Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #61
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Ack!!! Quick!!!

Babies did fine in the coop last night. They were kinda ticked at me for locking them in there, but they did fine. They were happy to come out in the morning and got right back to their usual silliness.

So now I have an issue: The heater still hasn't arrived. Some issue with the drop-shipper. I paid for 2-day shipping on Wednesday. Sooo.... ugh.

Anyway, last night's temps dropped to 36. But tonight, they are supposed to go down to 26.

Do you think my 5.5 week, fully feathered chicks will be OK? Their coop is full of nice, dry straw. And it is relatively small.

If I had to, I could figure out a way to rig up the heat lamp from the brooder, but then they would have a bright light on all night. And the bulb is pretty warm - 250w I think? Might be too much for such a small space.

Ugh! Now I'm worried all over again!

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #62
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just put a lamp in there with a regular bulb, 75 or 100watt, they will be fine
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #63
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Just put a lamp in there with a regular bulb, 75 or 100watt, they will be fine
Bekki I agree w/ Fodie. A regular 100wt light bulb should raise the temp around 10 degrees and fully feathered with that many of them they should be fine in the coop the way that you have it set up. Don't worry.

Aww, I'm dreading the moult next year. How bad off is Cookie? Maybe a chicken fleece sweater?

http://citygirlfarming.wordpress.com...ezing-chicken/

AFM, similar story. Somebody is a brat in my coop. SOMEBODY plucked every. last. saddle feather off Fred last night in their sleep and gnawed a couple other girls and I suspect it's Norah. She's getting more and more irritating, that hen. I think if I get more than 2 baby girls from the ones I just hatched I may sell her and Pearl (who is also a trouble maker and one of my least favorite hens) and keep the EE babies. I think my EE's are the only ones I can honestly say I've had ZERO issues with (knock on wood). I thought Fred was soley to blame for all the bare tails. I guess not. I also think I'll be making some hen aprons here in the next few days. :/

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 12-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #64
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bekki, what Fodie said! It'll get ya through till the nice one arrives.

Man Liz, are our chickies going nuts? Could it be the change of seasion? Poor guy. Some of my littles I merged into the coop 2 nights ago had that done to their tails. I'm so po. I just don't know what the issue is with everyone lately.

I did the unthinkable last night and took Patients to the coop. I fed her with the others and believe thie!!!!She ate big girl pellets with ease. Guess they go down easier. Her flock nolonger likes her though. That's why I had to do it now, took some eyeballs off of her. I checked again late last night. Dumb ol Daisy May was in a nest box with Patients! got some crappy pics, fluff bums in the way, lol. I'll share them soon.

I have to go let the girls our, I'm late, and feed them. I can't wait to check Patients. She kept trying to jump on my sholder last night. Not a happy camper. I may have to let daisy May sleep in there with her for a while? Lordy!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #65
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm gonna drop a bonb so prepare yourselves!
Includes the Amauricauna (sp?) chick and blrw chick (tell if you think they are cockerals ), the cat snuggling with Patients, a HUGE stump I got all the compost out of, 3 double-yolkers (3.2, 3.2, and 3.4 oz!), and William and Patients. Hope I don't kill this thread!

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #66
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Wow, neat tree stump! I probably would have been tempted to put some edible mushroom spores in it to see if I could grow some. Too hot here. Patience is so sweet. So far, the two don't look like boys. The BLRW looks like a splash female, and the other chick I'm not sure what it is. The feet are yellow=not an ameraucana and probably not ee unless it's half parentage because I don't see any other features that an EE would have either. The feet are also very thick which makes me think more of a heavy breed. Was this one from your stock sarah?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #67
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had to laugh, yesterday I read an article that talked about how many chickens you woukd have to have to support your family in the time of a shtf time.

Summer total was 36, winter total was 90. sure I will get right on that.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #68
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bekki!!!! I can't even reach that quota!

Liz, The little yellow is the one that was born with the really fat cheeks, still has some. It's pure white. There was one white hen in the pen, some ameracauna hens, and then tons of the blrw's. I was so excited I failed to notice any A roos? All the chickens they said were A's and the blrw. She was unsure, it was the man who had more info for me.

The little white had to be put in the grow-out pen with the second batch of babies tonight. I put the blrw in with her. Buddy system. That dang chick picked every single feather off of the feet and leggs on all the chicks in the brooder with it. Even started to just randomly pull chest feathers. Wondering if the thing has a mental issue!!

Glad to hear they don't look like roos!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea, hahaha!!!!

Oh, I have the spores set to favorites and still havn't saved a penny towards them! The stump was full of compleatly composted wood and leaves! I'm so tempted to do something with it, haha!!! Think of the beauty of planting out the side and top! Natural pot!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #69
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Sarah, your pics make me want to take pics of my chicks in front of the Christmas tree! I am SO doing that.

A weird thing happened today. Our chicks, we got from a hatchery thru the mail are 6 weeks old this week. A couple weeks ago we were in the feed store and I happened to ask the owner if he would be ordering chickens anytime soon and if I could add a few silkies in with his order. He said, sure no problem, he would likely make an order after the holidays.

So, he took my info down and asked what I wanted. Without too much thought, since it was a spur of the moment inquiry, I blurted out 2 white & 2 black silkies, considering we already had buff and did not know what the hatchery carried other than those. I was just feeling him out to see if we could add on to his regular order of chicks. I was even pretty sure he would not do this so, I was excited he would and jumped at the opportunity not to have to make a special order myself with the hatchery and pay all the extra fees.

So, I figured we would discuss it more when they placed the order, like they would call me and ask if I still wanted those and wanted to add any others on the day they place the order, ya know?

Well this morning we get a call from him saying our silkies had arrived! I about died! Our 6 wk old chicks have been outside going on 3 weeks now, we did not have a brooder set up and no extra heat lamp. But, I hauled butt up to the store and picked up my four beauties! I am giddy with excitement and cannot stop watching them tonight. Oh, I went to Home Depot for another lamp and bulb, since the feed store was sold out.

We only had 2 silkies with our hatchery order in Nov, and they turned out to be our favorites, we never had them before and we are so thankful for these additional angels. Now that I am thinking about it, I don't even know how he ordered them, because they have been sold out on the hatcheries website for weeks....I must call him to find out how he swung it. They say sold out til Spring 2013. I think Santa must have been involved...

I could not wait for Ariana to get home from school today, and of course of all things, she got detention for not turning in an assignment and so I had to wait two extra hours for her to get home!!!

They all appear to be in excellent shape, they arrived with what looked to be 40 other chicks, big standard sized ones. One of the black ones seems a wee bit on the small side, but eating and drinking away just like the others. I am so happy happy! And it's wonderful that the feed store will take my orders when they order, so we can get additional ones when some of these beauties turn roo and we have to rehome them.

This time I put the starter food thru the food processor since these littles have a hard time with the larger crumbles. I think they are doing great with it and eating tons. We have them in the bottom of our finch cage, the finches are afraid of them, but they can hang out in the top of the cage, so we don't worry about them. Oh, I am in love with these babies and Ariana was so incredibly happy and surprised like I was. Jim thinks they are pretty wonderful and cute too, along with my mom and dad. This was a good day, much better than a couple weeks ago when we lost Precious.

Anyway, photobomb coming....

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 01-21-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #70
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Bekki I could totally see doing 36 but 90! Holy bat poo, can you imagine cleaning the coops!

Sarah, nope def not a pure ameraucana. Maybe a leghorn cross? That would explain it being so big. Yeah, that's what I was thinking, what a neat natural planting that would make!

Michelle... AHHHHH! They are so cute! Forgot to take a pic of our babies today. Crazy day, maybe tomorrow.

So my fruitcake chickens, it's pouring rain right... just... buckets.. well I go out to collect eggs and expect to find them inside dry and warm. nope, they're out fighting over the prime locations in a mud bog they've created. Desert chickens. Tonight that came back to bite them in the butt. I had put hen aprons on some of the girls that were the most moth-eaten between fred and the plucking hens. Had to take those off, soaked. They got themselves so wet and muddy that they were soaked clean down to the skin. I checked them a couple hours after they went to bed, nope, still soaking wet. No heat source since my lamp's in the baby brooder and nothing to sub in. I had to take a tiny ceramic space heater we use for the camper out there and put it up on the shelf by their door for a few hours just to get them to dry out. They're still quite muddy but at least their fluff is mostly dry now. Dummies! Don't worry, it's out now and I was checking on them every 1/2 hr or so to make sure all was ok when it was running. Temp keeps dropping and it's raining slushy stuff, trying to snow. They sure gave me a scare tonight. Guess I'll be looking to order a ceramic heat bulb as well.