Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
I would! In fact, we now have plans to build a 12x24 house with 2 sleeping lofts. We have 2 kids. Our main floor will be 288 sq ft and include the bathroom kitchen dining and living. It may be our forever home, we might add a master suite someday, we might build a whole new house. The possabilities are endless! I can't wait....it is all i think about these days. We hope to break ground this weekend!!!

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd do it in a heart beat too. What I wouldn't give to live in a tiny house. My husband on the other hand would never go for it. He's not the one who cleans our 2,300 sf monster though.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moving into a REALLY small house...Good Idea or Bad??

I'd do it if temporary . How much land is it? That would factor in too and if I got a really good deal for it too

Eta: I reread and see you say 5 acres- shoot yeah I'd go for it . This would be a dream come true for me too

Last edited by erin_c_odonnell; 12-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
erin_c_odonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
branichar
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you SO much everyone!! You guys really helped me. We have talked to our realtor and are getting the ball rolling! I am SO beyond excited. I know it is not for everyone, but I really think it will work out great for us. I read all of your replies to my husband. Just really hoping it all works out now!!
branichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
k_21
Registered Users

I would do it. DH and I lived in less than 400 sq ft when we first married. At first I thought I'd go crazy, but in the end I loved it and now want to always live in smaller spaces. It made us only keep things that were really important and it kept us from buying things we really didn't need. I learned to be creative with organization (wish I would have had Pinterest then!). We have around 600 sq ft now with our baby, and it feels too big after living in our first place.

If nothing else, it's temporary, it's good financially, and will probably benefit your family in the long run. I'd definitely do it.
k_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What area of the country is it in, because if it is MI where I am and we would be sort of trapped inside for 6+mo I would say no way, but if you can comfortably be outside for the better part of the year I might consider it.

We just did something similar and I just about died, no joke, I think I have PTSD from it, this Last May we moved from our home that we built to an RV and lived there for 3mo, it felt like 3 years. But we did move into out home and I love it and appreciate it all the more! I am just so glad we don't have to do it again.

So if you do do this, I would plan plan plan and organize and then do that some more. Make that little space the most efficient little space ever!!!!! Or else you may just lose your mind. I completely underestimated how emotionally hard it would be to have everything in our lives uprooted, no real time frame of when to get out and how many things can go wrong while "building" I was a big ball of stress and I just never felt like I could unwind. Sorry, If I had never done it, I would have said, sure go for it, you can do anything temporarily, sorry I can't lie to you now

I hope it all works out for you, PS we have 3 boys 1, 3, and 6.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would if it was for a short while.

Your plan sounds good except I would give the kids the bedroom so they can go to bed earlier and you and DH still have a place to be after they go to bed.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
I would if it was for a short while.

Your plan sounds good except I would give the kids the bedroom so they can go to bed earlier and you and DH still have a place to be after they go to bed.
I would definitely do it! Either share the bedroom or give it to the kids, too. We spend a large majority of our time in the living room, 12x16, and it's just fine. But having a place for one kid to go have quiet and personal space when they need it, without making everyone else leave the main living space, is important in our house.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

I would totally do it. I don't feel like I need much space and half the time my three kids seem to end up in our room anyway. If there's outlets to get away like you say, I don't think it'd be too bad. Sounds like there would be lots of outdoor space to run around and play in, too.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
Aileen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We live in a 926 sq. ft. house with 9 people, so yes, def. doable- especially when temporary. We actually fit pretty well here and it is easy to clean.
Happily married to my childhood sweetheart Jason & mama to dd-24 , ds-23, ds-21, dd-19, dd-17, ds-15 ds-13, my eager little helper dd-11 , ds-8 , ds-6 and our newest little sweetheart by an unexpected but amazing adoption- ds- 9months.
Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote