
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Hi Sarah,

How many babies you have now? Weeding out the bullies?

Well I had the flu, that sucked. Chickens might have been slightly neglected because they didn't get any treats for 3 days

Anyway, all is better here. Trying to clean up a bit here and there, going to get the tree tomorrow and try to be cheerful.

Oh no sweetie! That's just terrible. All my prayers comin your way hun!

Hope you are feeling better hun!

Outside there is 11 I believe. I may decide to remove the one trouble maker. They all fight so bad. Mean little stinkers. I've been saying that since hatch day!

Then inside I have 4 in a big brooder, they are almost big enoughto go out. Another week or 2. And then 8 littles. I'm starting to wonder if the only amaricauna Sp? and one blrw that hatched are both cockerals. I took some detailed pics. I'll try to get them posted soon.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #48
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I am so sorry, mama. How horrible. I will be thinking of her, her little ones and you.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #49
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I always got such a bad feeling about her dh. I can't believe it. She just got one of her older girls back too, so there's three at home that I know of. So sad.

Sarah I thought you had way more than that? (babies)

Sorry I've been mia, trying to get Christmas stuff taken care of, busy busy busy! Little chickie-poos are doing great, haven't found a feeder spillage solution that works really well with this group yet though. Driving me nuts how much they are wasting. I just throw it out in the garden, the big girls pick it up so at least it's not a total waste but STILL! grr... they are feathering in fast now. Being a little skittish so I need to spend more time holding them this week.

Big girls are doing good also, Fred is sure taking a lot of fluff off their backs though, thinking I'm going to be doing a apron making marathon. I don't want them down to bare skin. Stupid boy.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #50
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about puttin a pair of peepers on him? For spill proof, I found the round feeder that uses a mason works well. I do deep shavings, so I use a little butter dish with a big lid from a thing of coffee on top. I then set the feeder on it in a corner. The long one I hang now for bigger gals.

May sound funny, but when it's time to clean the brooders, once a week, I dump the shavings in the big run so the girls can pick all the treats and feed out of it. it also keeps a little shavings in the run, It's slanted ground so they all end up down the hill, lol. Sometimes they hear something and flip out, spilling the feeder, so there's always some feed in the bottom.

I lost 1 to a broken leg, (2inside with the dang feeder with dislocated hocks), 5 roos put down the other day, now......1 put down today. Can't remember what I started with, but I have 8 now. One is a bantam from one of the 2 bantams we had. I have her fs. I don't want any bantams. She's silver penciled. Perhaps I should keep her, lol. SOOOOO georgious and she holds her own to be teeny!
This is her: