Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #71
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Hey ladies. Haven't been around too much, but always reading. My hen in the house is back in the coop and doing ok. I didn't want to keep her inside too long, and she started to chatter to us when we went in the room, keening to be let out, I thought. I am thankful for our (so far) mild winter because of some of my girls with their feather issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Bekki I could totally see doing 36 but 90! Holy bat poo, can you imagine cleaning the coops!
I could see 36, too. We have 26 now and I want to reno the barn to have another flock by next fall....

I had noticed some odd behaviour in my girls for the last few months, and just realized what is going on, I think. When I walk in the back, they all come running to me and flock around, following me and walking all around my feet, as chickens do. Well, if it happened that one was directly in front of me, almost under me, she would squat and spread her wings a bit, stamping her feet for a moment. I couldn't figure it out. I wondered if they had something neurological going on, I was a bit worried. Well, watching them this week, I have realized that they think I am the rooster now that the rooster is gone. That's totally what they did when he was on top of them. Just call me Roo. Silly chickens.

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #72
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Michelle!!!!! Ah congrats sweetie. What a huge blessing. None of our stores have chicks, ever. I have adds everywhere for hatching eggs for all sorts of breeds in hopes of hatching some cuties for Ray. He so wants a little silkie or simular.

Liz, mine do the same when it rains. With it so cold, I have to keep them locked up when it rains. They still play in the mud in the run and get all wet. Worries me sick!

The 2 littles did great in the grow-out pen last night! So proud of them.

The ones I merged to the main coop are doing great. No issues with the hens or roo, just them bickering amongst themselves, lol. They allready come running when I open the house door! It's only been a cpl day that they have been "free". One little roo (I am guessing because of the tail) follows me everywhere. Poor Ray about broke his neck yest afternoon. He went out befor eme and Patients and the little man were right under his feet. Like puppies!

That georgious cochin I watched closely, is amazing. It get's in my lap! Hardly knows me, haha. I planned on keeping her anyhow. I have to get a pic. The boys held her most of the time we were out to play yesterday. So sweet. I just love these cochins.

I put my little blue out there with Patients while it had a chance. It's too big for the group in the grow-out pen. I'm feeding those two together in the run, locked, in hopes they will buddy up.

I'm just so proud of how the hens have taken to these chicks! No issues! I'm amazed!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #73
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
Hey ladies. Haven't been around too much, but always reading. My hen in the house is back in the coop and doing ok. I didn't want to keep her inside too long, and she started to chatter to us when we went in the room, keening to be let out, I thought. I am thankful for our (so far) mild winter because of some of my girls with their feather issues.

I have been wondering how she was. So did they accept her back ok? Mine always get weird when I have to pull someone out and then put them back.

I could see 36, too. We have 26 now and I want to reno the barn to have another flock by next fall....

I had noticed some odd behaviour in my girls for the last few months, and just realized what is going on, I think. When I walk in the back, they all come running to me and flock around, following me and walking all around my feet, as chickens do. Well, if it happened that one was directly in front of me, almost under me, she would squat and spread her wings a bit, stamping her feet for a moment. I couldn't figure it out. I wondered if they had something neurological going on, I was a bit worried. Well, watching them this week, I have realized that they think I am the rooster now that the rooster is gone. That's totally what they did when he was on top of them. Just call me Roo. Silly chickens.
Ha, as soon as you started to explain I was gonna guess roo Moma! Silly gals. Get those ladies a man!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #74
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

ha, Kat that's the only way I can "catch" some of mine. LOL The more I pick them up and pet their little faces when they do that the friendlier they get though. Greta follows me around in the coop like a dog.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #75
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3
Now, that is just too cute! I can just see them doing that!

I read everything I can, but with so much going on and not knowing how to multi quote on the iPad, I do not post too much. Love the updates, go chicken mamas!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #76
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Here's my bitty babies, 2 weeks and 2 days old now. Still have only named Sophia, I suppose we ought to call them something other than "lacy's baby" or "carmen's baby" LOL. I just hate to name them when I don't want to keep all of them. Sophia is growing in buff colored feathers on her legs and chest, I'm dying to know what she's going to look like! Her "brother"? - I think it's a boy? - is looking just like his dad, his feathers are growing in the same as his dads did, cream with some faint grey barring. Both carmens babies look very much like she did as a chick, mostly black with some white spangled feathers on the chest. I wonder if they'll be little carbon copies of her? I don't see anything yet that makes me think any are boys (with the one it's just a hunch), and with their moms if I didn't know they were sexed at the hatchery I would have had my suspicions about both so I think I may be waiting out these ones a while.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 12-15-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #77
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Love the babies Liz! Awwwww! They are so stinkin cute!

I am having technical difficulty uploading pix, but will asap so you can see our newest arrival tonight!! Sorry, Sarah, it's another Silkie called Ariel, (dd named her!) our new splash silkie. We have a local facebook group where I made a match with someone and traded our black polish (possibly roo, so we have one black polish left think hen!). I wanted to sell to thin down our flock and get rid of a possible roo, but she suggested a too tempting to pass up trade!

Met her out at her place so we could have our pick she had several to choose from. She is in the country, unlike us city dwellers, she had an amazing assortment of chickens along with goats, horses and a pony and of course cats and dogs oh and birds and fish, lol.

She had two incubators going with some seramas hatching out today, but also in the bators were Marans, barred rocks, RIR, silkies and I can't even remember what else, lol. She raises gorgeous seramas, silkies and wanted polish, so she is starting with our one. This chicken mama was hard core into chickens, lol, she made me feel normal.

We had a hard time choosing, she had some really young silkies in the brooder, and some had been moved outdoors. We decided to go with the ones that were a bit older and had been acclimated. We thought we would put her with our 6 weekend in the coop soon, but tonight she is in with the 3 day old chicks. Turns out she is really thin, don't think she got to the feed bowl enough, she was one of the smaller ones in the coop, but we liked her. We are going to try and fatten her up before moving her to our outdoor pen, but in the meantime she is doing so good with the littles. We have a 3 day old silkie that is bossy bossy, she's called Sassy and she even picked on this big chicken! LOL

Now for the silkie count:

New splash silkie unsure exact age, but 4-5 weeks
6 week old buff
3 day old 2 white/2 black (these are the cutest quietest chicks I have ever seen!)

We still have a buff lace polish, black polish, buff seabright, black frizzles, mille fleur d'uccles and big mama Cochin all 6 weeks and all doing well, they ate on a pumpkin today leftover from Halloween that we never carved. They LOVED it and were fun to watch and photograph. Some little flying insects had hatched out of some leaves and dd was scooping them up and giving them to the chicks, they tried to eat them before they flew away, she felt slightly guilty feeding them this, but knew they would enjoy the snack.

I am enjoying trading and really liked seeing her set up. She told me she will take any polish I suspect are Roos, and we have two left, so we may get another silky down the road and she said if this one we got from her is roo, she will let me trade back. YAY! I love meeting good chicken people!

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 12-15-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #78
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Here's my bitty babies, 2 weeks and 2 days old now. Still have only named Sophia, I suppose we ought to call them something other than "lacy's baby" or "carmen's baby" LOL. I just hate to name them when I don't want to keep all of them. Sophia is growing in buff colored feathers on her legs and chest, I'm dying to know what she's going to look like! Her "brother"? - I think it's a boy? - is looking just like his dad, his feathers are growing in the same as his dads did, cream with some faint grey barring. Both carmens babies look very much like she did as a chick, mostly black with some white spangled feathers on the chest. I wonder if they'll be little carbon copies of her? I don't see anything yet that makes me think any are boys (with the one it's just a hunch), and with their moms if I didn't know they were sexed at the hatchery I would have had my suspicions about both so I think I may be waiting out these ones a while.

Oh hun, they are just precious!!!!!! Look at those lovlies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
Love the babies Liz! Awwwww! They are so stinkin cute!

I am having technical difficulty uploading pix, but will asap so you can see our newest arrival tonight!! Sorry, Sarah, it's another Silkie called Ariel, (dd named her!) our new splash silkie. We have a local facebook group where I made a match with someone and traded our black polish (possibly roo, so we have one black polish left think hen!). I wanted to sell to thin down our flock and get rid of a possible roo, but she suggested a too tempting to pass up trade!

Met her out at her place so we could have our pick she had several to choose from. She is in the country, unlike us city dwellers, she had an amazing assortment of chickens along with goats, horses and a pony and of course cats and dogs oh and birds and fish, lol.

She had two incubators going with some seramas hatching out today, but also in the bators were Marans, barred rocks, RIR, silkies and I can't even remember what else, lol. She raises gorgeous seramas, silkies and wanted polish, so she is starting with our one. This chicken mama was hard core into chickens, lol, she made me feel normal.

We had a hard time choosing, she had some really young silkies in the brooder, and some had been moved outdoors. We decided to go with the ones that were a bit older and had been acclimated. We thought we would put her with our 6 weekend in the coop soon, but tonight she is in with the 3 day old chicks. Turns out she is really thin, don't think she got to the feed bowl enough, she was one of the smaller ones in the coop, but we liked her. We are going to try and fatten her up before moving her to our outdoor pen, but in the meantime she is doing so good with the littles. We have a 3 day old silkie that is bossy bossy, she's called Sassy and she even picked on this big chicken! LOL

Now for the silkie count:

New splash silkie unsure exact age, but 4-5 weeks
6 week old buff
3 day old 2 white/2 black (these are the cutest quietest chicks I have ever seen!)

We still have a buff lace polish, black polish, buff seabright, black frizzles, mille fleur d'uccles and big mama Cochin all 6 weeks and all doing well, they ate on a pumpkin today leftover from Halloween that we never carved. They LOVED it and were fun to watch and photograph. Some little flying insects had hatched out of some leaves and dd was scooping them up and giving them to the chicks, they tried to eat them before they flew away, she felt slightly guilty feeding them this, but knew they would enjoy the snack.

I am enjoying trading and really liked seeing her set up. She told me she will take any polish I suspect are Roos, and we have two left, so we may get another silky down the road and she said if this one we got from her is roo, she will let me trade back. YAY! I love meeting good chicken people!
Just wow girl!!!! Congrats on a great meet! What a score. Possible friendship too. I wanna see those babies now!!!!

So, I found 2 ladies wanting to trade! One for 4T boys cloths and one diapering stuff.

One Lady has exotics too. This is what she will have in spring for me if all goes well:
Silver Appleyard ducks
Cream Legbars Still young, won't be laying until February or March.
Norwegian Jaerhons Still young, won't be laying until February or March.
I also have black, blue, and splash Silkies

And this is what the lady I will be HOPE HOPE tading with this week has:
I have Ameraucanas & marans laying right now I have black/blue copper, and lavender Ameraucanas. (One black hen run with the lavs)
She's gonna trade a friend some for some silkie eggs for me.
And will be getting Welsummers in the future.

IMG]

[IMG]

I have that big run we don't really use and I'd like to put one breed in there. Just a cpl hens and a roo. I just need to add a small coop and fix it up. I'll also have ro reclaim the roofing sheets Ray borrowed. That's a while off though, lol.

I MAY get a cpl of the breeds I wanted afterall!

I spent much of the day with the girls, and Solomon. I can't believe how well they are getting along!

I have a side project too. Katy gave me the idea that reminded me I hadn't done a lotto in way too long. I don't have anything to give, so I thought eggs! Well, more momas are interested than I thought! I have to pick a winner soon. Wish I could pick them all.

Anyone elese wanna pick a winner to send ffs eggs to? They are all interested in back yard mixes.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #79
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi all,

Popping in to say hello, busy busy here. Had sick kids I was sick, still recovering...

Love the baby pics Liz.

Congrats on finding someone to trade with Michelle! Lucky!

Sarah love all the pics! I would use Random.org to pick a winner

I have to clean out the coop today, ugh....I don't wanna. We have a leak in the roof, right above the food bin....yay. All the food in the coop was soaking wet, I had to dump it on a tray so they could get to it, then clean and try the food thingy. Glad they like wet food. It's a good thing I'm not squimish, I can't believe the mess the chickens have made of the coop, rediculous....they are like messy teenagers.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #80
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Wow, a lot of egg/chick trading going on how fun! I want to see pics! I bit the bullet and named the girls this am, Sophia and her sibling is Lena (girl name for now) and carmen's babies are maria and tessa. I'm not telling the boys what I named them it's just so I can differentiate between them myself. Need to order those leg bands! If someone reveals themselves as a boy they won't get a name at all because I really want to try to suck it up and go to the next level, be responsible and cull them for a meal for us. It's going to be hard I won't lie. Sarah that's sweet of you to offer up eggs. I think if you're going to send 6 you might as well send 12 with the size box you'll need and hope for the best. I think hatching eggs is about 60% success and with the liklihood half are male well.. maybe 4 good layers is what you could reasonably expect to wind up with. I'll be honest, the people that absolutely don't know anything about chickens let alone hatching makes me a little nervous.

Ugh, Fodie I hear ya on the messy teenagers, My coop is a mess with all the rain. I really need to hose it out and scrub. I also had one feeder that caught a drip and got the tray all mushy. I just dumped it out and they ate it all up. Between bad weather and everything being damp the roosts are gross and the straw in the run is muddy and I am getting 1-2 dirty eggs a day. Need to get my girls clean! I'm thinking of washing up some chicken feetsies too! LOL Gotta make a run to the feed store today for some food and bedding. I have one person, my former daycare lady's daughter (who is my age) that has been buying eggs from me regularly. Her family is similar to mine, she has four kids almost the same ages and she goes thru as many eggs as us. She's been buying 4 doz from me at a time! It's nice, a little hard to keep up with when the girls are being stingy with the egg production but the little bit I make on that supplements their feed bill.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 12-16-2012 at 10:33 AM.