Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

It is extremely unlikely....right?

I am 7 weeks post partum. I am exclusively breastfeeding the baby and have been the whole 7 weeks with no problems, BFing on demand. He does take a pacifier but only AFTER nursing.

With all three of my kids that I have BF, I have had spotting right around this time. WIth my second, the first I BF, I thought it was AF making appearance but now I am not so sure. WIth that one, we encountered nursing problems and AF did return fairly early, though very irratically until we were totally done BFing at 5 months. With DD3, I EBF until right around a year and didn't see AF return until around 10 or 11 months.

I don't believe my currently spotting is AF.

BUT...I have had some pretty serious EWCM the last 2 days. The spotting has been very very minimal and brown, but the EWCM is pretty copious.

It's very unlikely that I am ovulating at all, right? VERY unlikely, right? DH has his vasectomy scheduled for the 14th. But, we DTD less than a week ago. It was long enough ago that I know that this EWCM is not "leftovers." But, it was at the right time to be dangerous if I ma fertile.

I am nervous. Please reassure me that because I am ebf, it's very unlikely that my fertility has returned.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sorry, but my OB told me that ovulation/fertility can fire right back up postpartum, even when EBF. I would keep your fingers crossed and use condoms until after your DH's procedure. You're probably fine but I wouldn't risk it.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97
Sorry, but my OB told me that ovulation/fertility can fire right back up postpartum, even when EBF. I would keep your fingers crossed and use condoms until after your DH's procedure. You're probably fine but I wouldn't risk it.
Agree. I have read that the first few cycles after a baby, when AF returns this close to birth, can be anovulatory. You can always cross your fingers?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: It is extremely unlikely....right?

I would say it's unlikely. I got some weird fluid stuff going on while breastfeeding that had nothing to do with ovulation but had me freaked out. I nursed all my kids on demand around the clock and never got my period back until around the year mark. It's always a possibility but I wouldn't fret to hard about it. The body does some crazy things that I just don't understand. I was really paranoid about getting pregnant until AF came back and I had a starting point to at least go by. The unknown is so scary. I think your fine but hey if your stressed take a test in a few weeks and have your hubby wear a condom until his big V.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would have thought so too, but this last time I got my cycle back one month PP. I was in denial till the third month rolled around. Baby was EBF and cosleeping, no bottles and limited paci. First baby I had to pump and supplement the first few months, and AF didn't come back till he was nine months (was also working and pumping from three months on). Fertility seems like a crapshoot now!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's very unlikely. I started to get worried about 3 months pp because there seemed to be some signs of fertility, but now I'm 8 months pp and no AF yet. Nothing is impossible as far as fertility goes...but I would think that it's very rare to get pregnant that soon while EBFing.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I say it is very possible. I know lots of mamas who ebf that got ppaf back at 6 weeks.

I also got pregnant with my second dd 8 weeks after my first was born and with no return af. So if you dont want another baby quickly you should be careful.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My neighbor has kids that are 10.5 months apart. She's ebf with all of her kids too. Based on that I'd say it is possible.

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

*sigh*

Ok, so EWCM is gone. Which makes me more nervous, that's totally how it would work I was fertile. I guess I am taking a test just before he gets snipped. Well, actually, I am nervous enough that I will probably just take one this coming weekend and then again periodically through next week.

If I got pregnant, it wouldn't be the complete end of the world. We would be upset, I don't want to be pregnant again, but if it happened it happened.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
*sigh*

Ok, so EWCM is gone. Which makes me more nervous, that's totally how it would work I was fertile. I guess I am taking a test just before he gets snipped. Well, actually, I am nervous enough that I will probably just take one this coming weekend and then again periodically through next week.

If I got pregnant, it wouldn't be the complete end of the world. We would be upset, I don't want to be pregnant again, but if it happened it happened.
((hugs)) I would probably be nervous too cuz I'm paranoid! Update us when you test.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote