Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
doughpat
Registered Users

Skip NB diapers? Big boy coming?

Hi all-

I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to search through the forums for "the right" diapers. One question that has recently come up is: With an estimated weight of 6-6.5 lbs at 33 weeks (according to US measurements), is it likely that our newborn will be too big for newborn diapers? (assuming he goes to full-term, as all indicators seem to suggest

I don't know if it is genetic, but I'll also mention that I was a very big baby (10lbs. 11 oz).

We are thinking we might just skip to the next stage up and save the money/hassle.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

Last edited by doughpat; 05-16-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added information
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
mama2callabel
Registered Users

Re: Skip NB diapers? Big boy coming?

I'm skipping NB. Just not cost effective for me. I will make do. Both my other kids were 7.5 and this babe has a different father who is a big tall man. I am just going to go to small fitteds and covers right off the bat.
mama2callabel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

The only newborn diaper I've ever used was the simplex, and that's because I can always use them for a few months before we outgrow them. If that wasn't the case I'd probably skip over them as well. I've never tried any others since I tend to have bigger babies. My biggest baby was 9 1/2 lbs.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

I have big babies as well, but I do use NB diapers. I don't use the newborn diapers that fit up to 12 pounds, because those would last for about a week or two, but I did use Simplex (says it goes up to 15 pounds) and Bottombumpers (says it goes up to 18 pounds). If I buy something sized (I bought some Nana's Bottoms for this time around), I buy the smalls and don't mess around with "newborn." All that being said, most of my one size would not have fit at all in the first few weeks. It is just too hard to get them to fit around the legs and they are SO bulky. I did buy some Funky Fluff for this time around because they have a small insert and I have been told that they actually snap down small enough for a newborn.

Do you plan to have more children? If you do, it might make the investment worth it. I'm happy that I had the smaller diapers. However, if you are truly just concerned with the up front cost, using disposables for a few weeks in the beginning will probably be cheaper.

Check out Nana's Bottoms - she frequently runs 30% and 40% off sales and the price point is great.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
abh5e8
Registered Users

I use newborn prefolds. Even with my 8 and 8lb 4 oz babies I found it took a good month before the OS pockets were a good fit. I have used the same prefolds and covers on three babies. This time the diapers are still fine but I did buy new covers. I think cost wise prefolds and covers are a good choice over sposie if you buy used and resell and/or use on multiple kids. Otherwise, go with smalls and a package of NB sposies.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both my babies were big (9 lbs 1 oz & 8 lbs 10 oz). I did not do NB diapers just bc I didn't want to make the investment and I find it easier in the first few weeks to just use disposables. But they both would have fit NB diapers for a worthwhile amount of time if I had chosen to do so. Even though they were big they did not grow real quickly (at first) and stayed in NB clothing tell about 6 weeks.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Jumping in to say that at my 33 week apt the ultrasound showed over 6lbs as well! He had been measuring on the bigger side and my fundal height was always a few weeks more than I how many weeks I am but at the appointment it really put it into perspective assuming it ends up being accurate. I have a 36 week ultrasound tomorrow and I am curious to see what the measurements show. Aside from all that, I have all thirsties duo size 1 covers and size small prefolds. I figure if he ended up being born smaller I could always order some diapers while still in the hospital and they would be delivered probably before we even got home, rather than buying nb prefolds and covers and wasting money if he does indeed end up being a bigger baby.
Married to the love of my life and lucky momma to our 5 kids! Pregnant with #6!
mommadeeof4+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #8
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I had an ultrasound at 34 weeks that measured baby at 6#3 oz. I've been measuring 2-4 weeks ahead fundal wise too. But I'm not worried. My others did this and then slowed towards the end. My first was 8.5 and my second was 8.11. Either way I wouldn't have skipped nb cloth. Get items that grow with baby but ds2 grew fast and I still didn't like my one size stash until 1 month. If skipping nb expect to use sposies is my only advice.

Eta : I was 10 pounds and hubby was 9.15. So we expected huge babies. Doesn't always work that way.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:47 AM   #9
doughpat
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I wonder if maybe a reasonable approach might be to order a reasonable quantity of newborn prefolds and a bunch of those snappy things, and just use those for the first few weeks (and/or some sposies). Though I guess I'd need some covers too? Hmm. Maybe I need to just suck it up and get some newborn AI2's as well.

But I think I'll focus my spending on some AI2's that are aimed for the 12-30 lb range (i.e. the Capri 2).
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would suggest prefolds, snappis and 6 covers vs. an AI2 system. Or get the capris covers but use over a prefold. Newborn poo is runny and and they poop constantly. We could easily change a dozen diapers a day. With an AI2 you likely will need to change the cover often because of poo getting on it. Prefolds and a snappi do a good job of containing the poo and covers can be reused a few times. Check YouTube for videos of getting the fit right to contain the poo.