Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
creativeOTmomma
Registered Users

Advice on NB stash please

I'm due with my first in March & I have been researching NB diapers like crazy. I think I finally have my NB stash narrowed down so see what you think.
I have already bought 24 GMD NB prefolds & 12 GMD small prefolds. I am thinking we will mostly use prefolds during the day & AIO's at night & for convincing my Mother CDs are cute & easy. I am also making 30 wipes, probably flannel, and I have enough material to make 2 large wet bags & at least 1 small/med.

I am currently registered for
2 Kissaluvs fitted
2 Kissa's NB AIO
5 swaddlebees NB simplex
3 Tots Bots Tini Fit
3 Thirsties Duo AIO size 1
2 Thirsties xs covers
2 Bummis NB covers
4 Thirsties Duo Wraps size 1
5 snappis

I'll buy the ones I don't get at my shower & I am thinking 2 more covers? I want to wash every other day. I am also not sure what kind of detergent to use. We use rainwater from a cistern so it is pretty soft water, but we also may use softened well water if our cistern runs low.

Advertisement

creativeOTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
cassmama
Registered Users
seller

I was looking at NB dipes too, due in May. I like simple though so I'm making a bunch of fitteds and bought 2doz NB prefolds, already have tons of bigger ones. Looks good to me, that's what 36 changes? That should be good and you have the yellows as backup I suppose.
BWing, BFing , CDing, and finally preggo with Miles, baby #2!! [/SIZE]

cassmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think everything looks pretty good. I agree with your assessment about getting a couple more covers if you can. I also would not buy everything you're registered for. Pick 12 AIOs that you want, tops, and get them. I would also only get 2 Snappis; 5 is way too many IMO. I would also get more wipes than 30. I think we had around 36 and we ended up needing more. I think we have around 50 now but my kid is and always has been a super-popper. Anyway, 50 certainly hasn't been overkill for us. Finally, do you have a pail and liners or hanging wet bags? You'll need something for the dirties for everyday. Or is they what your large wet bags will be for? If so, I would suggest making or getting another small/medium wet bag too as they can take some time to dry. We have 3 and they all get used lots.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Advice on NB stash please

Agreed, no need for five snappis. I had three and hated them. I'd get 1-2 snappis and 1 pair pins to start.

I personally prefer to wash more diapers, but less often. Diapers wash better in a toploader if it is 1/2 to 2/3 full so they can rub on each other, and with tiny newbie dipes that means 30-40 at a time, along with covers and wipes. I wash twice a week so I have 48 newborn/small diapers (I made 10x12" trifolding preflats and use them trifolded the short way for newborns, folded in half the long way for 12-17 pounds, then 13x15" ones for 18-35 pounders).

I have 50-60 wipes and love that. One side flannel (blankets), other side baby washcloth (tons as gifts) serged together. Best wipes ever.

You will need two pail liners and 1-2 wetbags for travel.

I really loved Grovia OS shells for a true OS cover. They fit well at 8 pounds. Maybe get a couple wool or fleece covers, just to see if you prefer those.

Don't worry about detergent unless the dipes aren't getting clean. Use whatever you already love, however much you would use for a full load of clothes with your soft water.

Last edited by Melinda29; 12-22-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
creativeOTmomma
Registered Users

I have 2 planet wise pail liners for everyday & I am planning on using a step-open trashcan. The wet bags are for when we leave the house. My Hubby & I do a lot of hiking/backpacking so they will come in handy when we get back to taking long trips. I registered for the 5 pack of snappies because amazon had it for only 75 cents more than the 3 pack so it seemed like a better deal. I have 3 cats who will not be allowed in the nursery, but I still in vision them running off with at least one of my snappies.
creativeOTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
mammato2
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have 4 snappis and a set of boingos and sometimes it's a production trying to find one for each of my kids. My toddler likes to take them, so I don't think 5 is a stretch. I'd say your stash sounds good to me, but I also prefer large stashes with lots of options. You definitely have enough listed that you could simplify.

Like me on facebook for a free discount code to the Etsy site!
mammato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
mammato2
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also I found bummis and thirsties covers too big for my newbie. They still leak on him and he's coming up on 11lbs. I much prefer blueberry mini coverall for him, and they are adjustable and cost the same as the bummis and thirsties

Like me on facebook for a free discount code to the Etsy site!
mammato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

To start, my guy was 7lbs 13 oz. I had 30 NB prefolds and 8 covers (3 were Rumparooz, 3 thirsties, 3 bummis oh and also 2 homemade fleece covers), plus 2 snappies and a pair of boingos to start. Washed every other day. At one month, he was 9 lbs, 2 oz

My guy is 6 weeks old (over 10 lbs now) and we've sized up to diaper rite smalls (purple edge) and cut down to just 24 prefolds. I got rid of the rumparooz covers (didn't like the snaps) and bought 3 more thirsties. Still washing every other day. I prefer the boingos. My husband prefers the snappies.

I go back to work in 3 weeks and kiddo goes to daycare. We plan to switch to 18 Bum Genius 3.0 OS Pockets (saved from my DD) during the day and keep the prefolds for night until he grows out snappi them. Then I will use them to stuff in the pockets.