Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: which HE washers allow hot hot water?

We have a Whirlpool Cabrio top loader and I LOVE it! We have Organic Cotton (BGE), Microfiber (FB) and Fleece. I soak on hot first then wash hot and get tons of water oh, and you can select soil level.

Advertisement

Last edited by cdeweese; 12-03-2012 at 05:57 PM.
cdeweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a Fisher-Paykel Aquasmart - it's an HE top loader. We've had it for 3 years and I can't say enough about it. You can change water temp, and it has the option to switch to a conventional (i.e. lots of water) cycle if needed. It also has a diaper rinse cycle that I've used on occasion.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I may be needing a new washer and am open to front or top loaders, but could you tell me if yours has the ability to have hot hot water?
Which HE washers work well for cloth?
What type of dipes do you own?
Do you like your HE washer? THX!

ETA: which ones allow a bit more water in the drum? (not weight controlled)
I'm totally skeptical of this "weight-controlled" thing I hear so much about here. Every FL I've ever researched (admittedly, not all of them, but anyway...) has a water level sensor that determines what the water level is after the clothes have tumbled for a bit and absorbed as much water as they're going to. That's why FLers fill with water, tumble for a bit, add more water, tumble, etc. Sure, you'll get more water if you add some towels to your load of diapers, but that excess water is sucked up by the towels, not flowing around in the drum.

That said - we have a Bosch FLer that I love. We've had it for 4 years, do ridiculous amounts of laundry, and it's still in stellar condition. It has a sanitary cycle that I've never used for diapers because it gets to be around 170, but it also has a 'Kids Care' something-or-other cycle that also heats the water, but not as hot as the sanitary cycle, and that's what I use if my diapers get funky for some reason (ahem, like not washing for a week ). Usually I wash on warm and diapers come out in pristine condition. We use Simplex, Peachy Greens, and 4.0s stuffed with natural fabrics.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by va703
. It also has a diaper rinse cycle that I've used on occasion.
You have a specific diaper rinse cycle?!?! That's cool!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

You should check out top-loading he washers. Best of both worlds if you ask me. No need to worry about the rubber seal getting gross. We've had ours for 3 yrs.....washing cds for 4 months. It has a bulky items setting that fills the drum with water regardless of the weight. I love my washer!
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
croth7
Registered Users
seller

Samsung HE top loader. Water gets super hot and it has a sanitize cycle. We also have a bedding setting that uses a great amount of water. I traded in my Bosch FL for this because I could never get enough water.
croth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
lakemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
I have an LG steam set that has a sanitary cycle. I use it for diapers and have been for over 4 years. Works great!
Me too, and it's amazing. I rarely get stains, and I LOVE the programming option. I push one button for my diaper cycle and walk away. I have no problem with the amount of water in the drum at all. In fact I'm buying the same thing for our other house, I love them that much!
lakemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #18
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I think the heat of the water depends on the setting on your water heater, and its capacity, not the washing machine. Or are there washing machines now that heat the water, like a dishwasher does?

A few things to think about before using "hot hot" water ...

-- It's not necessary to adequately sanitize diapers
-- It does harm elastic; the elastic most manufacturers use is rated for up to 100 degrees.
-- Several diaper warranties (such as BumGenius) are voided if your water is hotter than 100 degrees.

Your detergent, and rinsing well (and ASAP after use) are what keeps diapers cleanest. Hot water if they're not rinsed extremely well can just set in what's there.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
MaryInPinedale
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an LG front loader. I love it. I do a rinse and spin cycle first with the spin on low so the diapers still are heavy with water. This does cause it to add more water in the next cycle. Then a heavy hot wash with the *water plus button on. I can also automatically add an extra rinse. It does have a sanitize setting for extra hot water. I am not sure exactly how hot it gets but it is hot. I have only used that cycle a couple of times. Right now I wouldn't trade my washer for anything.
MaryInPinedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a Samsung FL that I traded in; the 'hot' water was only about 80 degrees d/t some wacky energy saving regulations. I had it serviced and the repairman told me that there was nothing wrong with the machine, it was supposed to be like that. The sanitary cycle was the only cycle that actually had hot water, but it was like a 3 hour long cycle.

I traded it in for a Whirlpool Duet FL, I am actually happy with it. From reading the manual, the whitest whites setting uses an on board heater to keep the water on "hot" at 127 F, or the Sanitary cycle at 150 F. I use "hot" for diapers and so far no problems.

The reasons "hot" cycles often don't end up hot are: 1. water that first comes out of the pipes is cold 2. the drum is cold, so the hot water loses some heat from that and 3. wacky regulations about being energy efficient mean that cold water gets mixed in with the hot.

Salesmen that I talked to were pretty clueless about the whole hot water thing. Good luck shopping.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote