Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bad weight gain

I can't see how solids would help. If I wanted to gain weight I wouldn't eat a carrot, pea or peach - kwim?

That weight gain seems something to keep an eye on but no need to panic.

Maybe pump and top he up with a bottle? I found my girls would always take an oz or two out of a bottle after nursing even if they weren't really hungry. It's just easy for them.

Advertisement

isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

7 weeks is waaaaay too early. that dr sounds like a quack, id find a new dr.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Also can you perhaps try nursing every 2 hours verses every 3 hours. Don't wait for baby to ask to feed. Offer to feed. When baby cries for whatever reason instead of trying to console baby in other ways offer to nurse.
Yeah. That's what I would do. I offer nursing for everything when babies are little.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
7 weeks is waaaaay too early. that dr sounds like a quack, id find a new dr.
She has only gained 1lb1oz in 7 weeks. Baby is 4 months old, but still too early for solids IMO.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
ans7
Registered Users

We had weight gain issues and I met with a lactation consultant regularly to have him weighed before and after nursing to get an idea of how much he was taking in. I found that the doctor was a little more concerned with the weight gain than the lactation consultant, maybe you could find a supportive consultant. I would also say that my lactation consulatant was a bigger champion of breastfeeding than the pediatrician. My little guy loves solid food and he'll eat a good amount, but as stated above no one's packing on the pounds from peas and carrots and cereal doesn't have all that much nutrition aside from the formula/bm its mixed with. If you have a milk supply issue adding in solids is only going to make it worse. I would get your latch checked, and there are things you can take to increase supply like fenugreek which I've used with great success. If you have a pump you can try to pump first thing in the morning when your supply is the greatest and give a bottle of the pumped milk.
ans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I got pressured into rice cereal in a bottle at 4 months with my lean EBF baby last time. I will not make that mistake this time.

Please get additional help or a second opinion!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
She has only gained 1lb1oz in 7 weeks. Baby is 4 months old, but still too early for solids IMO.
meaning the dr is a quack for giving her way bad advice. shame on him
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh wait i misread and thought the baby was only 7 weeks lol i think 4 months is ok to start solids for some babies. id focus on fats over fruits/veggies
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #19
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

from 11 weeks to 18weeks dd1 only gained 1 lb 10 oz. i was not at all concerned. all my babies (even ds1 who was ff) are slow growers

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 12-04-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think why I'm concerned and the dr is concerned is that she is not gaining but also dropping percentiles... She left the hospital in the 20th for weight and 19th for height by 2 months she was in the 56th for weight and 30th for height at 4 months she is in the 15th for weight and 85th for height.

I am going to try and find an ibclc but in the meantime I'm going to give her a little extra breast milk after every feeding. The ped wanted her to have 2-4TBS of oatmeal mixed with breast milk 2-3x a day so I'm going to just give her the breast milk for now and go from there.

I did order some vitamins to help up my supply so I can pump more (with as often as she eats it's hard to pump anything now) and then if I need to give a bottle after a feed I can just use that. I'm going to try and take dairy out of my diet but I doubt it will help, I tried that when she was 2 weeks old and it did not help any of her symptoms but maybe it will help with weight gain :shrug:

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote