Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #521
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: KAL ~ Christmas Crafts: Dec 2-8

about the truck... we have an engine block heater but we think it's bad, which is pretty much the source of the problem and it DOES work so testing it doesnt give us accurate results, but it doesn't work FULLY or something, I really don't know. Thing is, we didnt know how "bad" it was until things like this happen. Also, we have 2 great batteries BUT when it's this cold AND because the truck is so big, it really takes both batteries at 100% to crank it and so we cant just keep cranking on it or there isnt enough battery power to start it even if it could start and then we start the cycle of, it's warm enough to start it but the batteries cant start it and by the time the batteries start it, it's too cold again. It's BS. The truck is amazing, I love it, and I'd not trade it for a gas (because it's more fuel efficient) BUT times like this suck. If we had a garage it would be moot, but we don't.

About the remote start, no, it HAD a remote start and they only partially uninstalled it before we bought it. Then, a couple years ago (right after I brought G home from the hospital) the truck just would not start. Not frozen or anything just refused to start and it turned out the remote start had messed up the wiring or something. Cost us $600 to get the dealership to properly uninstall and return it to working order. We had to take it to the dealership because the "other guys" were satisfied with just clipping the wires and removing the remote start module and cold soldering the wires back together in the first place. It just isnt really an option to reinstall on this truck again.

The plan is to get it started, change fuel additives and set an alarm for every 2 hours when it's 10 and colder until we can get the engine block heater (and possibly an oil pan heater) replaced (installed?) and hope that fixes it.

Frankly it makes me feel like a rookie Alaskan and it's embarrassing. Whatever, though, First World problems, eh?

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #522
danigrace05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoStitches
about the truck... we have an engine block heater but we think it's bad, which is pretty much the source of the problem and it DOES work so testing it doesnt give us accurate results, but it doesn't work FULLY or something, I really don't know. Thing is, we didnt know how "bad" it was until things like this happen. Also, we have 2 great batteries BUT when it's this cold AND because the truck is so big, it really takes both batteries at 100% to crank it and so we cant just keep cranking on it or there isnt enough battery power to start it even if it could start and then we start the cycle of, it's warm enough to start it but the batteries cant start it and by the time the batteries start it, it's too cold again. It's BS. The truck is amazing, I love it, and I'd not trade it for a gas (because it's more fuel efficient) BUT times like this suck. If we had a garage it would be moot, but we don't.

About the remote start, no, it HAD a remote start and they only partially uninstalled it before we bought it. Then, a couple years ago (right after I brought G home from the hospital) the truck just would not start. Not frozen or anything just refused to start and it turned out the remote start had messed up the wiring or something. Cost us $600 to get the dealership to properly uninstall and return it to working order. We had to take it to the dealership because the "other guys" were satisfied with just clipping the wires and removing the remote start module and cold soldering the wires back together in the first place. It just isnt really an option to reinstall on this truck again.

The plan is to get it started, change fuel additives and set an alarm for every 2 hours when it's 10 and colder until we can get the engine block heater (and possibly an oil pan heater) replaced (installed?) and hope that fixes it.

Frankly it makes me feel like a rookie Alaskan and it's embarrassing. Whatever, though, First World problems, eh?
That's right my friend, first world problems and they can all suck off.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #523
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks gals.

Dani it's kp swish

It's 2.5" to the edge of his shirt. So 3" need to be added on 1.5" for both the sweater and then the hem.

Now to hope I have enough. Otherwise an order into kp. And wait 10 days to get it

***I can spell...my iPod on the other hand can not***
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #524
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Got the beast started. Now gotta let it run for a bit before we can leave.

my iPhone is a trixie little hobbit that never really says what I mean!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #525
danigrace05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Progress!

Attachment 126769

Last edited by danigrace05; 12-11-2012 at 09:59 PM.
danigrace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #526
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoStitches View Post
oh, so, JINX!
Great minds!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #527
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

:wave2:

Pretty sure I felt kiddo moving around and there isn't any bleeding still so no ER visit. We are going to order a pizza and just relax this evening though. I was going to spend some time sewing and sorting fibers for this gradient order, but that will wait for tomorrow.

Good to hear Avery seems to be mending!

Erica - love the sweater, I think you got good advice. FX you have enough yarn!!

Fi - Hope you get your "first world problem" sorted out soon. IDK that I consider transportation a first world problem but maybe I am just too pampered.

Dani - the sweater looks great so far!

I will try to share some more pics tomorrow to not be a party pooper.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #528
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaethach
:wave2:

Pretty sure I felt kiddo moving around and there isn't any bleeding still so no ER visit. We are going to order a pizza and just relax this evening though. I was going to spend some time sewing and sorting fibers for this gradient order, but that will wait for tomorrow.

Good to hear Avery seems to be mending!

Erica - love the sweater, I think you got good advice. FX you have enough yarn!!

Fi - Hope you get your "first world problem" sorted out soon. IDK that I consider transportation a first world problem but maybe I am just too pampered.

Dani - the sweater looks great so far!

I will try to share some more pics tomorrow to not be a party pooper.
Well I am not carrying water buckets on my head so I would say I am pretty spoiled to have such a nice vehicle TO give me problems, yk? Trying to maintain perspective.

I am glad you are feeling a little better and at the very least not worse.

My sister was whining about nearly frostbiting her toes this morning while she was volunteering at drop off at -20 on her side of town. I said, wow sounds like someone needs wool socks, too bad you don't know anyone who knits! And she FINALLY agreed to let me make her something. Before now it's always been "it's too itchy, too bulky, can't wear hats, don't do scarfs, too hot, not warm enough..." Excuses and I'm like whatever. NOW she needs some. Huh. If it is what is necessary to get her into hand knits I will make her some awesome socks.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #529
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoStitches View Post
Well I am not carrying water buckets on my head so I would say I am pretty spoiled to have such a nice vehicle TO give me problems, yk? Trying to maintain perspective.

I am glad you are feeling a little better and at the very least not worse.

My sister was whining about nearly frostbiting her toes this morning while she was volunteering at drop off at -20 on her side of town. I said, wow sounds like someone needs wool socks, too bad you don't know anyone who knits! And she FINALLY agreed to let me make her something. Before now it's always been "it's too itchy, too bulky, can't wear hats, don't do scarfs, too hot, not warm enough..." Excuses and I'm like whatever. NOW she needs some. Huh. If it is what is necessary to get her into hand knits I will make her some awesome socks.

Seriously I'm swearing by this SW BFL handspun. It has the fuzzy aura on it but holy crap it's warmer than my sis's sport weight socks.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #530
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaethach

Seriously I'm swearing by this SW BFL handspun. It has the fuzzy aura on it but holy crap it's warmer than my sis's sport weight socks.
I am just going to use reg wota because I don't have any sw non lux fabric (and I don't love her enough to make her pashmina or mcn socks!) that is thick enough to make boot socks. She really wants them for warmth so that's what I am giving her. I gotta pick colors at some point. If she gets them for New Years she will get over it. Even tho we grew up in the same house, she things handmade is subpar.