Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
ktgrok
Registered Users
seller

did I use too much lanolin?

How much should you use? I was lanolizing a wrap cover and a new pair of sbish shorties. The Sbish site says 1 tablespoon, but that seemed like a LOT, so I used about 2 tsps. I put that and a bit of wool wash bar into a cup and microwaved it for 40 seconds, then stired and added to the big roasting pan I was using. I did seem to have some lanolin spots but they went away after rolling in a towel to squeeze out the water. There was a ring of lanolin around the edges of the roaster. Was that too much?

Advertisement

ktgrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: did I use too much lanolin?

I lanolize the H-E-double hockey sticks out of my woolies. That said a tablespoon seems like a lot. But it was the first time so its not like you were just boosting what you already have on there, you were getting things going. Just wait till it dries and if its too sticky for your taste give it a wash.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
I lanolize the H-E-double hockey sticks out of my woolies. That said a tablespoon seems like a lot. But it was the first time so its not like you were just boosting what you already have on there, you were getting things going. Just wait till it dries and if its too sticky for your taste give it a wash.

yeah that

I don't think too much lanolin is even possible.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by c&w's mama

yeah that

I don't think too much lanolin is even possible.
Agreed. If its not sticky imo its not enough. The stickiness will away and your los legs will be silky smooth lol
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Wapondi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought I'd over-lanolized once but the stickiness went away quickly and the longies were just super leak-proof. I wouldn't worry.
Wapondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
jills_mama
Registered Users

Sounds just fine! Wash it if it's too sticky. 1 tablespoon is a lot... might work for several covers at one time, with lots if soap!
jills_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #7
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow I guess I under lanolize. I use a pea size amount per load of woollies, which is usually 6 pairs at a time. I'll have to try using more
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
littlebeth
Registered Users

I'm with you.
I lanolized for the first time, 3 covers with ONE tsp (according to the Sheepish Grins jar I got from Sbish).
It seemed like way too much and never fully absorbed into the hot water. My veteran wool cloth diapering friend said she only uses a pea size amount. However now that I'm thinking of it, she did say her wool tends to leak, so maybe more lanolin is better!

My covers were extremely sticky (like slick after touching) but after a few days have calmed down quite nicely and are not leaking at all at night even with no doubler underneath, just a GMD prefold on my 19 mo boy. However, the wool is getting stinky like ammonia. So I don't know if this means I need more absorbency in the diaper. But at least the wool isn't leaking!
littlebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I did the same thing when I lano'd my Royal Buns cover. It is very sticky & I had a lano ring in the baby bathtub. It was pretty messy but works fine.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
Wow I guess I under lanolize. I use a pea size amount per load of woollies, which is usually 6 pairs at a time. I'll have to try using more
don't worry mamas! you don't need that much try 2 peas next time

just trying to say, no damage done- we like a lot of lanolin in our house. I've never had a leak (not true, my first longies when DS was a newbie-- compression leak on a super wetter in car seat, not enough lanolin-- perfect storm... never again, and not just because I don't use wool to go out anymore )
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote