Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #51
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Aug '11 - December Chat

goodness, the news out of Conneticut is just heartbreaking. Makes me wonder about talking with sydney and elijah about such things. I wonder what they would do in such a situation. just terrifying. sydney's school is all kindergarteners (over 300 kids). each room has an exterior door to it, so they would be able to get out. makes me scared to have to think such things.

Advertisement

heyuitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #52
estradaamyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It is heart wrenching. We have not had the tv on. People can think I'm a crazy helicopter Mama, I'm not letting my kids know of this evil.
estradaamyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #53
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by estradaamyl View Post
It is heart wrenching. We have not had the tv on. People can think I'm a crazy helicopter Mama, I'm not letting my kids know of this evil.
Mine have no idea either. I just cant stop thinking about it, too close to home having a 6.5 year old.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #54
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if my kids know about it either. I had to turn the tv off just watching it myself- I don't want them to have to try and make sense of it. It's so scary knowing that could be ANYWHERE.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #55
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dh just said to me the other day "that's it we are homeschooling" He has allways wanted to but I think it is a def possibility now. I know we can not shelter our kids from everything but we can do what we think is best.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #56
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I cried and cried on Friday as I learned the details....it really hit close to home having a first grader and kindergartener. They know nothing of what happened, and I hope they do not find out at school. My girls already struggle with going to school some days, and I imagine information like this would be the end of public school for us. Having been a teacher who has been in a classroom full of kids on lockdown before, this scared the crap out of me. It certainly has made me question our schooling options.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #57
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I guess I'm the odd man out. My kids know. I told them when they heard it on the news. They know things happen in the world we sometimes cannot prevent. I cried over it and they can feel that it was a horrible thing. I prayed for the families with each of them at bedtime, along with normal praying. I feel it's a lesson for them to be thankful for every breath, and for the families they have. I know it sounds morbid but death is a part of life and unfortunately the world we live in is filled with sin. On the other hand, I've told them that those children are with Jesus and they are not in pain, or sad. They find peace in knowing that and so do I. I am broken hearted for the families directly affected by this and I am praying for peace and comfort. I am also praying for the shooters. I know many may not understand that but I feel compelled to. I cannot fathom having a mind that comes to the decision that shooting up a school, or killing anyone really, is a rational thing. I cannot understand what has to be so bad, that this is the rationale you develop. It makes me sad. I don't question public school. I believe in Gods plans and I trust that He is in control. Even during times I can't understand, and that is how I cope with things like this.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #58
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Carrie--I was in a lockdown situation with 2nd graders. Some 3rd grader thought it would be a good idea to write on the wall that he was going to blow up the school. These poor little babies were so scared they kept asking "is this the war?" It was such a difficult time.

Britt--my kids know too. I know they are young and I would get bashed for them knowing but we let our kids know what the world is like sometimes good and bad.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #59
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dh and I have grappled with the idea of telling them all weekend...it's such a hard choice. I totally understand why you did. In one way I want to tell them to prepare them for a situation like this God forbid it ever happens, and in another way I want to shelter them since they already have anxiety being away from me. Dd1 was talking with our pediatrician last week at her 7 year well visit about school, and she told her that she didn't like school because she had to be away from me. It breaks my heart to hear that, but I believe in public schools...they go to a fantastic school now.
Also, I don't want them to be totally naive and know that there is evil in this world. It's so incredibly sad that this is something that we even have to think about now.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #60
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katengrace
Dh and I have grappled with the idea of telling them all weekend...it's such a hard choice. I totally understand why you did. In one way I want to tell them to prepare them for a situation like this God forbid it ever happens, and in another way I want to shelter them since they already have anxiety being away from me. Dd1 was talking with our pediatrician last week at her 7 year well visit about school, and she told her that she didn't like school because she had to be away from me. It breaks my heart to hear that, but I believe in public schools...they go to a fantastic school now.
Also, I don't want them to be totally naive and know that there is evil in this world. It's so incredibly sad that this is something that we even have to think about now.
In all of this this, the part that this is what our world has come too, is the saddest part to me. Our world is falling.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote