Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #41
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you see - tricky ultrasound.

Here's my professional opinion (which doesn't mean much based off one still shot, zoomed in too far to see any other anatomy for reference):
1. The umbilical cord is not the area of question. In the very center of the screen there may be a small segment of cord pictured in a longitudinal plane.
2. There are 3 lines in the picture but honestly, the whole area in question is shaped more like a penis and appears to be pressed up against the thigh like a penis would. IF there were another thigh in the picture to show reference to how the area in question is positioned between the legs it would be a lot easier to see.
OP did you zoom in or is the the entire picture?

Advertisement

S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #42
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikemommy View Post
Here's my professional opinion (which doesn't mean much based off one still shot, zoomed in too far to see any other anatomy for reference):
1. The umbilical cord is not the area of question. In the very center of the screen there may be a small segment of cord pictured in a longitudinal plane.
2. There are 3 lines in the picture but honestly, the whole area in question is shaped more like a penis and appears to be pressed up against the thigh like a penis would. IF there were another thigh in the picture to show reference to how the area in question is positioned between the legs it would be a lot easier to see.
OP did you zoom in or is the the entire picture?
A friend of mine took the picture with her phone, and it is zoomed in a TINY bit, but there's nothing else even in the original picture. This is a diagonal potty shot. Like, if I were sitting in a chair, with a camera two feet in front of me, and my legs spread - this is what you would see. It's not from directly under the baby, but just a littttle bit at an angle. The head is off to the right of the picture, and the feet off to the left (not IN the picture, though - just trying to help you understand the angle it was taken at). It's almost like taking a picture from in front of you, while sitting down, up your own skirt.

What a horrible way to say that... I'm just trying to help you guys understand at what angle, and where from the picture was taken. This picture looks NOTHING like my boys. All three of my boys had HUGE testicles (not joking, about the size of a tennis ball) when they were born. There was NO mistaking them. In fact, my youngest was deemed a boy from the side - we didn't even need a potty shot - that's how big his parts were.

If this is a picture of anywhere under the legs... I'm just not seeing a penis. The lines are SO much more clear on the actual ultrasound, and they are shaped like / | \ that. Like a vagina. I don't see how there's anyway at all that it could be mistaken for the three lines that can be seen on a boy, even if that WERE the case. I've looked at a TON of ultrasounds in the last two days, and a boys three lines, to me, look more like ( | ). A butt... or something. These lines are straight, and M shaped.

Now I just sound like I'm trying to convince everyone that it's a girl? ...maybe I am. Ergh. So torn.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #43
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
I know it's got to be heartbreaking to feel like you're in limbo. Don't give up hope, though. This is just a terrible picture unfortunately. Why do you have to wait 6 more weeks (24 weeks?) for your anatomy scan? Does your doctor not do it at 20 weeks?
Nope. At the VERY earliest he said he would do it at 22 weeks... no sooner. 22-24 weeks is his preference, but he said he'd go as late as 26 weeks. No way in HECK am I waiting that long. Right now, I'm looking at about the middle of January for my anatomy scan. It won't be scheduled until I go to my next appt on December 18th.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #44
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Since were talking symbols....

I'm pregnant with our second little girl. Her u/s looked like this (\) and super swollen. When the check a month later the swelling had gone down and you could clearly see a girl.

Hopefully you'll get a better view next time! It sucks to want to know but have a mishap during the u/s.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #45
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
A friend of mine took the picture with her phone, and it is zoomed in a TINY bit, but there's nothing else even in the original picture. This is a diagonal potty shot. Like, if I were sitting in a chair, with a camera two feet in front of me, and my legs spread - this is what you would see. It's not from directly under the baby, but just a littttle bit at an angle. The head is off to the right of the picture, and the feet off to the left (not IN the picture, though - just trying to help you understand the angle it was taken at). It's almost like taking a picture from in front of you, while sitting down, up your own skirt.

What a horrible way to say that... I'm just trying to help you guys understand at what angle, and where from the picture was taken. This picture looks NOTHING like my boys. All three of my boys had HUGE testicles (not joking, about the size of a tennis ball) when they were born. There was NO mistaking them. In fact, my youngest was deemed a boy from the side - we didn't even need a potty shot - that's how big his parts were.

If this is a picture of anywhere under the legs... I'm just not seeing a penis. The lines are SO much more clear on the actual ultrasound, and they are shaped like / | \ that. Like a vagina. I don't see how there's anyway at all that it could be mistaken for the three lines that can be seen on a boy, even if that WERE the case. I've looked at a TON of ultrasounds in the last two days, and a boys three lines, to me, look more like ( | ). A butt... or something. These lines are straight, and M shaped.

Now I just sound like I'm trying to convince everyone that it's a girl? ...maybe I am. Ergh. So torn.
It's just a really crappy picture to determine sex off of, probably why she didn't say anything. If you are taking her "3 lines" comment to be her telling you it was a girl...well, unless you pointed to the screen and showed her which 3 lines you were referring to she could have very easily been referring to the cord. If I'm not allowed to tell someone something I sure don't beat around the bush at it.
There was a mama on here not long ago that was certain the Dr. gave away the sex of her baby when he pointed out the Rt. and Lt ovaries..... she was devastated. Turns out he was talking about HER ovaries which are routinely imaged during an OB scan.
Just trying to point out that things can be taken in very different ways depending on your perspective.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #46
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikemommy View Post
It's just a really crappy picture to determine sex off of, probably why she didn't say anything. If you are taking her "3 lines" comment to be her telling you it was a girl...well, unless you pointed to the screen and showed her which 3 lines you were referring to she could have very easily been referring to the cord. If I'm not allowed to tell someone something I sure don't beat around the bush at it.
There was a mama on here not long ago that was certain the Dr. gave away the sex of her baby when he pointed out the Rt. and Lt ovaries..... she was devastated. Turns out he was talking about HER ovaries which are routinely imaged during an OB scan.
Just trying to point out that things can be taken in very different ways depending on your perspective.

She did point to the three lines. It was the lines right in the middle of the picture. Because I don't have girls, I didn't know what I was looking at. Honestly, if she WOULDN'T have pointed them out, I wouldn't have even known what the heck I was looking at. My friend that was with me said, "Do you think she's having a girl?" And the lady nodded. Did she say, "You're having a girl" Nope. She didn't. But that was all I needed for confirmation! Until I started posting this picture on the internet... and now I'm doubting myself. :/ And the tech. And my friend with three girls. And my sanity!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #47
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, I'd take her word for it. She scanned the baby in real-time which gives a much clearer image than one still picture.

ETA: The 3 lines in the "middle of the picture"? Are you referring to the lines within what you believe are the girl part or the 3 white lines in the very center of the picture just in front of and slightly under the "sex organ".
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in

Last edited by Pikemommy; 12-04-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #48
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #49
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

I think that's cord.

ETA: This is a screen shot from a phone isn't it? lol.... I thought you were taking a picture of a picture and had zoomed into the groin. I couldn't see the machine information and frequencies of the probe on the top like in a regular print-out, that makes much more sense now. Still wouldn't call that a girl because of 3 echogenic lines in the middle of nowhere land..... so many things could make 3 lines like that.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in

Last edited by Pikemommy; 12-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #50
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikemommy
I think that's cord.
I agree. In that case the vagina would be floating around b/c its no where near the crotch. Plus those lines are long and spread far apart. Usually the "vagina lines" are dark not light b/c it is the shadows between folds of skin.

This baby could very well be a girl but I do not believe that is a vagina.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote