Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
bama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ahhh! Birthday present overload!

TRU will give you trouble returning without a receipt. You would have better luck at Target, but they only let you do 3 I think, per year, per drivers license.

Advertisement

bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoraE
We do not have parties of that scale for the same reason. We just have my parents, the ILs and my sister, and BIL/SIL with baby. We STILL get too many gifts and it's just that small group! We did just pass along a laundry basket full of toys to BIL/SIL that our 2 year old has outgrown.
I tried to keep it small but both of our families are huge and close so it turns into an "if we invite them we have to invite her" kind of situation. We will probably just do us and the grandparents next year.

Also, it isn't just the number of presents, it's also the type of presents that drive me crazy. I have told most of the family that we prefer simple and/or wooden toys without characters on then or else clothes or books if they must buy something. Nobody seems to care though. We ended up with a flashy "learning" table that we have zero space for, a toy guitar that has no volume control and is quite loud, a noisy electronic drum, and an ugly "cars" chair to name a few. I sound so ungrateful, but really I do appreciate that they love my son, I just wish they could respect my wishes.
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama
TRU will give you trouble returning without a receipt. You would have better luck at Target, but they only let you do 3 I think, per year, per drivers license.
Yeah, after reading return policies I think I'm gonna do a few at Target and a few at Walmart. I hate Walmart, but I can just get store credit and get him a swing for outside and then be done with them.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
megkmc
Registered Users

And remember, at target you can return 3 and your husband can return 3. And if you have a friend, you can rope them into returning three too. I would be sure to do it soon, since it is 3 items per year and we are already in December.

But, it really will be harder in the future when they are old enough to know. AND old enough to blab to the person who gave it to them :/
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #15
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

We managed to do fine with DD's first birthday this year. Just a family gathering that kinda happened the day-of, so no time to plan. I was very happy that we didn't get much. Although I was not happy to get 6 or 7 stuffed animals from great-grandpa. He's the garage sale enthusiast, and the animals were all really tacky and looked like they belonged in a garage sale!

I would definitely return as much of it as possible, and then regift/donate the rest.

I didn't think I had a preference for toys, but it turns out I do. I've slowly purged toys and I don't think we have anything left that makes sound. Those things just drive me crazy! I was just marveling over our sit & spin toy. It's the ancient one I got at a garage sale that sits and spins. The new ones I've seen at TRU are covered in flashy lights and songs. Yuck!
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

Well, we took everything we didn't want back to Walmart and are planning on making a swingset purchase. We took it all back at once though and the lady at the register acted like we were doing something wrong the whole time. She did give us store credit, but just acted like she didn't trust us. I would be the worst criminal because I totally left feeling guilty even though I didn't do anything wrong. Lol!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

if they are something that Kohl's might carry...they are great with returns without receipts...at least mine is
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
court3189
Registered Users
seller

There's a momma on the Thrifty board facing challenges getting toys for xmas-she has a two year old, if any of the toys (and a 4 & 6 year old) are suitable for them I bet she'd really appreciate it!

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

I did think of her (I am going to send her a few girl toys that I have). However, all of these toys were very large (hard to ship) and most were too young for a 2 year old. Good idea though!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancemomma View Post
Well, we took everything we didn't want back to Walmart and are planning on making a swingset purchase. We took it all back at once though and the lady at the register acted like we were doing something wrong the whole time. She did give us store credit, but just acted like she didn't trust us. I would be the worst criminal because I totally left feeling guilty even though I didn't do anything wrong. Lol!
Cool! Glad you got it solved.
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote