Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
MaileMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Essure?

I'm pg with #2, due 7/26. Afterwards i am wanting to get sterilized. I was offered Essure as a cheaper/surgery free alternative. I was wondering if anyone, or anyone you know has had this procedure.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
Re: Essure?

I haven't but I almost did. I went through a consultation and was in the process of being scheduled for the procedure. My OB pointed out that if you are allergic to nickel you shouldn't get it. Some signs you are allergic to nickel are if you can't wear cheap jewelry (I can't, my ears swell if I try to put anything but gold earrings in them). So, I ended up deciding not to get it as I was too afraid of the side effects (I've read a lot of stories online of people who didn't know they were allergic to nickel getting them).

That would be my only word of caution.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller

Can't they test for that? I've never had a problem with cheap jewelry but I would hate to find out *that* way. Yikes. I like the idea of Essure, though. I may consider it later.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

I chickened out on that procedure too. My doc sort of pushed for that one as opposed to the tubal. It seems so archaic and brutal.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
MaileMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiSapphireJade View Post
I haven't but I almost did. I went through a consultation and was in the process of being scheduled for the procedure. My OB pointed out that if you are allergic to nickel you shouldn't get it. Some signs you are allergic to nickel are if you can't wear cheap jewelry (I can't, my ears swell if I try to put anything but gold earrings in them). So, I ended up deciding not to get it as I was too afraid of the side effects (I've read a lot of stories online of people who didn't know they were allergic to nickel getting them).

That would be my only word of caution.
Thank you so much! i am very allergic to nickel. You have made up my mind. Thanks so much!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
swingkid1975
Registered Users

Since you're allergic to nickel you might be out, but for anyone's who's not allergic and who's still interested I had it done yesterday.

My doc did it under general anesthesia at an outpatient surgicenter. She did it that way because it's more controlled, and we also agreed that if for whatever reason she couldn't get the placement right that she'd continue on and do a traditional tubal ligation.

I went in and they got me prepped and I met with the anesthesiologist. They put the IV in my arm and brought me back to the OR. I hopped up on the table and 45 minutes later I woke up in recovery. I had very minimal bleeding the first couple of hours, but no pain or cramping. I went home after about an hour in recovery, stopped for dinner on the way home. I'm now 28 hours post-op, and I feel fine. I cleaned the house today, ran errands, had my FIL over for lunch.

The hardest part was no driving and no heavy lifting the first 24 hours. Very hard with a clingy 19 month old. So far, I'd highly recommend this as a permanent birth control.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller

I hope it continues to work out well for you.

Please update in a few months if you remember!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
TheKayla
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well crap... I can't wear cheap earrings, but I was looking forward to the Essure. I have spoken with my DR, and he never mentioned anything about nickel before. *sigh*
TheKayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
MaileMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

swingkid-you're story is very encouraging

Kayla-I spoke to my Dr about the nickle, she said it contains less nickle than what is in tap water. She said She would send me for an allergy test but it would most likely come back positive and to be safe i should probably not get it. She did mention that the manufacturer was considering making the Essure without nickle so that complication would be eliminated and therefore an available option to more patients.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am getting it after this baby is born. My dr did mention the nickle thing, but I am no allergic. She is doing it in office and she highly recommends the procedure. It seems less invasive to me than a tubal.