Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Flat users - what do you do overnight?

Hey Mamas-
DD1 has developed a sudden and severe sensitivity to .... fleece, bamboo, hemp, microfiber, and sposies

The ONLY thing that works is cotton recieving blankets in covers with a sposie pull-ups at night. We are keeping the rash BARELY at bay this way.

I'd like to get rid of the sposie for nights because she does slightly better in the cotton but I don't know how to make my flat last all night on a heavy wetter.

So are there all cotton diapers that absorb well but don't hold detergents in layers? Or can I do something to my flats to make them hold up all night?

Ideas???

Advertisement

mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Flat users - what do you do overnight?

What about wrapping a sbish doubler (they are bamboo fleece I think) or something similar into a cotton "sock" (I think I'd make sleeves if you will out of blankets) and laying that into her flat.

ETA: I suggest a sbish doubler b/c they are super absorbant (IMO), but any other doubler that you have would work if you did this I think.
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd use preemie or NB PFs as doublers.
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
mandasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used to tri-fold a washcloth and fold it into the flat.
mandasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about some gmd workhorses with a doubler?
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use 2 GMD large unbleached flats, one folded like a prefold and the other padfolded, with a Thirsties hemp insert inbetween. Maybe you could do something like that and make sure the hemp is wrapped up. Or sometimes when I'm out of clean hemp I'll substitute a newborn prefold. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyltc
What about some gmd workhorses with a doubler?
This! The new GMD workhorses are 100 percent Unbleached organic cotton with an organic cotton doubler already sewn in. They are pretty darn absorbent for being all cotton and the organic cotton she's using is super soft. PLUS they are super affordable.She also sells 100 percent cotton doublers if you needed to add extra absorbency to them...come to think of it, you could just go on greenmountaindiapers.com and order her 100 percent cotton doubler to lay in the flats as well.

Also, if she's not sensitive to wool I'd do a wool soaker over top of whatever you decide
Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq

Last edited by ummsmiley; 05-27-2013 at 07:08 PM.
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is what we did for the flat challenge - a jo folded receiving blanket flat (or origami fold) with a doubler in the middle (sometimes a burp cloth, or a washcloth, etc), then I pad folded a birdseye cotton flat into the pul cover (MEAF are nice and roomy but still really breathable). Then, days I was worried about it, I would put a wool cover over the PUL cover.

We never had any leaks and in the end I didn't put the wool over it anymore. So lots of layers, but all unfolded in order to wash really easily. Her bum was HUGE, but it didn't matter
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
MamaEm2
Registered Users

At nighttime for my 11 month old, we use flats with a GMD medium size prefold folded up inside it like a liner, then cover it with a diaper cover that is sized up (as in, my daughter wears medium covers in the daytime and large size covers at night).

Also I recommend using Aveeno or Burt's Bees diaper rash cream every night as a "barrier" for your baby's skin. I have found that those brands work the best of anything I have tried. If you don't want the creams touching the diapers, you could use some of those disposable liners.
MamaEm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
MrsHappyGoLucky
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use flats with a bamboo or hemp doubler behind it. The flat is large enough to cover it so it doesn't irritate her. Bamboo doesn't do too bad, but she reacts horribly to hemp or synthetics. That combo does well for us, no leaks so far!

Could you use more energy, fewer health problems or take the guesswork out of nutrition? Try the all natural, whole food concentrate nutritional drink!
Ask me for a free sample! http://bjmitchell.zealforlife.com
MrsHappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote