Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #171
quicksilverNHS
Registered Users
seller

What's a good moderately priced one to start my research on? I don't even know what a SSC or any of the abbreviations you've been using are

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Marie CDing, BWing, ERFing, ExtBFing, Picture-Obsessed mama to Smidget (6/09) and 6 angels (6 weeks 9/07, 12 weeks 4/08, 4 weeks 9/10, 15 weeks 04/11, Deagan born alive at 23 weeks 10/11, and 9 weeks 2/12) and wife to AJ since 2005.

[***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40]
quicksilverNHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #172
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverNHS View Post
What's a good moderately priced one to start my research on? I don't even know what a SSC or any of the abbreviations you've been using are

SSC = soft structured carrier like a Beco Butterfly II, Beco Gemini, Ergo, etc.

leviandgarettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #173
quicksilverNHS
Registered Users
seller

I'm torn on getting an ergo/becco or using a wrap (preferably woven, light weight as it gets hot in the summer here...southern Cali is never cold. It was 70 today!)

Marie CDing, BWing, ERFing, ExtBFing, Picture-Obsessed mama to Smidget (6/09) and 6 angels (6 weeks 9/07, 12 weeks 4/08, 4 weeks 9/10, 15 weeks 04/11, Deagan born alive at 23 weeks 10/11, and 9 weeks 2/12) and wife to AJ since 2005.

[***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40]
quicksilverNHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #174
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pregnancy After Loss (December)

Quote:
I'm torn on getting an ergo/becco or using a wrap (preferably woven, light weight as it gets hot in the summer here...southern Cali is never cold. It was 70 today!)

Hey, it was 70 here today, too.

You could do a gauze wrap like Wrapsody if you want to do a carry that has several layers wrapping around yourself and the baby, or you could get a "shortie" (size 2-4) in a thicker variety (like Didymos... they have some thin ones, but most of that brand are medium to thick) and just do single-layer carries, which would be breathable as well.

But, babywearing in general is a hot activity, when you strap a heat-producing infant/toddler onto a heat-producing mama and then start moving around.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #175
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblessedbaby View Post
Wrapping does have a bit of a learning curve, but it was really worth it for me.
I agree - I have a ring sling that I love, so I would just opt for that instead of dealing with the wrap. I think it didn't help that the wrap I have is SO darn long. I could shorten it, but I'm scared of wrecking it.

I just love the idea of wrapping and tying, then tucking baby in, instead of having to deal with baby and wrapping at the same time, kwim? I think I'd be more comfortable with that and use it more often than the wombfruit.
But I don't think I'd buy one new - not with the last baby. I think I saw a few at a local consignment baby store, and there's always FSOT here.

Quote:
What's a good moderately priced one to start my research on?
If you get a couple ideas of things you want to try, check around on FSOT here and see if you can find them - cheaper than buying new - or even better, if someone has ones you're interested in trying and will lend them to you, then you can figure out what you like and buy after trying! A few mamas in my old JuneBug group lent me a couple carriers - made my decision a bit easier.

Quote:
I'm torn on getting an ergo/becco or using a wrap
I have an ergo, a beco, and a mei tai - they're all really comfy and nice to use, though my fav is the mei tai for some reason. I really should get the others listed for sale at some point!
But for itties, I always love using my sling or wrap - I just love having them all tucked in, snuggled close to me when they're so little.
I start using the carriers once baby is 3+ months old - I've never gotten the hang of back carries with the wrap, so I do love the carriers for that once baby is old enough and getting grabby!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #176
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

For a newbie I liked my moby but now I LOVE my beco butterfly II. I have a black one that I will be selling soon. I got a pattern one on super sale so I'm getting rid of my first one.
newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #177
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cant wrap my head around all of the fancy wraps out there...but I did try a sleepy wrap with my last baby...and I liked it much more than my moby, because it was stretchy and a little bit thinner material. After the first few months, I tend to really just like my ergo
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #178
momto2princesses
Registered Users

I have an ergo and Mei tai and love the ergo. I'd love to branch out and try a wrap with this one, but they seem so....complicated? :-) you guys are inspiring me though.

AFM: today I'm having a relatively nausea free day, which of course is freaking me out. I cannot wait until the first tri is over.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #179
Sunshine915
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had a Moby and really didn't like it. I tried with both daughters and never got the big fuss. I also tried a simple wrap (WAHM made) which is a big loop of fabric that you fold in half, wear like a big sash, and put baby in the pouch. Sorry, I am terrible at baby wearing terminology.

I just love my Ergo, personally. It's so easy to put on and baby feels nice and secure. Truthfully, the Ergo works best when baby is a little bigger, though. I use the heart2heart insert for the newbie stage and its nice, but not perfect. I would like a better solution for my newbie, but I'm kinda hesitant to spend more $ on something that I'll probably only use for a couple months, especially when I struck out on wraps before.
Sunshine915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #180
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

Back from MFM. It was a long, informative appt. Long story short: I'll have weekly u/s with MFM until delivery to check for anemia and heart failure (hydrops), weekly NSTs starting at 32+ weeks, and will more than likely deliver at 35-37 weeks (Jan 31-Feb 14) because the scans become unreliable after 35w. The risks of keeping her in (heart failure and death) just aren't worth it.

I'm feeling good with the plan. I really liked the MFM doc, so that helps since I'll be seeing her for the duration of my pregnancy now. I'm not thinking about having a new baby in possibly 6 weeks though because I know I'll start to freak out. I'll wait til DH gets home this afternoon to think about that!

For today, the little lady is perfectly healthy (and 3 lbs 4 oz)!
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote