Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

How many blocks do they really need?

Rhetorical question LOL. We have a 100+ piece set of classic Mega Bloks plus a huge fire truck, plus 2 Dora Mega Bloks sets, plus 2 sets of Lego Duplos, plus 1 small box of tiny barbie legos (it's a specific set to make an ice cream shop). My 7 y/o dd loves to build (as does my 2 y/o dd). But this is getting out of hand! And I sort of got dd another lego set for Christmas BAHAHA. Ok, but to be fair, the new set is the smaller legos, not the duplos, and now that she is liking the small legos. I also got her a lego organizer to go with them. SOOOOO that means I have to downsize all these other blocks! My 2 y/o still needs the bigger ones, so I thought of keeping one set of duplos and 1 set of the dora mega bloks. I already took the other set of Dora mega blocks to my classroom and will take one set of duplos to my classroom. And I am going to sell the 100+ lot of Mega Bloks with the fire truck because that is a big space taker-upper. I'm afraid of getting rid of too many because my 7 y/o especially will build big cities and will use different types. But, this way, my class can enjoy them and she can too after school while I have meetings/etc.

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many blocks do they really need?

My kids are a lot younger, but here's what we have done with blocks.

I have this in my son's play area:
http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3-...68240#prodSlot

I use it for his blocks, and each drawer is dedicated to a different type of block. We have wooden blocks in the top drawer, and the middle drawer has those weird "sticky" blocks that stick together.

His Megabloks are in the bottom drawer. I donated the "overflow" to Goodwill, because I figure that's enough for him and by the time he's really building crazy structures he'll be ready for regular Legos.

I figure we'll handle Legos differently, if he's into them. For now he's too young, and we have a baby in the house so it will be a little while before those are allowed in the house.

We have large cardboard blocks that I keep in a big bin in his bedroom. I got rid of the excess cardboard blocks as well. Any that didn't fit in the bin were donated.

I just stick to bins rather than an actual number. I like the open-ended play of blocks, so I don't mind if we have a decent amount of them, as long as we're still able to keep them easily organized. Having a size limit helps keep them from getting out of control, and the bins keep things organized. My son's only 2 but he still knows where everything goes.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

that's a great idea! I use those bins for other things, just never thought of them for blocks/legos. Great thinking!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

We just got rid of our mega blocks and now only have a large bin of assorted wooden ones. My daughter was reaching for them all the time instead. We have assorted shapes and a set of jenga blocks right now, and at christmas my ds,2, is getting a set of wooden blocks with abcs. I wouldnt mind a set of duplos or even little legos but for now they are happy and Im not in any rush.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We store our Legos in a large tub. Think one of those 36 gallon storage totes. We believe you can never have too many. lol Okay, not really. If the kids didn't play with them, we wouldn't have so many.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
We store our Legos in a large tub. Think one of those 36 gallon storage totes. We believe you can never have too many. lol Okay, not really. If the kids didn't play with them, we wouldn't have so many.
Lol maybe that's what I need to do just throw them all into one huge tub!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Oh this is a toughy! We finally purged enough to have an empty toy box so it now holds all the legos (the huge ones) but they RARELYget played with. I dont want them because they are huge but they are a great open ended play! Dd plays with them sometimes and ds is only 10 mths....i hate to get rid of them of he would love them.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

ummmmmm....when i get to the magic number ill let u know.
we have them all sizes here since my kids r all diff ages. for the boys room i keep them in one bin. for my oldest sons room. he has the really tiny ones that are not allowed around the house. he keeps them in the lego bins they came in. for my daughters legos. yes, she has them too. hers cam in a reusable cloth bag. so we keep them in there down stairs. they boys do have some in living room play space too. i just throw them into the same bin all the other toys r in. its not a very big bin. one of those small folding fabric bins. it helps me keep the toys from getting overwelming in the play aera of the living room.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

We've got a reasonable amount of various types. We have a 1-gallon bin that has Duplos, and another 3-gallon bin with large wooden blocks. They have a small set of ABC blocks, and another set of 15 large square garanimal blocks. Neither of those last two sets are very large. We just purchased a set of Tegu, which are actually quite small, will probably fit in a 1-gallon bin. I'm limiting it to that. Until DD1 gets old enough for small lego pieces, the only blocks that will enter this house will be add-on sets to the 5 kinds we have now. Oh, we have a large bin of train track too. I kinda consider that along the same line of open-ended building. At some point I plan on buying a craigslist coffee table and turning it into a train/block table of sorts.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

We love blocks!!

I think we have 300 Duplo's, and we have 2 sets of the large wooden unit blocks. I will not part with any of them! We also have legos for my oldest, and they are in their own small bucket.

Blocks are awesome!

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote