Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think christmas is going to give me an anxiety attack

That is all.

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: I think christmas is going to give me an anxiety attack

Tackle it differently next year, then, if you can.

This year we told everyone to limit things to one gift. This really didn't affect anyone other than my parents, honestly, but it did help. Luckily, my parents are understanding. We also limited what we bought. As we don't really buy anything for the kids except at Christmas and birthdays, I have to admit that was a little challenging. I kept finding things I knew they'd like. In the end, though, I think it was worth it. We ended up buying them each a stocking stuffer and one tree gift. In addition to that, we bought 3 games for the family (2 board and one video).

So, if possible, try something like that next year. Now, if you have family that won't stick to that, come up with a game plan ahead of time and stick to it. Not easy, I know, but worth it. I have had to do that with my mom and my FIL before.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought that we did good this year but after I saw it all under the tree I realized we didn't lol she got tons. At least I purged a lot before and I may purge some more now!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did much better than last year, but they still got a bunch! We did a good pre-Christmas purge and I plan to spend the week going to by room making sure everything is organized and anything else that can be purged gets donated.

The kids got new bikes and scooters, so the old ride on toys and bikes are being donate - today! DH is taking a load of stuff to the Airman's Attic (kinda like goodwill) in a few minutes.

PPs had good tips, I would also add that if there are things you/your children received that won't be missed feel free to donate it.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I feel we did ok, but they still got a good amount. We do "something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read.

DD (2.5) got
want: a little vibrating bug
need:jammies
wear: hairbows
read: a book (duh haha)

DS (11 mths) got
want: a little ball that makes silly sounds
need: foogoo sippy
wear: socks
read: small board book

They each got stockings full of consumables (bubble bath, shampoo, bath fizz, candy)

But then I made them both a rag quilt and DH built dd a doll house and we stocked it with furniture and a family. So we still gave more than our plan, but I feel it was not bad at all. Next yr we will make sure to not go past our plan...the 4 things and that is IT! Family gave them more though. MIL was good and gave them 2 outfits plus a tshirt each and then she messed it up and go t them a huge playhut (which they love but it fills the entire living room when it isn't folded up!

Last edited by solarbabies; 12-25-2012 at 05:41 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Cortney
Registered Users
seller

I always get anxiety at Christmas. Luckily I have a mom that will listen to what we need/want. This year the kids got less physical things than ever- we also got a large family gift card to great wolf lodge.

I purge like crazy before Christmas, ask for things we need/want, ask for pretty things that don't look cluttered, am not afraid to give things away/sell them later.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't do too bad thanks to a massive pre-christmas purge and not a lot of money to spend. I am purging again today so it's not too bad. I am a bit over all the small pieces today, ds is at the age for a lot of Lego and Meccano and things with small bits.
Next year we are going to try and buy fewer small things and go for a bigger joint gifts outside like a new swing/playset or trampoline.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Mid purge over here. Only had a small pile to get rid of though. Once they get the grandparents' gifts, I might have to be more aggressive with it. The in-laws did day they got the boys tablets, so I'm hoping that means minimal toys.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It wasn't really that bad...I just hate clutter, and everything was up in my living room and not the playroom...I will feel much better tomorrow when it is all in the playroom where it belongs!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

My mom always says she gives each grandchild three gifts (book, toy, outfit) but it somehow always ends up being 5-6 each. Grrrr, we came home tonite with so much crap. Seriously, in past years she has given them personalized duffel bags, suitcases, and backpacks, and this year was personalized drawstring backpacks. What will my children do with THAT many bags for packing stuff? We rarely travel, and they are PERSONALIZED so I can't even give them to Goodwill?

In my ideal world, each child would have one nice generic bookbag that could be used as a duffel bag for sleepovers and such, or as a swim bag in summer, or as a book bag when we go to the library, or as a carryon when traveling, or whatever. Not separate bags for every occasion cluttering up our closets
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote