Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #81
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~~December~~ Chicken Moma Chat Thread. :) Come chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Hi all,

Popping in to say hello, busy busy here. Had sick kids I was sick, still recovering...

Love the baby pics Liz.

Congrats on finding someone to trade with Michelle! Lucky!

Sarah love all the pics! I would use Random.org to pick a winner

I have to clean out the coop today, ugh....I don't wanna. We have a leak in the roof, right above the food bin....yay. All the food in the coop was soaking wet, I had to dump it on a tray so they could get to it, then clean and try the food thingy. Glad they like wet food. It's a good thing I'm not squimish, I can't believe the mess the chickens have made of the coop, rediculous....they are like messy teenagers.
Sorry everyone has been sick. Hope you are all better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Wow, a lot of egg/chick trading going on how fun! I want to see pics! I bit the bullet and named the girls this am, Sophia and her sibling is Lena (girl name for now) and carmen's babies are maria and tessa. I'm not telling the boys what I named them it's just so I can differentiate between them myself. Need to order those leg bands! If someone reveals themselves as a boy they won't get a name at all because I really want to try to suck it up and go to the next level, be responsible and cull them for a meal for us. It's going to be hard I won't lie. Sarah that's sweet of you to offer up eggs. I think if you're going to send 6 you might as well send 12 with the size box you'll need and hope for the best. I think hatching eggs is about 60% success and with the liklihood half are male well.. maybe 4 good layers is what you could reasonably expect to wind up with. I'll be honest, the people that absolutely don't know anything about chickens let alone hatching makes me a little nervous.
Most of the Momas have chickens or know chickens. There are a cpl newbys. I don't mind helping them through the start up process. It's a learning curve for everyone. Tons of reading and links galore.
Ugh, Fodie I hear ya on the messy teenagers, My coop is a mess with all the rain. I really need to hose it out and scrub. I also had one feeder that caught a drip and got the tray all mushy. I just dumped it out and they ate it all up. Between bad weather and everything being damp the roosts are gross and the straw in the run is muddy and I am getting 1-2 dirty eggs a day. Need to get my girls clean! I'm thinking of washing up some chicken feetsies too! LOL Gotta make a run to the feed store today for some food and bedding. I have one person, my former daycare lady's daughter (who is my age) that has been buying eggs from me regularly. Her family is similar to mine, she has four kids almost the same ages and she goes thru as many eggs as us. She's been buying 4 doz from me at a time! It's nice, a little hard to keep up with when the girls are being stingy with the egg production but the little bit I make on that supplements their feed bill.
Mine have been wallering in this muck too. I tell ya, as soon as it rain they go out to play. Regardless of the cold!

AFM_ It's been a weird day. Daisy May has gotten carried away with the whole think I'm a chicken deal. Er. She terrorises us if she doesn't get locked in the coop for the night. Now she hangs in the coop FAV nest box half the day. The girls are getting irritated and treating her like a chicken now. Poor Henny penny won't lay in any box but this particular one. Today she just got on Daisy May and was gonna just lay her egg on her. I had to get the darn cat out. I got some super pics!

Then, yesterday the chickens went into a panic like I have never seen before. Didn't know till today the reasion. The crows started going wild, then we saw them dive bombing a tree near the house. I got some great pics then too. The hawk is back and this thing has doubled in size. It's prob a diff one. Couldn't shoot the thing, too dangerious. She was after the chickies. hey were all free rangeing up there. The young ones are free ranging during the day now too. AH!

Oh the nest boxes, lololol!!! They were lined up today and all full, all day! With darn Daisy May, the normal layers, then the littles decided the best place to snuggle and dry off was the 3 corner nest boxes. I have 8! Only 4 were available for the poor hens. They kept popping in and out to see if a box was available, lol. And Tinker is a big girl now. She decided the best place to roost was on the boxes. I tossed her out 3 times.

I had the coop cleaned up, but with everything all wet, the littles decided the only place to dust bath was in the shavings. What a complete mess. You'd think the hens would have been irritated with all the wackyness goin on today, but they never pecked at a one of the littles. Go figure. I wonder if they accept these so well is because they all hang near the growout pen for a chance at chick feed. They kinda grew up with the little ones. This is just not one thing like bringing in the big girls or the new chicks I purchased.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #82
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I know, I'm just concerned that people get chickens because it sounds like a good idea but like a puppy, they didn't realize they were going to need so much work. I'm a bit cynical I guess.

Daisy may sounds hilarious, def. need pics of that! I'm so glad your chicks moved over easily. I'm hoping mine will too.

All that rain, I went and mucked out the chicken's run. They had about 8" of straw from the coop in the run and with the rain I was worried about mold and too much poo so I carted out 5 wheelbarrows full into my garden plot. The little sparrows are going to town on it. LOL! I took most of the straw out of the coop too. Fred doesn't seem to tolerate it well, he sneezes every time I go to turn it. Still want to hose everything out and scrub with soap on the roosts and stuff but that will have to wait until a later date, we have either more rain or snow judging by the shape and color of the clouds coming in tonight/tomorrow and possibly christmas eve. EEK! I sure hope we do get snow this time, my boys were so bummed that nothing happened the other day.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #83
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, I do understand what you mean.

My coop is bad too. It's the run. Any soil that's not packed like concrete becomes slush here. I sink ankle deep out there. The coop itself isn't too bad because I did it the day before yesterday. I'm not gonna keep them locked up. They seem to dry off well at night, ugh.

I'll post/upload those pics as soon as i get some time. Lordy it's crazy around here.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #84
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well it's been a terrible past 2 days, our Purered AKC German Shorthaired Pointer went missing, I am beside myself. I don't know where he possibly could be. Called the vet's office, shelter and the local police. I have his picture on FB, I hope someone finds my sweet boy and returns him.

Here he is:

I miss my baby boy so much!
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #85
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh Fodie!!! He is so beautifull!!!!! I'll pray for ya tonight hun. Look at those kind eyes!!!! How about the newspaper and do you have a pennysaver. We have a peddler-free paper. Lost pet ads are always free. We also have a site like craigs, only small and just local. It's awsome. I see pets returned home on there all the time. Do you have a site like that? Brainstorm!!! Do you have neighbors you could drive over to ask if they saw him? I'm so so sorry sweetie!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #86
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, pic overload.
I uploaded 56 just last night.
All of them here-> http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ens/?start=all
Look at the moulter. She wasn't that way yesterday. Looks like she may be a super fast moulter. Uh-oh. I also got a pic in there of the cute cochin pullet that I'm keeping. She's a real snuggler! And Bonny Blue getting so pretty. I put her back in the grow out pen with the littles. Patients is doing fine on her own. I was too worried sick about her being with the big girls. Oh, an a little blue chick was lonely. Her hatch mates were with her the next day.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #87
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

aww! <3 Which girl is moulting ? I don't see it. Your chickens are too fluffy!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #88
lookatreestar
Registered Users

i just lurk here, i am a wannabe urban farmer lol. hoping to get chickens in the spring. i love the kitty in the nesting boxes !!

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #89
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chime in anytime! Lear as much as ya can, ask questions, ect... Nice to have you!

Liz, it's the pic towards the bottom of Not Elly May. Yes, that's her name.

Oh Lordy the littles are drivin me bonkers! There is a chick in the coop I suspect is a roo because of the tail, but NO other signs. It's always under our feet with Patients. I check for eggs and they are jumping on my sholders to pur and snuggle. Cayden had to run from them all afternoon because they wanted to be held. Ah! The fattie little cochin pullet I like so much is almost as bad. They are all getting this way, worse every day. Sweet little buggers. It's gonna break my heart to process them. I have no choice though. I'm trying to give them as much love as I can while they are with us without becoming too attatched!

So this is what I have coming in the mail, well in the morn they will be on their way.
Here are your eggs:

Ameraucanas
Lav/Wheaten/BCms. FINALLY some copper Marans!!!

Welsummers coming soon.
I'm so excited!!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #90
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Lucky! You're not gonna want my piddly EE's with those gorgeous babies running round!