Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #1
greenacres
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thirsties Duo the way to go?

Hey there ladies! I have been reading and researching for a while now. I am due in Oct. and wanting to CD for the first time. So far, I've decided on GMD organic flats and Thirsties Duo snaps. I like the ease of drying and price of the flats. The fact they are available in organic is awesome. This is the most frugal way I've found of going organic for the cotton thats touching most of the baby. GMD gets great reviews, I'm sold on the flats. I even love the idea of pinning.

Now, covers. I know I want to go with a PUL style cover that's made in USA that's affordable and I don't need a lot of different sizes. So far, Thirsties Duo fits the bill and reviews great. What do y'all think? Anyone using Thirsties duo out there with flats and love them? Hate them? I know I shouldn't get a bunch of the same kind of cover not knowing if I'll like them and be stuck with them, but don't have the $ to experiment with a bunch of different types. The idea of ordering more of what I like once baby comes seems stressful. I want to be prepared and ready to go. Thankfully, I'll be a SAHM so I don't have to worry about daycares dealing with CD. Mostly, it will probably just be my MIL watching the baby and she cloth diapered with my husband and thinks it's the way to go.

Snaps vs. Aplix- I've read snaps are easier for babies with rounder tummys and tend to outlast alplix. Any comments to that? The sound of velcro kind of grates me also, so I like the idea of snaps.

Thanks y'all! I just want to get this narrowed down and order it and feel like I'm prepared. GMD recommends 4 dozen flats and 5-10 covers per size. Does this seem about right? I'm hoping to get away with 6-7 size 1 covers and 5-6 size 2. Thanks again, always look forward to y'alls insightful responses

Advertisement

greenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Thirsties Duo the way to go?

Sounds good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
greenacres
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Sounds good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks MamaChirpy!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
klnra
Registered Users

I only bought snaps at first and my daughter cried every time I went to snap them. She's fine with velcro now or pull-on covers. Also, velcro is much easier for a lot of caregivers... something to keep in mind.

I only bought one type of diaper in preparation for my daughter and they didn't work for us, so I really do think a variety is the best choice. And different situations call for different diapering configurations for us. At night, we like a breathable cover like wool. When we're going to be in the car, a trim-diapered butt is a lot easier to buckle into the car seat, and a cover with double gussets is suddenly a necessity since she's made a habit of pooping in the car at home, I like stretchy wraps since they're thin but full-coverage.

I haven't tried Thirsties yet--they are on my list.
klnra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
klnra
Registered Users

Double post, sorry!

Last edited by klnra; 05-18-2016 at 08:38 AM.
klnra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

Love pad folded flats with duos, HATE pinned flats with duos. Hated duos for the newborn phase. Same problem every time. Cinched front caused wet clothes around the waist. Loved the sized thirsties for nb phase. No idea why they work so much better for us, but they're great.

I really don't like aplix in general so I'm biased there, but I've heard the new thirsties aplix rubs on little bellies.

Eta: if I started with only one kind of cover, I probably would have thrown up my hands and given up. Newborns are a lot of work (especially if your baby has any issues) and people get frustrated really easily when they're exhausted and hormonal. I recommend getting two different kinds of covers if you really want simplicity. Maybe even a dozen small prefolds for just in case. Flats don't fold themselves and it's difficult to fold them with a baby strapped to your chest, believe me, I enjoy folding but I switched to pfs for a while because keeping up with flats for a toddler & nb took too much time. Not everyone ends up wanting to deal with that and they prefer prefolds. If you get smalls you can fold the back down to fit a newborn and trifold when they get too small. GL!

Last edited by Jumbo; 05-18-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
greenacres
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnra View Post
I only bought snaps at first and my daughter cried every time I went to snap them. She's fine with velcro now or pull-on covers. Also, velcro is much easier for a lot of caregivers... something to keep in mind.

I only bought one type of diaper in preparation for my daughter and they didn't work for us, so I really do think a variety is the best choice. And different situations call for different diapering configurations for us. At night, we like a breathable cover like wool. When we're going to be in the car, a trim-diapered butt is a lot easier to buckle into the car seat, and a cover with double gussets is suddenly a necessity since she's made a habit of pooping in the car at home, I like stretchy wraps since they're thin but full-coverage.

I haven't tried Thirsties yet--they are on my list.
Why did she cry? Was it the sound? We won't be using daycare. Thanks for tips!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
greenacres
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Love pad folded flats with duos, HATE pinned flats with duos. Hated duos for the newborn phase. Same problem every time. Cinched front caused wet clothes around the waist. Loved the sized thirsties for nb phase. No idea why they work so much better for us, but they're great.

I really don't like aplix in general so I'm biased there, but I've heard the new thirsties aplix rubs on little bellies.

Eta: if I started with only one kind of cover, I probably would have thrown up my hands and given up. Newborns are a lot of work (especially if your baby has any issues) and people get frustrated really easily when they're exhausted and hormonal. I recommend getting two different kinds of covers if you really want simplicity. Maybe even a dozen small prefolds for just in case. Flats don't fold themselves and it's difficult to fold them with a baby strapped to your chest, believe me, I enjoy folding but I switched to pfs for a while because keeping up with flats for a toddler & nb took too much time. Not everyone ends up wanting to deal with that and they prefer prefolds. If you get smalls you can fold the back down to fit a newborn and trifold when they get too small. GL!
So, for new borns they were cinched because they were too big? I read about the alplix rubbing on bellies too. Yes, I've been going back and forth between flats and PFs. Since this is out first baby, we may have more time than with two kids/babies. Good idea for smalls for newborns, though I may get a couple. I can always use them as burp cloths or something. I read about folding down, I think on GMD. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
FosteringInfants
Registered Users

I've never cd a nb. But we have duos size 1 & 2 (2 kids in dipes) and love them.

We got some huge prefolds from http://www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org they didn't work. But we're still using the Thirsties. I'm loving them with diaper safari tri folds. I just got. Geffen baby prefold to try in them. Way nicer than big puffy prefolds.

See if you qualify for help through the above web site. At least that way you could try things & send them back when You build your stash.

Kelly's closet has a way to try certain dipes & return if that brand doesn't work & trade for some that do.
FosteringInfants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacres View Post
So, for new borns they were cinched because they were too big? I read about the alplix rubbing on bellies too. Yes, I've been going back and forth between flats and PFs. Since this is out first baby, we may have more time than with two kids/babies. Good idea for smalls for newborns, though I may get a couple. I can always use them as burp cloths or something. I read about folding down, I think on GMD. Thanks!
No, many covers have no elastic on the front waistband but thirsties do. For some reason this causes problems for us for the duos but not the sized covers. They look so similar I can't figure out why one works so well for us but the other is awful. If I hadn't tried the sized covers I would have just assumed all thirsties covers would be terrible for us but thankfully I had one xs cover that I liked so I bought more.

As far as having more time to fold, that remains to be seen! Some people have easy babies, some people have babies that wake up every 45 minutes. Im just recommending that you cut yourself some slack just in case
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote