Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

Sized or one size?

I have a friend who is due about a month before me and she is interested in cloth diapering, however the baby's dad is not too sure about it. He feels that disposable diapers are going to be better and cheaper, we have tried to tell him otherwise but he does not get it. Anyways to my question, I am thinking about making her some diapers for her baby shower (which my mother's help because she is better at sewing than I am). I am just not sure if I should go with sized diapers or if I should go with the one size ones so that they can grow with the baby. Of course I could always make a few in each size and see how it goes. She said that she is planning on waiting until they are in a little bit better of a position to buy cloth diapers before starting it up. But with my experience that will never happen with buying disposables, we just took the plunge when we decided to switch. I do not want to make it look like I am pushing cloth diapering on them, but I also feel like if they are given to them then there is a better chance that they might try them than if she has to convince the baby's dad to buy some. That way they can try out a style and see what they think. My other thing is what style should I do. I am making hybrids for my son, but I will not be able to try them out until after her son is born. I am currently using one size pockets for my oldest and I love them but I do not see how they will fit well on a newborn, the look like they will be too bulky. Suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. There are a few other things that I am giving her as well. Based off of what I found that I needed and what I did not get when I had my first child. Thanks!

Advertisement

cuddlebunny_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sized or one size?

If you're making them, I think sized is the way to go! They are not as complicated to use as an OS diaper (now, OS isn't that complicated, but if the dad is on the fence then I think "KISS" applies ).

I also think fitteds + cover will do best as containing messes. If not fitteds + cover, then AiO so they will be more like sposies.

boysniris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

Thanks! I have a pattern book that has pretty much every style diaper in it of course I can make covers with the same pattern too but without the liners. I have not used anything but AIO but we started cloth diapering at a year and 6 months, so they fit our son very well.
cuddlebunny_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
mmarshall
Registered Users
seller

I used sized newborn ones and then went to one sizes. I did like the smaller sized ones for newborn to 3 months or so. then it was one size from then on.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I've done a few diapering surveys as part of a class project on the cloth diapering industry ... In general, the people who buy OS diapers have to re-stash just as many times as people who use sized diapers, because the OS aren't truly OS.

Only about 17% are able to just use a one-size. More typical is a newborn, then a middle size, then training pants.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

Yea I agree about sized for NB. I found a great free pattern for a NB-S fitted that I'm going to use for our stash. If your interested I could share it. It shouodnt be too complicated for them to use. It's basically a snap down for the cord plus the lower row of snaps. Then unsnap the rise and use an upper snap row for S. Fitteds and covers would probably be the best coverage and easiest transition from sposies with minimal laundry fuss
BWing, BFing , CDing, and finally preggo with Miles, baby #2!! [/SIZE]

cassmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

I don't personally care for one sized diapers, but as you do this is what I would recommend.

3 nb fitteds
1 nb cover
2 nb pockets
2-3 OS pockets, like what you use.

or whatever version of that is in your budget. That will give them a good trial, and any money they save makes it easier to buy more cloth instead of disposables.
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

When I make diapers for a baby shower, I give 2 size small fitteds, a cover, a small wet bag, half a dozen wipes, and a pair of upcycled wool longies in size small. I always include a not saying "if you love them, I'm happy to help make more in the next size!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
OctBaby
Registered Users
seller

I'm going to go a little against the grain...
If this is her first baby, there is a chance that she will get enough newborn disposables to last her through that stage, so between that and learning how to be a new mom, I'm not so sure I'd give her NB cloth...
Instead I'd put your efforts towards OS that will last hopefully 8lbs-35lbs.. I wouldn't encourage sized bc she might become overwhelmed by the number of diapers she will need. These might last the whole time too, but obviously the build of the baby will determine that. Also by doing os, you're giving her more diapers that will last her longer.
As for style, I'd do a pocket w/ adjustable leg elastic. If the husband is weary, I'd make something that closely resembles a disposable - however I'd do a pocket over an AIO just being mindful of dry time.
I think it's sweet that you want to do this for her. It is going to show that you're encouraging her to do cloth but not forceful. If anything, make some matching tops to the diapers and she can always use the outfits whether she CD or not!
OctBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I tbhink for me pockets are easy if on fence. Just grab after all stuffed at one time & put on like disposables. I have one size. Elite fbos I could see lasting a while probably not to potty training to me depending on baby size. No issues with pockets not holding stuff. I like os just cuz our budget. We sgtarted out with 13 & washed everyday.