Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

"I love living and minimalism is for people who don't know how to live."

Found this article on Apartment Therapy looking for inspirational pictures of minimalist homes and just wondered what other mama's thought about it. Seems kind of silly to me. I also thought most of the rooms in the pictures were pretty ugly, but that's just me.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/maximalism-repl-141748

Advertisement

crnchy_mama_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't really like any of the rooms either. Just not my style.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:
Re: "I love living and minimalism is for people who don't know how to live."

no i dont like them eather. who elese wanted to step into those rooms & start purging them? or was that just me?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
hezdwoody
Registered Users

I dont think the quote paints an accurate picture of minimalist. For me minimalisim is removing all the possessions/obligations you dont want in your life. What you are left with is the stuff that makes your life worth living.

The lack of material possessions does not equate to a disenchantment with life. Members of pre-industrialized societies would have had minimal possessions that doesnt take away from the richness of their culture, art, music, hobbies etc. One can love life just as much by getting out and enjoying nature, hiking, swimming etc as someone who spends most of their time shopping/decorating.

I love the bookshelves with colorful books in the picture. I use to dream of a library in my home. These days I fail to see any value in hanging onto books that wont ever get opened again but that doesnt negate my love of reading. I can immerse myself into a novel and when I am done pass it on so someone else can do the same. Sure my bookshelves may look minimal but it is likely I got as much enjoyment out of literature as someone with beautifully arranged shelves.

I really do love the color in the pictures. I use to try to minimize/decorate at the same time but I ended up with half finished/half decorated rooms that just looked a mess. My home looks a little too plain for me. I dont want more stuff but I wouldnt mind some more color. When I get down to the number of possessions I want to keep I will selectively add color.

Last edited by hezdwoody; 12-10-2012 at 11:33 PM.
hezdwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't care for any of the rooms either, there's too much going on. All I kept thinking while looking at those pictures is "There's no possible way this person has children". Those rooms would look awful if there was a little person constantly messing with stuff .
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Minimalism to me is not having the piles of junk that I'd have to move in order to take pics for a magazine It's not so much about the decor as much as the storage of stuff some of which may be disguised as decor. A library, sure, but when books are stacked in front of each other and lay on top of others shoved in every crevice, that's too much. My house needs more decor and less 'stuff'.
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just didn't like the color clashes. Why all does all the stuff have to not match? How does having lots of clashing patterns and designs make you a "Maximalist"? Heck I was a maximalist when I was younger.... I was poor and bought lots of junk that didn't match at thrift stores.... then I got a roommate. Our livingroom was so "maximalist"!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ew. I'm all for color and texture, but those are icky...
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

My grandfather had a hideous orange couch like that. Lol. And there is no way those people have kids - there's soft **** as the focal point on the wall! Ick.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:

Lol... Okay. The minimalism/maximalism referred to here has nothing to do with possessions. It is strictly design... which is all it ever was before it was coined as a term to describe a lifestyle. I love the design and the colors and everything. If you look at the rooms, there really isn't a lot of stuff. There are pictures on the walls, books to decorate, and flowers. Other than that, it is just rugs, furniture and pillows with lots of color. Max color and pattern and line= max crazy looking spaces. It looks cozy to me (for someone else's house.) I would get bored with it fast- which is the main reason I stick to a neutral background and bright "accessories". even though, let's be honest. I am a true minimalist in form and function and I don't have a lot of accessories.

I do love that orange couch though. We found one at World Market just like it and it took everything in me to not walk away with it. I just can't give up my black leather 12 year old couch that sees me through kid messes like such a champ.

Last edited by passthepickles; 12-11-2012 at 06:03 AM.
passthepickles is offline   Reply With Quote